Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That each of the five empires technically has an equal say in all CONCORD matters? Read more in the Chronicle.

Author Topic: How to RP or write about an Amarr Holder and related persons  (Read 1534 times)

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/

There has been some discussion of how Holders should act, and whether actual Holders would have time to be a capsuleer, or would be busy with their Holding.

This leaves 2 of the Amarr ancestry options in a bit of a pickle - "Liberal Holder" and "Religious Reclaimer" are frequently interpreted by players as having an actual Holding Title, the alternate interpretation is that the player character is a sibling or non-first child of the actual Holder, and is out of the line of succession, and thus has literally nothing better to do than to be a capsuleer and quest for Glory and so on, much like in how many tales of knights, the knight is a 3rd or 4th son, and thus has few duties assigned to them, and have the free time to go to tournaments, fight dragons and other such things.

There is also discussion about how a member of an actual feudal nobility would act. Unlike most contemporary nobility, Amarr nobles play an active part in the governance of the Empire.

When thinking of things to write about for my stories, and family background for my characters, a good source of inspiration that I found, was a collection of tales of how several local noble families acted in past centuries, in times when the nobility was an active part of the governance of the country.
These tales can be read at: http://www.maybole.org/history/books/legends/ofayrshire.htm

The one about the challenge to a rival about tethering a pig on their land was particularly good, I thought, for inspiration about Holder disputes.
\o/

Utari Onzo

Interesting read.

I've rather enjoyed placing Utari as the 'unwanted' grandson of a Holder. He occupies an awkward spot in Amarrian society, being born of foreign soil and a real mixed bag of heritage (Civre/True Amarr/Ni-Kunni) but after discussion with various other Amarr RPers he seems to sit between wealthy commoner and unlanded nobility. He never will be a Holder by combination of his own choice, and his younger brother being the proclaimed heir of House Gallius.

On that note, I really should get round to playing Thiago my Holder char more, but when outside of RP there's not much to do as he's skilling core skills and can't fly a ship, there's little motivation to start.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/

It's in the PF, that some very minor Holders, their only holding may be a volume of space, without even any asteroids in it.

I think some of these Holders, that right there, is the motivation and the reason why they were willing to become a capsuleer, and how they can afford the time to be a capsuleer. Their Holding literally consists of nothing and takes no effort to run, which means they can attempt to win real property and glory and so on, through capsuleering.
\o/