Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The system Old Man Star is named for the lone crew member who survived a sub-light trip there to set up a stargate?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Cartel Culture: Epic Brainstorming Session  (Read 18327 times)

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
Re: Angel Songs: My Random musings on the Angel Cartel
« Reply #30 on: 28 Jun 2010, 11:45 »

FWIW, I interpreted that statement as Naka did. "If you want to liaison (sic) with... the Angels in general," then work through me.

Perhaps it's just a case of unfortunate wording. I haven't had IC interaction to know. But it does sound unfortunate.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #31 on: 28 Jun 2010, 14:04 »

All right. I've got a few minutes before bed.

On Language:

I always felt like the Cartel probably didn't have it's own language, but that there were very likely one or more patois or pidgin type languages. Probably a whole mess of them. I would tend to think that some specific phrases or slang terms might creep into most Cartel members' normal usage too.

Entirely possible. Then again, the Cartel is an interstellar quasi-civilization spanning a good many systems. I agree with your analysis overall, but there's always the possibility of surviving islands of old culture that haven't been quashed-- and with some old languages surviving with them.

Oh, certainly. I would also extend what I said and say that in some number of years or decades, a very common mixed language might emerge that might be called the Cartel's own.

On Organization:

I wonder if rather than military dictatorship, warlords might not be closer to the 'middle level' structure of the Cartel. I would think that at the top, there is probably a lot of vicious, likely often bloody political maneuvering, but I'm not sure to what degree the Dominations would feel the need to show a united front to the rest of the organization outside that.

This one, I'd have to differ with: without a strong central leadership, the Cartel would be even more apt to fracture than it already is. You wouldn't have "The Cartel," but a lot of little warring cartels-- the last snake in the barrel birthing, or even just collapsing into, a writhing pile of baby snakes.

I think there is likely a strong central leadership, though I think there is probably internal stuff which probably does run bloody sometimes. They would just be careful to show a united front to everyone else.

I think that more than a central leadership - although that is an important component - external pressure keeps the Cartel together. They are as large as they can be, so that CONCORD, or Sansha, or The Republic, or... don't destroy them. Fracturing would make the survivors easy pickings.

An analogue might be Mexican drug cartels. They are as large as they are not only because some few individuals made them that way, but because smaller groups have been destroyed or absorbed. They fight among themselves and against the national government. That external pressure - along with their central authorities - keeps them together and defines their limits.

There is a fairly clear chain of command, but that isn't the same as tight organization. Having a hierarchy isn't the same as having a plan.

In the lower echelons, I do really like the idea that the Cartel works through proxies and associates at the ground level. I think, though, that given how widely the Cartel recruits, they probably could find people to stick in place pretty much anywhere in the cluster without being recognized. Even more-so in the very busy places where they might want a more direct presence - trade hubs and the like.

I was thinking mostly of the risks inherent in putting a Curse native into someplace like the Empire, or, worse, the State (but also, to a lesser degree, the more "open" empires). Without some pretty extensive training, you'd run the risk of inadvertently reenacting that scene from Star Trek IV where Chekhov is asking "where the nuclear wessels are kept."

Using empire natives as lower-level agents would probably be the simplest, easiest course, even if you end up shuffling them from one empire to another: at worst, a Caldari expatriate in Matari space looks like a Caldari, not an Angel.

How many in the Cartel are natives to Curse to such a degree that they couldn't blend in other places, and how many are recruited from the Empires?

I never saw the Angels as a cartel run by people native to Curse. I always saw them as an organization that had drawn it's people at pretty much every level from far and wide.

True, it's old enough that there might have been a few generations born in Curse now, but is there a special accent? Some other defining feature that separates them enough that they would stand out so blatantly?

There well might be for some, but my suspicion would be that there are enough people in the organization - even 2nd, 3rd generation, that could pass in the Empires that it might not be much of a problem for the Cartel as a whole.

I mean, it is a vast organization that recruits all over the cluster for roles directly with the Cartel. Locals are probably fine when you want to shift risk for selling drugs or running illegal gambling or whatever, but  it is likely to be situational. Big cluster, etc. There are places where you would want your own people, and there would also likely be Cartel people eager to try and run things themselves to prove themselves, and get their starts up the ladder.

Well, naturally. I suspect the ones eager to prove themselves get shuffled towards the Archangels or low-level administrative work, though; when it comes to espionage or drug shipment, over-eager hot shots would be a bad element to add to the mix.

On Beliefs:

I touched on the made up religion I came up with earlier, but I suspect that religiously the Cartel has a wild spectrum of stuff going on. It's a big organization, people from all over, basically the points from earlier.

*nodnod*

As far as philosophy, a couple of thoughts:

As far as morals etc: I think it depends on who you are talking about. The person born in Curse, for whom there was never anything wrong with any of what they do? The person recruited or captured when they were still a teenager or younger, whose ideas were still in the midst of being formed, and there easily molded to the Cartel's culture? Or the person who is an adult, probably already with some degree of power, who decided to join or work with the cartel, and whose framework for right and wrong might have fit the Cartel's all along, and now they have happily found eachother?

Well, naturally. If everybody's the same to begin with, what's the point of enforcing tight discipline?

Of course, all of those are subject to a 'to one degree or another'. People can have doubts, or conversely, take it too far. Backstabbing of a kind might be rewarded, but I think even for the Cartel there might be (various) culturally acceptable ways of doing it.

My guess would be that there are two. Either:

1. Don't get caught

or

2. Pull it off in such a spectacular manner that you instantly establish your credentials as a brilliant, ruthless son of a bitch who can walk into the harsh light of scrutiny and likely discipline with a wicked grin.

The first is less demanding. The latter is a quick way to either leap up the ladder or face merciless retribution, depending on your performance.

I think #2 would be walking a fine line: Who you pissed off, exactly what you did, etc. Spectacular is all well and good, but if it is, for example, at the expense of someone much further up the ladder than you, and you don't eliminate them, and anyone they might have been allied with, or who might now feel threatened by you, you are potentially in it up to your neck.

I can't see such a large organization having tendencies that would encourage bold, blatant moves against higher ranking members. Part of the point of being higher up the ladder is securing yourself against that sort of thing. Not to say it doesn't happen, it just seems to me that a bold move against someone outside the Cartel would be a more likely route to quick advancement with less chance of it backfiring. Take territory from someone. Find and execute a CONCORD informant. Those kind of things.

In fact, I think for the Cartel, there might be a sort of enforced 'cult of loyalty', like you see in a lot of organized crime now and in the recent past. Not like they are so virtuous that they wouldn't think about betrayal, ofc. But for instance if you are going to throw your superior to CONCORD in order to advance, you best make sure noone finds out you're a rat. If you have someone killed, make sure that you have a good pretext, or that it can't be traced. That kind of thing.

Retribution wouldn't be so much about outrage, or based in love for the injured party, but it would be based around the fact you were incompetent enough to get caught, not to mention the threat you pose if you are known to use those tactics.

I'd agree-- that's sort of what I was getting at with my "basic precepts you teach to any street punk you want to use."

One thing, though: retribution for a breach of a loyalty cult is absolutely about outrage, at least in the lower echelons. If you broke faith, if you ratted on your friends, you broke the rules, you broke your word, you broke trust. You did all of that in a context where trust in one's compatriots is about the only thing that allows such criminals to work together, thus rendering you not only utterly unreliable but also a treacherous snake.

The bullet you'd get in your head (possibly after several long, unpleasant hours) would be both a practical and a moral judgment.

I think that, ofc, in the lower echelons it would be a *belief* rather than a rational 'this is what's good for the organization, us doing it this way'. However, I think whether it is a belief or not isn't the important thing. People who believe it would be equipped to operate in the Cartel, and peopel who don't believe it, but understand what it's for would be equipped to work in the Cartel. People who don't believe it, and don't either understand it or act like they believed it would be in trouble.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #32 on: 28 Jun 2010, 14:06 »

FWIW, I interpreted that statement as Naka did. "If you want to liaison (sic) with... the Angels in general," then work through me.

Perhaps it's just a case of unfortunate wording. I haven't had IC interaction to know. But it does sound unfortunate.

Oh, entirely agreed. That's just not the only possible interpretation-- nor, from looking at subsequent commentary, was that the intended interpretation.

I tend to consider people entitled to the benefit of the doubt until they make it plain that they 1. really, actually, unambiguously did say that eye-rolling thing and 2. meant to say it.

JFK is entitled to the benefit of the doubt for declaring himself a jelly doughnut ("Ich bin ein Berliner!" as opposed to "Ich bin Berliner!").

Joe Barton is not entitled to the benefit of the doubt for apologizing to BP for the White House "shakedown" or for declaring that wind energy is not renewable because windmills block wind. [/facepalm]

This case, here, doesn't even strike me as getting to the level of JFK's comments. It can easily be interpreted as you and Nakatre did, but could also have been interpreted to mean, "If you want to get in touch with us or want us to put you in touch with the larger Angel community, contact us."

It could also refer to "contacting the Cartel" in much the same way as Havohej has done by acquiring slaves from Nakatre and myself in the past.

Takes a little more effort, but still well within the realm of what could have been meant. Mind you, that doesn't mean that it was a jewel of a sentence. The sentence could have been a good deal clearer.

Anyhow-- Nakatre seems to differ with me on interpretation, while I differ with Nakatre on appropriate reaction.
« Last Edit: 28 Jun 2010, 14:20 by Aria Jenneth »

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #33 on: 28 Jun 2010, 14:44 »

Oh, certainly. I would also extend what I said and say that in some number of years or decades, a very common mixed language might emerge that might be called the Cartel's own.

Can anybody give us a good fix on just how long the Cartel has existed? I've got a sense of it being somewhere between forty and eighty years, but I'm by no means sure.

If so, that's easily long enough for a pidgin mix to have developed as everybody learns a little of everybody else's language and starts sort of speaking in all of them at once.

I think there is likely a strong central leadership, though I think there is probably internal stuff which probably does run bloody sometimes. They would just be careful to show a united front to everyone else.

I think that more than a central leadership - although that is an important component - external pressure keeps the Cartel together. They are as large as they can be, so that CONCORD, or Sansha, or The Republic, or... don't destroy them. Fracturing would make the survivors easy pickings.

Hm.

An analogue might be Mexican drug cartels. They are as large as they are not only because some few individuals made them that way, but because smaller groups have been destroyed or absorbed. They fight among themselves and against the national government. That external pressure - along with their central authorities - keeps them together and defines their limits.

There is a fairly clear chain of command, but that isn't the same as tight organization. Having a hierarchy isn't the same as having a plan.

There's another issue at hand, though: (alleged) Jovian tech, or, at minimum, a potent technological edge. The Serpentis "faction" ships are Guardian Angel work, and the Angels, of course, also have their own.

Dividing would mean either compromising or outright sacrificing that edge: whatever group had ye olde R&D department would have a frightful advantage over a sufficiently extended timeline. Even if it was divided, each group would have less capability than they all collectively would possess if they worked together.

I think the Angels do have a "plan," and their edge in technology plays a significant role in that. Keeping that edge requires dedication, coordination, organization-- and cooperation.

Not that things don't get Machiavellian-- it's just that I doubt the Dominations are in any way loosely joined.

How many in the Cartel are natives to Curse to such a degree that they couldn't blend in other places, and how many are recruited from the Empires?

I never saw the Angels as a cartel run by people native to Curse. I always saw them as an organization that had drawn it's people at pretty much every level from far and wide.

True, it's old enough that there might have been a few generations born in Curse now, but is there a special accent? Some other defining feature that separates them enough that they would stand out so blatantly?

There well might be for some, but my suspicion would be that there are enough people in the organization - even 2nd, 3rd generation, that could pass in the Empires that it might not be much of a problem for the Cartel as a whole.

Thing is, once you get to the second generation, you start running into cultural conflicts. Second-generation Korean-Americans do not enjoy a very good reputation for "blending in" in Korea, if I recall, and by the time you get to third generation, well....

Those who live in a given culture face pressure to conform to it. When the culture they are brought up in a culture distinct from their parents' home culture, noticeable difference is probably inevitable.

I think #2 would be walking a fine line: Who you pissed off, exactly what you did, etc. Spectacular is all well and good, but if it is, for example, at the expense of someone much further up the ladder than you, and you don't eliminate them, and anyone they might have been allied with, or who might now feel threatened by you, you are potentially in it up to your neck.

But of course! All part of the game....

I can't see such a large organization having tendencies that would encourage bold, blatant moves against higher ranking members. Part of the point of being higher up the ladder is securing yourself against that sort of thing. Not to say it doesn't happen, it just seems to me that a bold move against someone outside the Cartel would be a more likely route to quick advancement with less chance of it backfiring. Take territory from someone. Find and execute a CONCORD informant. Those kind of things.

Granted. Might also explain why all those little frigates merrily swarm capsuleers with such abandon.  ;)

I think that, ofc, in the lower echelons it would be a *belief* rather than a rational 'this is what's good for the organization, us doing it this way'. However, I think whether it is a belief or not isn't the important thing. People who believe it would be equipped to operate in the Cartel, and peopel who don't believe it, but understand what it's for would be equipped to work in the Cartel. People who don't believe it, and don't either understand it or act like they believed it would be in trouble.

Hm. Yes. Good de-generalization. Thanks.
« Last Edit: 28 Jun 2010, 21:07 by Aria Jenneth »

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #34 on: 28 Jun 2010, 15:12 »

Thing is, once you get to the second generation, you start running into cultural conflicts. Second-generation Korean-Americans do not enjoy a very good reputation for "blending in" in Korea, if I recall, and by the time you get to third generation, well....

Those who live in a given culture face pressure to conform to it. When the culture they are brought up in a culture distinct from their parents' home culture, noticeable difference is probably inevitable.

This raises, in my mind, questions about the 'culture' of the Cartel itself. With the United States and Korea, you have two pre-existing cultures that run into each other. There is a new language, a new culture, a new society - and things that reinforce those: Schools, peers, general societal pressure to conform.

Even with all these things, you often find people self-segregating by ethnicity.

The Cartel, if it's 80 years old, hasn't had time to get all that stuff. What language does a third generation Cartel kid whose family is from the State grow up speaking? Do they live in a 'Caldari' section of the Station? Etc.

I think that the idea of there being an emergent culture in the Cartel in the midst of developing is fascinating.

I'm not sure whether a second or third or fourth generation resident of Curse would be able to blend in or not, based on the above. I think it gets a lot less likely with each generation, though.

Thing is, we also don't know when large groups of immigrants might have come in. We don't know how the society is set up. Lots we don't know.  :D

Edit: Also, being able to travel somewhere your ancestors came from and simply blend in is different than training to blend in. Particularly with a place as big as the cluster, they could use things like, "Oh, yeah, I'm from a couple systems over' for minor discrepancies, right?
« Last Edit: 28 Jun 2010, 15:13 by Silver Night »

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #35 on: 28 Jun 2010, 17:34 »

Silver the internal 'few generations in' culture was actually what  I started looking at when I began this conjecture, and ICly, Nikita was actually born on Utopia, and was a third generation Angel. So that's the cultural perspective I was really interested in and I'd really like to see what comes out of it.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Kaito Haakkainen

• Wetgraver
  • May have skimmed the Book of Emptiness
« Reply #36 on: 03 Jul 2010, 10:18 »

On the age of the Angel Cartel:

Quote from: 'Heaven'
The Third Empire was founded half a millennium ago amidst the devastation of the Jovian Disease.
Some couple of centuries later, when space traveling had become a common thing, the constellation was entered by migrating scavenger groups. Many of those groups set themselves up within the constellation and eventually they evolved into criminal organizations. The strongest of those was the Angel cartel.

This implies the Cartel existed in some form around 300 years ago.

They established themselves in Utopia system a century ago and soon had the whole Heaven constellation under their control.

The Cartel became the dominant power in the area a century ago, given it's history as a scavenger group, mercenary force, and finally military power the Cartel seems to have quite a varied, and long, history.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #37 on: 03 Jul 2010, 12:07 »

This implies the Cartel existed in some form around 300 years ago.

They established themselves in Utopia system a century ago and soon had the whole Heaven constellation under their control.

The Cartel became the dominant power in the area a century ago, given it's history as a scavenger group, mercenary force, and finally military power the Cartel seems to have quite a varied, and long, history.

Perfect! Thank you. It's been way too long since I read that chronicle, clearly.

One hundred years plus ... yeah, that's long enough to develop some cultural uniqueness and linguistic quirks. Easily.

Kaito Haakkainen

• Wetgraver
« Reply #38 on: 03 Jul 2010, 19:58 »

There are Amarr holders and plenty others old enough to remember, and possibly have had dealings with, the Angels as a scavenger group before or during their settlement of Curse. While in their time serving as 'muscle for hire' they likely saw contracts from empire corporations and other groups and individuals (including those in Curse they later defeated or co-opted).

It's no surprise that the Angel Cartel has managed to turn all those contacts into the many pied hand their data network has become. With the rumoured Jovian tech up for grabs to all in Curse this was probably the one thing that set them apart from, and above, the other groups operating there.

For such a small chronicle 'Heaven', like many early chrons, is as much a goldmine as you make it.
Enjoying the thread, looking into the Cartel heavily at the moment, keep the data flowing.  :D
« Last Edit: 03 Jul 2010, 20:24 by Kaito Haakkainen »

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #39 on: 05 Jul 2010, 12:40 »

I wonder where the Cartel folks came from originally, then?

I mean, they were, it seems likely, relatively small at some point > 100 years ago. Then *something*. Then they are the dominant force.

Going from just another group of scavengers to something else suggests to me something beyond just finding some Jovian tech that might have put them ahead. It suggests that at some point in there they might have had (an) ambitious leader(s) that saw the opportunities and was willing to grab them.

It also suggests to me that they would have needed a lot more man power within a relatively short (coupla-few decades?) length of time. Given Curse's location, what would the early cultural influences have been? A very young Republic, a young Mandate, and the Empire?

Given the timing, might the original, smaller Cartel have been created by veterans of the rebellion? They'd have the skills, connections, etc.

I looked at the timeline (which I know isn't always the most accurate place to look) and it places the rebellion about 130 or so years ago.

Arvo Katsuya

• Noble Appliance
  • Egger
« Reply #40 on: 05 Jul 2010, 13:44 »

I mean, they were, it seems likely, relatively small at some point > 100 years ago. Then *something*. Then they are the dominant force.

Going from just another group of scavengers to something else suggests to me something beyond just finding some Jovian tech that might have put them ahead. It suggests that at some point in there they might have had (an) ambitious leader(s) that saw the opportunities and was willing to grab them.

I think that's a very good question. How involved are the Angel Cartel with the Jovians? It may not just be about 'they stumbled onto some tech'. Wonder if there's some chron or obscure lore out there to make that sort of connection. I haven't read the novels, so I'm at a loss there too on referances.

Any dedicated Cartel lorekeepers? ;)

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #41 on: 05 Jul 2010, 14:14 »

i heard there was a jovian notmoon in The Burning Life, but i haven't read it yet.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #42 on: 05 Jul 2010, 14:23 »

My sense of it is that the Angels just scavenged and salvaged some old Jovian facilities. The Jove don't seem to particularly approve of the Cartel; I don't see the Cartel offering to sell the salvage back to the Jove, and I don't see the Jove offering to help the Cartel interpret what it found.

So, assuming that Angel tech is what it is widely suspected to be, it's probably plain old reverse-engineering, and very much a work in progress.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #43 on: 05 Jul 2010, 15:37 »

i heard there was a jovian notmoon in The Burning Life, but i haven't read it yet.

A what? I don't recall anything particularly Jovian in TBL at all.

Kaito Haakkainen

• Wetgraver
« Reply #44 on: 05 Jul 2010, 21:11 »

I think that's a very good question. How involved are the Angel Cartel with the Jovians? It may not just be about 'they stumbled onto some tech'. Wonder if there's some chron or obscure lore out there to make that sort of connection. I haven't read the novels, so I'm at a loss there too on referances.

Any dedicated Cartel lorekeepers? ;)

The books hold little information on the matter. It is said by one ex-Cartel member in TBL that the "prevailing myth" of Jovian technology is what gives the Angel's an edge, not so much the technology itself. The same book later has Hona (from Blackmountain) state that the Angel Cartel "acquired their power from Jovian technology, left here for us like poisonous little candies." In any case it would seem the matter is kept obscure.

Probably so that people pick over that and forget all about this:

Quote from: 'Dominations'
Little is known about the identities of the leaders of the Angel Cartel, though it is understood they come from all the races.

And this:

The majority of the Jovian population relocated in the Motherships. Those showing any sign of the Disease were left behind to die.

The key point of the first is the word 'all'. The key point in the second is that being 'left behind to die' does not actually mean that they did.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6