Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Jove Empire is isolated from the rest of the world to all but a selected few? read more here.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dev Blog: Shake my Citadel  (Read 3836 times)

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
Dev Blog: Shake my Citadel
« on: 12 May 2015, 20:32 »

Dev blog here

So far, I like the direction they are going - but that is as someone who has only done a little POS running. Thoughts?

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
Re: Dev Blog: Shake my Citadel
« Reply #1 on: 12 May 2015, 21:04 »

Honestly most of the POS frustrations were due to the interface/UI design, the necessity to fly between modules (must be within activation distance of 2500m) in order to do stuff, and the atrocious fuel complexities involved with keeping it online.

The UI has been slightly improved, but not by much.
The flying between modules has been fixed/removed, I think.
Fuel blocks solved the last one.

Presumably, this new system will have a much more modernized and streamlined UI, it will be an all inclusive single unit structure controllable from inside it while docked, and it will likely use the same or similar Fuel Blocks system. I foresee a lot of good things regarding this compared to a POS.

Korsavius

• Cold Wind's Blade
  • Omelette
  • "Dead man walking."
« Reply #2 on: 13 May 2015, 00:51 »

Honestly most of the POS frustrations were due to the interface/UI design, the necessity to fly between modules (must be within activation distance of 2500m) in order to do stuff, and the atrocious fuel complexities involved with keeping it online.

The UI has been slightly improved, but not by much.
The flying between modules has been fixed/removed, I think.
Fuel blocks solved the last one.

Presumably, this new system will have a much more modernized and streamlined UI, it will be an all inclusive single unit structure controllable from inside it while docked, and it will likely use the same or similar Fuel Blocks system. I foresee a lot of good things regarding this compared to a POS.
This. All of it.

Additionally, I for one am super excited for the new interface/UI simply because it is always how I envisioned/hoped CCP would change it to be. Changing it so it is analogous to the ship fitting screen (which players use so often) simply just made the most sense. The structure diversification is also a nice bonus. Overall, super hyped for when these structures are all implemented. :)
Character Profile - last updated 10.14.17

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #3 on: 13 May 2015, 00:59 »

Flying between modules has not been removed, and remains a major annoyance in W-space.

New system seems okay at the core. I have two major issues with it, though.

The first and major issue has to do with how loot is distributed. There is currently no word on what happens to stored equipment after a station is 'captured'; however, if the owners choose to destroy it, the loot from personal hangars is ejected into cans which cannot be located except by the original owners of the personal hangars in question. This makes me worried that loot denial will be a severe detriment to conflict drivers - why siege a station if you're getting nothing out of it?

A lesser issue is the larger structures being only assaultable at certain times of day (per typical Sov3.0 mechanics). While I can understand their desire to avoid off-timezone 'headshots', making them entirely invulnerable off of peak TZs seems like a bad idea to me.

I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #4 on: 13 May 2015, 02:22 »

I am intrigued. Being able to build venues in space where people can gather ? That's the first step to space housing, and for RP, it can be priceless.

I hope the smallest ones will be affordable though, I would hate to see people spending time to build a single war, to then get wardecced right after and lose it...

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #5 on: 13 May 2015, 03:01 »

I am intrigued. Being able to build venues in space where people can gather ? That's the first step to space housing, and for RP, it can be priceless.

I hope the smallest ones will be affordable though, I would hate to see people spending time to build a single war, to then get wardecced right after and lose it...

Still can't walk in the goddamn thing.
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Aelisha

• Egger
  • Maker of ISK, Supplier of SRPs
« Reply #6 on: 13 May 2015, 04:46 »

I will definitely be keeping a close eye on this. Personally the 2 hour timers are perfect, as if someone wants to deny me my toy, I can at least 'drive conflict' instead of bending over under the current system. Being able to bottleneck fights into a zone when i can stave off the initial result, rather than getting all my stuff locked down while I am asleep, is a good direction for CCP to go IMO.

These Citadels are very limited for my purposes, but are a step in the right direction in terms of allowing us to provide services to everyone we choose. We can effectively freeport facwar systems for either party, provide all kinds of exotic 'truck stop' services in stationless pipe systems in high and low sec, and much more. Out of the box thinking and reasonable docking fees could make this an earner for those with the ability to hold on to a distributed network.

CCP is showing some rare insight into leaving the meta purposefully open ended here, and I am pretty excited to follow this to its logical conclusion. When we know more, I might be interested in talking with some fellow station enthusiasts about ideas for services and monetisation.

Jocca Quinn

• Wetgraver
« Reply #7 on: 13 May 2015, 06:07 »

Quote from: Esna Pitoojee
A lesser issue is the larger structures being only assaultable at certain times of day (per typical Sov3.0 mechanics). While I can understand their desire to avoid off-timezone 'headshots', making them entirely invulnerable off of peak TZs seems like a bad idea to me.

I think that is to make up for there being no "auto defence" on these things, unlike POS which will (attempt to) shoot at interlopers the new structure defences can only be operated by a player. I see this as being a major downside especially for w-space people.

Anyanka Funk

« Reply #8 on: 13 May 2015, 09:22 »

Still can't walk in the goddamn thing.

It wouldn't even be hard to make a standard male/female 3d model like they do with corpses and have them movable inside a the interior of a citadel model. To even do that with ships to have walking in ships would not be hard. Not saying to make genuine replicas of characters but just a generic male/female model with a name attached to it, like a corpse is.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #9 on: 13 May 2015, 10:41 »

I think that is to make up for there being no "auto defence" on these things, unlike POS which will (attempt to) shoot at interlopers the new structure defences can only be operated by a player. I see this as being a major downside especially for w-space people.

I think you've hit on a core issue of the new structures as currently planned, which is that they're trying to standardize mechanics across three drastically different play situations (NPC sov/empire space, sov 0.0, W-space).

In my opinion, that just doesn't work. An outpost on the frontier of W-space should not be governed by the same rules as a citadel at the core of a nullsec region.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #10 on: 13 May 2015, 10:55 »

I think you've hit on a core issue of the new structures as currently planned, which is that they're trying to standardize mechanics across three drastically different play situations (NPC sov/empire space, sov 0.0, W-space).

In my opinion, that just doesn't work. An outpost on the frontier of W-space should not be governed by the same rules as a citadel at the core of a nullsec region.

If we have the resources to build it, I think we should be able to. I don't really like the idea of kneecapping wormhole space to make it different from nullsec.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Kyoko Sakoda

• Pod Captain
« Reply #11 on: 15 May 2015, 18:23 »

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #12 on: 15 May 2015, 23:40 »

Having something like the Hiigaran mothership in wormholes would be very nice indeed. It's essentially a starbase that relocates itself, how cool is that?
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Lyn Farel

« Reply #13 on: 16 May 2015, 00:58 »

I have always wanted them to keep the name for the motherships in Eve (the old supercarriers) and give them decent mobile base capabilities like that. Something truly unique and useful. Maybe some fleet defensive capabilities as well.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #14 on: 16 May 2015, 09:16 »

Well, with the new structures, maybe it will be possible someday?
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.
Pages: [1] 2