Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The nation of Jin-Mei is the latest addition to the Federation? For more, read here.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Jamy visits Throne worlds and Safizon, shows up in Titan??  (Read 10338 times)

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain

Your Holiness, I beg of you, double my ISK.

"What you give to this empire I will give you back two-fold."

best scam everrr!

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain

Actually, getting Jamyl killed opens up all kinds of content for the Amarr RP community....

What needs to be resolved quickly though, is the next heir...it cannot be more than 6 months....otherwise that would look bad.

Liuni Kalthis

• Wetgraver

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.

I'd question the implication that we don't/didn't put in the work.

Either way, you guys can still have fun with the Empress. Locator agents have her docked in Chaven. Go make up crazy conspiracy theories on the IGS, heh.

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire

I'd question the implication that we don't/didn't put in the work.

I wouldn't.

As someone who has been active in the Minmatar RP scene for the last 5 years, there has never been as much effort put into making a true factional community as the Amarr roleplayers have expended. There have been attempts, but Minmatar are tribal by nature and none of them have got very far or lasted that long. As there is no real sense of community, Minmatar RP has become increasingly insular until people get bored and move on/quit the game.

Plus, we did get an event like this, albeit not an in space one. Our leader got assassinated remember?

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod

The work was still put in, even if the faction is through PF a lot less unified and thus nigh impossible to form a community of. I've watched the Minmatar RP community for a very long time, seven years so far, and there's been a humongous amount of work put into it.

As for us getting events, my point was that ours uniformly portrayed us as incompetent, stupid and ridiculous. We also haven't had a long series of them, in space, having sizable fleets and interactions.

We need a draw more than ever, and what we're seeing is a locked playground we can't really do anything but yell at through the fence, where everyone else is invited. Oh, we can come too... let's just leave the faction we're in. Do it! Do it now! Can't you see how much fun it is to be an Amarrian loyalist?

Yeah, sod the Minnies.

It may not be fair, but it is how it looks from here.

Laerise [PIE]

• Definetly not a Khanid !
  • Pod Captain
  • TANKRED ENDURES
    • PIE Forums

Yeah, because getting bent over by having our emperor killed, then having our homeworlds ravaged by the minmatar (and being robbed of a chance at vengeance by bullshit FW mechanics) and then having our empress killed... yeah we have it so good Mizhara.

And it's not like the amarr community never had an ebb and flow in interrest and membership, no.
I don't know why, if what you say is true, no clue, the mini community collapsed. It's a real shame, but, honestly, the amarr are just as "fractured" as the minmatar. You have tribes, we have houses...

Lyn Farel

Oh, please, I left comms yersterday for that exact same reason. Going to such highs to ad-hominem on Falcon because you are all... well... Maybe he is biased, maybe not, but those gratuitous assumptions are just petty. People were Q.Q-ing all over the place because their faction got a beating... If you are here to play and do not accept to lose, then I have no words.

At least they didn't pulled a Midular/Colelie like they inflicted upon the Minmatar.

I don't even see how this makes the Amarr look bad. All the minmatar characters being smug all over it are really annoying you ? They did not even do anything for it to happen... Colelie though, made the Minmatar look like utter idiots.

Now then, i'm not saying that the Amarr never got hurt by CCP storylines. In the past, they spent their time looking like cosmic buffons (and i'm not even speaking about satirical frothing at the mouth depictions of them). But I think most major factions at some point looked like incompetent drooling idiots, especially after TEA. Kador aggroing stupidly Solitude ? Check. CONCORD being utter incompetent, and more and more today ? Check. Minmatar at Colelie ? Check. Caldari and Gallente at operation Highlander (we can doomsday the Shigeru before it can even fire ? No, better to risk everything by bringing up stupid dreads) ? Check. The Amarr when the Elder attacked ? Check... Well, ok, they had the corrupted Imperial Family under Karsoth interregnum... I can go on and on like that.

Also, the fact that Jamyl got killed was probably part of the cleanup that was expected for long around all the TonyG crap that TEA included into the game. With a little chance this death separated her from that stupid Other, and if she comes back, she might be clean for once. For one, I am happy that it is eventually happening. We got rid of Hethler (had no special issue with the character, but what he brought to the State with Dragonaurs was awful), we got rid of Midular (RIP), and now, zombie Jamyl and her Other. Good riddance. 

Maybe it will even bring RP and evolution in Amarr society, with Sacred Flesh, Shatol'Syn, Royal Heir stuff, etc. Maybe we will get a proper character as Emperor like Yonis, with Aritcio as his right hand... I think it's a bit early to say that the story has turned rotten for the Amarr yet.

I'm not arguing that the event was well conducted. Some pointed out that they could at least have left all those drifters on field for players to have fun. Yeah I agree. It would have been better. People could have took their vengeance on them and vented their anger.

People are surprised that everything is on rails. Well, it's CCP live events for you. They are all like that, and while some allow you to at least have fun in a giant grindfeast in shooting at hordes of NPCs in the middle of an overcrowded local (600+ yersterday), they are all on rails. I don't like it, but it has always been like that. Some more successful than others, but it has always been. Is that a good way to be GM-ing a tabletop ? I don't think so. Do they want it to be like a tabletop ? Probably not, maybe more like a movie you seat back and enjoy... But then how does that fit in a game where it's explicitly told that it's all about sandbox and player actions that shape the world ?

Well I guess it doesn't when it comes to the NPC world, as usual... But nothing new here. It has been like that since the fall of Aurora in 2005...

This thread is just turning into a pissing contest as to whom faction has suffered the most...

Lyn Farel

On the Minmatar collapse, maybe the depiction of the Republic is a part of the reasons... But I also feel that EM collapse was the fatal blow. It would be like if today PIE or CVA collapsed at the same time.

Why is there no new Minmatar initiative is the same reason that plagued the Gallente since the fall of Acheron in 2006, and now might also impact the Caldari with the leave of most old Caldari RP pillars like Dex, etc. We do not lack that much of Minmatar, Gallente or Caldari characters. Their players just happen to be spread all over various non-RP or very light-RP entities. By their choice favoring gameplay over RP, and the friends they got there, they are not really willing to invest fully into a new Minmatar, Gallente or Caldari serious RP venture that are not guaranted to succeed...

And that's perfectly legitimate! Some people put RP before everything else, some the fun and the gameplay they have ingame. Guess who are the most happy usually ? The latter... And that said by someone who is clearly, 100% part of the former group.

So yes, I think that the Amarr bloc works well because a lot of their old RP pillars are still there and a lot of them are players that are part of the former group. And a lot of them share the same ingame activities too.

But I'll tell you something though: if nobody Minmatar, Gallente, or Caldari, tries to seriously put up something and invest in it by actively contacting and lobbying other loyalists, trying to pull them out of their current bubbles, mount a brilliant PR campaign with additional awesome art, corporate/alliance identity, and promise a messianic new rebirth of the faction, then nothing is going to happen. Period.

OOC factional channels were put up by Arkon for that precise reason, and they are a great, great idea, and could be so much more as tools. Maybe they might get eventually supplanted by another, more private channel like it was the case for the Amarr.OOC (which is a shame), but at least it would kickstart the thing pretty well.

I say, even if Minmatar players do not wish to drop it all to start something like that, the very fact is that I see very few of them actually trying to talk with each other through those channels and mount common operations and actions to react to lore news, events, or what the Amarr bloc does.

Well at least, that's what I have been able to gather through observation ingame. And I can relate, really... I have spent a lot of time severed from the Amarr bloc and it was not easy. I too complained a lot that I was cut off from everything and that the only access was through general channels like the Summit... Because yes, there is a clique mentality, and it's a shame.

The Rook

• Watcher in the Void
  • Egger
    • FalconNET

The Tony G cleanup is still happening. That is more or less what everyone wanted for years.

Jev North

• Egger

Don't let the current welfare of your character's chosen faction determine your own. How much shit any one of them is currently taking is completely out of your and your characters' control anyway.

Don't play the Agony Olympics to win. Just do the things you can do.
Pinocchio forces another handful of flesh into his tiny wooden mouth. "You are what you eat," he sobs. "You are what you eat."

Shaikar

• Clonejack

The Tony G cleanup is still happening. That is more or less what everyone wanted for years.
I think the problem is not that "the cleanup" is happening, it's the way it's happening. It actually feels like Tony G all over again and not a "cleanup" at all.

As for yesterday's event, it was deeply disappointing. It was a damp squib at the end of a chain of events that had been a lot of fun.
The end result is ok - it's clear CCP had decided where that train was terminating - but given the last few weeks of events and the CCP teasing in the news, we had a lot of people put in a lot of effort to get set up for something awesome yesterday. We had people in fleet for hours before the event due to the hazy time window and mad keen the teasers and trailers had generated through mentions of the handover and a nice big parade, whilst previous events suggested a big fight with the drifters was likely, so this was clearly going to be a BIG THING.

And IC, it was.

However what the players got was a few words in local before an unstoppable drifter fleet warped in, instablapped the titan+pod then warped out again. That was it. There was nothing to engage with, so people were left feeling like they'd just wasted a lot of time. Now, some of that was self inflicted - CCP didn't force us to turn up after all - but that doesn't help with the feelings of disappointment.

That said, it's done now, and by most accounts the previous events were much better. So here's to hoping the followup events and storyline are good and well paced!
It would be nice to have a stable faction, free from rubbish space ghosts etc for at least some amount of time.
(Counting down to Dam Torsad blowing up in 10, 9...  :lol: )
« Last Edit: 22 Aug 2015, 07:13 by Shaikar »

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor

What Shaikar said. I went in expecting the empress to probably die, and I was more or less okay with this. What I wasn't okay with was spending a week getting people informed and 5 hours putting a fleet together only to have a two minute event that we were completely unable to actually participate in. I feel rather guilty of the fact that I had suggested people take off work and get up early on the expectation that there would be something more than just a two minute assassination.

The direction the plot is going is not the issue. This wasn't some 'beat up the Amarr' thing, and fixing the longstanding issue with the empress is good. What wasn't good was the anticlimatic (from an interactivity standpoint) conclusion to weeks of buildup.

There should have either been a bit more stuff before the assassination (such as the actual commissioning ceremony, actually getting to see the Auctoritas in flight, etc, and maybe fending off an initial drifter attack), or there should have been more stuff after it (letting us kill the drifters after they blew up the empress).
« Last Edit: 22 Aug 2015, 07:36 by Samira Kernher »

The Rook

• Watcher in the Void
  • Egger
    • FalconNET

The complaints initially levelled in this thread were not about an event that was railroaded or badly executed but about the conclusion.

Whether the event was good or not is highly subjective. The frustration of being there, yet unable to do something may be very well what the creators had in mind with this. This is the equivalent of someone getting yanked out of the middle of the squad (and devoured off screen) in an alien movie: This showcases that the Drifters are able to come in, remove the toughest/second toughest ship in EVE and moonwalk out, leaving everyone back in a confused/terrified state of mind.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod

I think the IGS can easily display why there can be no unified Minmatar RP. The Amarr crowd can unify publicly when it comes to pretty much anything, except the internal house troubles. As a faction, they're united. Minmatar? Spread across three factions, not even counting the pirates, across a multitude of extremes when it comes to political and cultural views, and how to deal with the Empire.

Jamyl gets kicked in the teeth, and an overt enemy faction is taking a serious blow, and half the Minmatar posters on the IGS still side with the Empire.

#NotAllMatari

It makes for a complex and interesting faction, but it also means that we can never get any sort of critical mass to support any of the large amounts of different standpoints.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4