Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Is It Time to Assassinate Putin?  (Read 11617 times)

Vic Van Meter

• Omelette
Re: Is It Time to Assassinate Putin?
« Reply #60 on: 07 Jul 2015, 12:08 »

Too much land mass, not enough troops.  Impossible to conquer any really large parts of Russia.

As your front moves forward it spreads, and eventually you've got a million square miles to cover. With today's low number/high tech forces you can't cover it.  You can go straight to 'x' city and kill anything in the way, but you can't hold x, y, z, russian cities 2,000 km apart.

However, they don't have to hold anything other than the things that matter to the west of Russia.  They don't need "X City" they need to "blow up X refinery, X dam, X power supply, X etc."  The same reason they don't have to conduct an extermination campaign of deadly and dirty house-to-house fighting means they can essentially return the area to the Bronze Age and focus on military bases.  It would make an invading force invading from the other side equally difficult to stop.  In the past, Russian militaries abandoned the west and retreated eastward, using their population as a blunt instrument.

The calculus changes when your former citadel isn't a citadel anymore.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #61 on: 07 Jul 2015, 12:12 »

Well here's hoping we can keep all these wars virtual.

Maybe in the future we'll all get our matrix connections and we can hash it out and see how it plays in 2030's version of ARMA.

Vic Van Meter

• Omelette
« Reply #62 on: 07 Jul 2015, 12:37 »

Well here's hoping we can keep all these wars virtual.

Maybe in the future we'll all get our matrix connections and we can hash it out and see how it plays in 2030's version of ARMA.

Oh come on, why can't they go nuts?!  Call of Duty always gives us the same old wars.  I want to see Call Of Duty: DROC, where you can build and run your own militia, taking over coltan mines and paying your workers with huffs of paint.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #63 on: 07 Jul 2015, 15:20 »

Thoroughly interesting read from all of you thank you for writing in this thread.

I think sometimes we like to play the what-if military thought games and we head out into the realms of the improbable.  But we all know the improbable leads to the possible sometimes :/

I don't think there isn't going to be any sort of 'hot' war anywhere any time soon with any first world countries, just not going to happen (although we are happy to keep building weapons systems to fight the last war we never fought).  Sadly we'll continue to see "third-world" countries obliterating each other's populations at a low boil for decades to come.  Hundreds of thousands of people dead across Africa, Iraq, Syria, and a lovely slow soft war in Eastern Europe that will continue for a long time.  As pointed out earlier none of the big boys are getting involved, we're happy to sell to the combatants or fund proxies.

Regarding Europe as a defensive military vs Russia on it's own in a fantasy non nuclear conflict, it's game over in quick order for a short campaign.   Europe's forces just don't have the numbers, and more importantly the massively complicated command and control and force projection required for today's sort of fighting.  The Russians are quite good at this sort of thing, and it's Borsch in France in a few weeks.  Remember the Libyan air campaign recently? The Euro air forces couldn't do much of anything on their own and were about 100% dependent on American command and control, coordination, and pointing out where the Europeans put the bombs.  This was not widely reported in the press because this was supposed to be seen as a 'European' leading campaign, but it was basically run by the Americans because the Europeans just don't have the air hardware and coordination to run those sort of sorties.  It's not a slight on the Europeans, they are (perhaps wisely), spending that money on healthcare and public infrastructure, and we spend it on fancy AWACS.

And let's be honest even at the -height- of the cold war, there weren't nearly enough NATO ground forces to do much more than be cannon-fodder to slow down Russian armored advances until a full mobilization could occur or before things escalated to nuclear.   This is a similar situation in South Korea;  there's enough North Korean artillery and missiles pointed at Seoul to basically obliterate the civilian population and the small US/Korean force on the border in a surprise attack.  This doesn't mean that NK won't be absolutely crushed if an actual campaign gets going, but the first part of the conflict those border troops are forfeit. 

The same thing in Europe, if it started the actual 'long' war would be about beating back Russian forces from their full advances gained early on.

Now that I actually read more or less about that kind of things in spite of myself on forums related to my job, and while it remains amateurish, I think you are confusing a lot of things.

First, Russia, as in the current Federation of Russia, is absolutely not USSR or Warsaw Pact.

First we have to get back a bit in time, between the end of WW2 up to the 80s. USSR is a colossus that encompasses satellites states as far as DDR (which is already western Europe, or at least central). Its manpower is incredible and NATO perfectly knows that they are absolute masters on land: manpower, and especially armour and tanks that NATO cannot possibly match until the very late Cold War (just before the collapse), with the introduction of more modern gear actually able to stand against the soviet arsenal of T-72B, T-80B, etc, by introducing the modern lines of armour that we know (Abrams, Challenger, Leopard 2, etc). Before the middle of the 80s, USSR not only has a colossal amount of those, but they are far superior to everything that NATO can field (NATO strengths rely elsewhere). Due to that state of affairs, NATO was incredibly under pressure from West Germany in particular, but also all the NATO Europe that knew that a single, head front massive assault from their soviet enemy would just pierce through anything like through butter. That is incidentally why they started to setup in the Fulda Gap in part as a way to counter that.

Now then, before I start rambling, my point is that Russia is not that USSR. Russia hasn't the steamrolling capability that USSR held.

Second, just add up the countries that you showed on your pic : approximately 900 tanks, and 1500 IFVs for the 3 allied countries depicted. That is indeed a bit less than what Russia fields. Now then, add Italia, Spain, Poland, etc. I am pretty sure we can come to a respectable amount of forces that would be a match for the Russian numbers depicted. Moreover, I would put my money on a defending army at equal numbers, even if slightly less.

I actually think that what could make Russia win in such a case scenario is that UK, France and Germany forces are already spread thin all over the globe.

I also think that while indeed Lybia showed that European militaries had to rely too much on specific hardware and force projecting tools that the US lent them, it doesn't mean that they can't do it without them. Proof is currently, France is doing perfectly fine on its own in Mali, Center Africa, and Iraq. They were just happy to rely on the US because the logistics are not great (yes, they do not have the sheer capabilities the US have) and extremely expensive.
« Last Edit: 07 Jul 2015, 15:23 by Lyn Farel »

Lyn Farel

« Reply #64 on: 07 Jul 2015, 15:36 »

Quote from: Vic
Russia, like many countries, sounds better militarily on paper.  They have a lot of active duty service personnel, but their technology hasn't really kept strides with the rest of the developed world since about the 80s.  They're not shopping at Wal Mart, mind you, but they're built to engage in a kind of warfare that hasn't even been the means of conventional warfare since the mid 90s.

Recent Chinese R&D military boom might disagree with you here. Their MBTs and armour especially, have nothing to be ashamed of compared to modern NATO MBTs. Most of their arsenal has actually been completely renewed.

Likewise, Russia may still have a great deal of old gear, but their technology, especially for their airforce, is nothing to be ashamed of.

No I think the main issue with both of them is that they actually haven't seen a war in eons. They don't know how their new stuff is going to behave (except maybe Russia that tests at least a part of it by selling it or deploying it in Ukraine, but that's hardly their latest in terms of tech). They don't know how their men are going to behave.

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
« Reply #65 on: 07 Jul 2015, 19:41 »

Leave evolution and the universe out of this.

No. Not now, not in the future, not ever.

1) The universe doesn't hate anyone. It's incapable of hating. And more objectively speaking, the conditions in the universe aren't life-averse either. And if you destroy it, there is nothing life would have a place in. Life depends on the existence of this universe.

All of our terms are anthropomorphisms of what really is. In this case, the phrase "the universe hates life" is entirely appropriate. If you were to place the universe, as a thought experiment, as a house, the area suitable for human life, would be smaller than a proton. Of all the reality we could potentially exist in, we would be instantly destroyed in the greatest proportion of it. And even in the tiniest portion that we do know, most of it is hostile to life.

Of course life depends on the existence of this universe, in the sense that it needs matter and energy to exist. But within those constraints, this is possibly the worst sort of universe life could exist in (see Krauss, and other physicists). We live in a universe as antithetical to life as it is pretty much possible to be, while still having life. If you disagree, you simply need to read more.

2) Evolution has (by necessity, being descriptive theory) nothing to do with morality: And 'awful' certainly is a moral, normative category. Also, furthermore, cooperation playes and played a far greater role in the evolution of the human species than murder, genocide and destruction (and murder here, maybe also genocide, are again morally evaluative hand have basically nothing to do with the descriptive theory of the change of species).

Evolution is descriptive. How we got here is descriptive. However, your premises are flawed. First, the fact that something is descriptive does not mean that it does not also prescribe, assuming that one has certain values, such as "survive". I hold such values.

In addition, violence between living beings has been the greatest and most constant factor of life on earth. Of course people have cooperated. Of course people have lived together. No one is arguing that, except, perhaps, your mental straw-man of me you constructed to argue against because it would make you feel better.

What I am saying is that violence between persons, between cultures, between societies, is inevitable, because of the universe we live in. We live in a universe of scarce resources, locations, and opportunities. We live in a universe in which "survival of the most adaptive" is an ironclad rule. We live in a universe which designed us, not the other way around.

And because of that, the future of humanity will necessarily conform to those realities. To claim otherwise is the height of unjustified arrogance and hyperactive pride.

Survival as used in evolutionary theory can't be a value. If you introduce values, evolutionary theory can't possibly be by what you measure them. If there are values in life and in the world - or in reality, then there are for sure more ultimate values than survival, as humans certainly don't merely want to survive, they aim to live well.

Of course survival can be a value. I am valuing survival right now. In fact, survival is the basis of all values - for without the survival of a species, that species can value nothing. Personally, I also value survival - I may not thrive, but I cannot thrive without living to try. All lasting values, therefore, are predicated on survival.

If the species does not survive, all morality that species might possess is utterly of nothing.

Oh, you were talking about evolution as a dogma and scientistic worldview, rather than a phenomenon of nature or a theory of natural science. Sure, you can do that. Go on.

Vikarion

« Reply #66 on: 08 Jul 2015, 01:01 »

Lyn,

I should be clear, I wasn't referring to all of NATO, I was referring to the prospective outcome of one or two nations in Europe opposing Russia, in order to dispel the idea that NATO was purely a US idea for opposing Russia.

The point is not that any individual nation in Europe is weak. The point is that NATO is not a purely U.S. creation for its own benefit. You, as Europeans, need to stick together. And I, as an American, think you can now do so without us. We didn't force NATO on you. You need NATO. But, at this point, I think you can have NATO without us, and still survive, easily.

As for American power...I'm a liberal...I seek to limit American power. And yes, relatively, it is declining. But it is declining only very gradually, if that.

You, as a European, cannot imagine the power that the U.S.A. currently holds. I've had the pleasure, as a contractor who has done government work, to occasionally encounter it. All I can really say is that it is, even in what the most plebeian of American citizens encounter, apocalyptic.

I don't worry as much as you seem to think I should about America losing power. If you knew as much as I do, you wouldn't either. I worry about - as I said - some American managing to create an empire out of it. I've worked on military bases. I've talked with members of the military. The United States is not in any danger of being outclassed. You should not fear that. Rather, fear what I have seen: a deeply professional, truly advanced series of military systems all based around the idea of completely destroying an actual military competitor. To respond to others...well, we've seen how that ends up. And yet, we really aren't reliant on things like GPS - I've heard too many complaints of having to operate without it by trainees, or having to learn compass headings to take that seriously. Put the U.S. military into the fight it is designed for, and, well...

I don't worry about being outclassed. I worry that our own system has become increasingly imperial, increasingly dictatorial, without reference to the will of the people. Because while the American people are generally pacifistic and accommodationist, the American government is militaristic. And it has been ever more so in the last twenty years, because it can be. All it has to do is convince my fellow voters that we are under attack.
« Last Edit: 08 Jul 2015, 01:09 by Vikarion »

Lyn Farel

« Reply #67 on: 08 Jul 2015, 02:03 »

I wouldn't go to the point to call them weak, but yes indeed.

Anyway, I really wasn't refering to the US power per se, but US might and image, which are two different things.

Vikarion

« Reply #68 on: 08 Jul 2015, 09:31 »

Oh, and I also worry about that power being turned on us, the citizens. Musn't forget that.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #69 on: 11 Jul 2015, 13:26 »

Didn't bother reading past the first page, but there's something that needs to be pointed out because it's scary as fuck. Putin is the lesser evil here. He's quite seriously holding back far worse warmongers and his removal would almost certainly lead to an even worse bastard in charge with less grasp of what kind of consequences further war would lead to.

Putin is a batfuck insane warmonger, but he's frighteningly enough the best of all the realistic alternatives.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #70 on: 11 Jul 2015, 17:00 »

Who do you have in mind ?

Akrasjel Lanate

• Omelette
« Reply #71 on: 12 Jul 2015, 01:04 »

Putin is a batfuck insane warmonger, but he's frighteningly enough the best of all the realistic alternatives.
He is not perfect... we have Gruzia and Ukraine(but more like a reaction to events he did not start) yet those countries are still here they are not failed states like Iraq or other... people seem don't see(or don't want to) what nation is the biggest warmonger on this planet.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]