Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The number of young, idealistic scientists found in Verge Vendor is disproportionately high? (Region Description)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: [Chronicle] Xenocracy  (Read 16050 times)

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
Re: [Chronicle] Xenocracy
« Reply #30 on: 16 Jun 2010, 15:13 »

Yep, I was hoping they would integrate PI and FW. But it's too late now, I don't see how they can when non-FWers have built in FW lowsec now...oh well...

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #31 on: 16 Jun 2010, 15:22 »

Eh, Faction Warfare's a joke to many characters. Would be stupid to expect people to join just for PI purposes.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #32 on: 16 Jun 2010, 15:55 »

It's not just a joke to the characters... hell, these days it's a joke to the devs.
« Last Edit: 16 Jun 2010, 15:57 by Casiella »

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #33 on: 16 Jun 2010, 16:15 »

Not so much concerned about the mechanics of FW and PI, but how they are seen in-character.

"Join the Tribal Liberation Force, to rescue our people from slavery!" says the FW thing, or thereabouts.

But, given the events of the chronicle, it seems any capsuleer could go to any of the planets and use threat of bombardment to force an end to slavery on that planet.

So... what's the point of capturing the space plexes?
\o/

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #34 on: 16 Jun 2010, 17:19 »

But, given the events of the chronicle, it seems any capsuleer could go to any of the planets and use threat of bombardment to force an end to slavery on that planet.

Until another capsuleer came along and blasted him out of the sky. Or the other faction's navy. Or whatever... PI is 'legal' as it were. FW is also kind of legal, but doesn't exactly happen in the safest of areas.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #35 on: 16 Jun 2010, 17:56 »

think of it more like a non-factional warefare minamatar pilot coming along and doing that in every system of Amarr highsec.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Yoshito Sanders

• Egger
« Reply #36 on: 16 Jun 2010, 22:10 »

Probably the least well thought out, poorly written chron in a long time. I actually cannot think of one that's dumber than that. I actually can't figure out how anyone over at CCP thought that was a reasonable depiction of Planetary Interaction.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #37 on: 16 Jun 2010, 23:10 »

You guys seem to forget that Capsuleers being given access to the planetside industry has been agreed on by the various governments. That there's capsuleers who stretch their newfound authority by backing up their demands with guns isn't even remotely unlikely, nor something that any of the governments will be chafing about, quite simply because it's a price worth paying due to the sheer amount of development and ISK being poured down to the planet's surface.

That guy threatened to kill millions. He's providing the planet with such a ridiculous influx of ISK, jobs and sudden relevance in a greater scale (along with capsuleer protection as the corporation will be protecting their assets) that the millions in question is a tiny price to pay even if he had fired.

Nothing wrong with the chronicle. It was the best one in ages.

Graanvlokkie

« Reply #38 on: 17 Jun 2010, 01:15 »

[spoiler]Most of his head was obscured by cybernetic implants: curved, metallic attachments that spread around his skull at every angle, completely concealing his eyes, nose, and mouth. Power and information cables stretched from each implant to somewhere off camera on either side, making it seem like he was suspended in a spider web instead of seated comfortably in a starship in orbit high above the planet.

It was only a simulacrum, an image that this person chose to portray of themselves ...
[/spoiler]

I demand a simulacrum NOW! My current avatar is not nearly evil looking enough!

Svetlana Scarlet

• Omelette
« Reply #39 on: 17 Jun 2010, 04:41 »

You guys seem to forget that Capsuleers being given access to the planetside industry has been agreed on by the various governments.

How, exactly, do you get from that to "governments have agreed capsuleers can orbitally bombard their planets at will if people aren't obeying their whims"?  It also still doesn't explain the suddenly awesome automation technology either.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #40 on: 17 Jun 2010, 06:35 »

I'm really not all that surprised by the automation tech, I mean, it seemed like the structures themselves weren't automated, just the deployment process, which isn't that intensive.
Just drop down a bunch of prefab structures, and connect them together with worker drones.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #41 on: 17 Jun 2010, 06:58 »

With Nikita on this.  Intelligent pre-fab components (see: smartfab units), top tier materials, rapid orbital deployment capability (just watch the Tyrannis login screen), nanofacture (see: armor reps, nanopaste); these parts of PF come together to make the automation thing reasonable within the setting.  Of course, the installation process for PI infrastructure isn't what bugged me about this chron...

I think we're all in agreement that once installed, these facilities are operated by flesh-and-blood employees/slaves with or without a compliment of drones, yes?

As for the CONCORD planetary development treaty, I think Svetlana's got it right in that last post.  The treaty serves the capsuleer community and the empires by permitting our wealth to be expended directly into planetary economies.  It's good for business.  Omvistus' behavior is bad for business regardless of whether he actually drops processing units on top of unsuspecting cities, which I don't think he would have in the first place.  He's not developing any longer, but rather threatening genocidal destruction.  He's gone from being an impossibly rich and powerful real estate developer and construction mogul (what empire PI really should be about, for now) to being a terrorist with a god gun pointed at you.

The problem is that the chron never shows us the consequences of dealing with people that way.  (For that, see Vieve's short story on the EVE Fiction forum.)

Finally,

Quote from: Graanvlokkie
I demand a simulacrum NOW!

Seconded, Graan.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #42 on: 17 Jun 2010, 11:01 »

Capsuleer can place dozens of spaceports onto a planet.
Capsuleer can threaten the planetary government.
Capsuleer has transport ships, freighters, etc. Lots of logistic ability.

So, they build lots of spaceports, and say "these rockets are for evacuating the entire Minmatar slave population off your planet. You will not interfere, or else"

So... why would they need the Republic Fleet to occupy the system? Why FW?
\o/

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #43 on: 17 Jun 2010, 11:42 »

And conversely, why does the Amarr Navy need to occupy systems to take slaves?

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #44 on: 17 Jun 2010, 16:41 »

Re: PI facility automation.  Feel dumb for missing this as I have read it before...  From the barren/temperate PI command center item description:

The modular design of this administrative structure allows it to be deployed piecemeal from orbit, then manually assembled on the surface by MTACs and engineering personnel.

The hostile world, gas giant, and ocean command centers talk about other methods concerning the conditions on those planets, but this clearly demonstrates just how much the capsuleer in this chron was talking out his rear exhaust port.  Possibly he intended that only employees of his own corporation conduct the assembly.

Also, the description for the temperate/barren spaceport reinforces the interaction these facilities have with the local populations in case anyone ever has any doubt (not that any of us here have):

The obvious importance of a centralized spaceport often leads to its becoming a focal point of local culture, including trade, entertainment, and even illegal activities.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7