Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

that non-capsuleer viewership of the Intergalactic Summit reaches into the hundreds of millions and vehement debates rage within planetary communities based on the positions espoused there by capsuleers.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: [Chronicle] Xenocracy  (Read 16044 times)

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
Re: [Chronicle] Xenocracy
« Reply #15 on: 15 Jun 2010, 16:48 »

got to say, this chronicle is the wow equivalent of pointing out how the opposing factions on a pvp server can slaughter their way through a major city and the people will just respawn later that die. Obviously they don't call attention to it, because there is a difference between storyline, and gameplay, a difference CCP seems to be attempting to pretend isn't there, and this chron doesn't make it seems like it isn't there, but instead of having an elephant standing outside trying not to be noticed, the elephant has moved into your lap and left you a huge turd.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #16 on: 15 Jun 2010, 21:31 »

Plotline-wise, I have to agree with a couple of the other posters that this seemed a bit... overdone.

He actiivates his tageting systems, appears to be fully threatening to unleash a devestating orbital bombardment...

But he doesn't. Yes, he doesn't. And maybe CONCORD would have responded if he had. But they're going to wait until AFTER?

"We're verry sorry, Mr. Gallente System Governor. We had every indication he was about to kill millions of your people, but we didn't want to do anything until we had cold proof he was going to."

....yeah.

Also, intersting technology note: Railgun turrets are evidently aimed by low-intensity lasers, which, although powerful enough to penetrate hundreds of kilometers of atmophere and still generate an appreciable return, also interact enough with a planetary atmosphere at ground level to generate a glow visible to the human eye and (presumably) still not cause appreciable thermal heating to solid ssufaces.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #17 on: 15 Jun 2010, 21:51 »

Also, intersting technology note: Railgun turrets are evidently aimed by low-intensity lasers

He is Amarrian...  ;)

Besides, it doesn't seem that crazy an idea to me.  We can do that at a range of 90km with today's technology.
« Last Edit: 15 Jun 2010, 23:46 by Ken »

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #18 on: 15 Jun 2010, 22:18 »

Besides, it doesn't seem that an idea crazy to me.  We can do that at a range of 90km with today's technology.

No, I was more commenting that the laser is refracting or reflecting enourmous amounts of energy into the atmosphere - enough to light the windows with a glow visible to the naked eye - yet still somehow didn't generate appreciable heating.

I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #19 on: 15 Jun 2010, 22:22 »

Fair to say the planetary administrator was feeling some heat?  :D

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #20 on: 15 Jun 2010, 22:29 »

I think he was using a Target Painter to increase the signature radius of the colony :P

The red glow but lack of utter annihilation makes it seem like a target painter.
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #21 on: 15 Jun 2010, 22:42 »

Meh, I loved it. Capsuleers are Gods. Done deal. Probably the best chronicle I've read in a long time.

Capsuleers are for the very most part entirely likely to make threats, demands and extort entire planetary governments if they so choose just to make ISK. Why? Why not? No reason not to. I can yellowbox anything I want in this game, without Concord smacking me down. I can make any threat I want, make any demand I want... and I'm fairly sure that if I could interact with non-capsuleers in that way, I'd get what I want because the non-capsuleer knows only one thing:

Capsuleers are Gods. Angry Gods.

And the larger nations accept it for one single reason: What little 'bad' we do, and what problems we cause... is nowhere near the problems they'd face if the capsuleer caste had to be removed.

Svetlana Scarlet

• Omelette
« Reply #22 on: 16 Jun 2010, 05:17 »

the problem is not that capsuleers are angry gods, the problem is that CCP wants them to be angry gods and then carry on with the rest of the universe as if they are not.  There's a fundamental disconnect between how they portray capsuleers and how they portray the NPC universe, which makes the game completely nonsensical.

So capsuleers are angry gods who are completely untouchable?  Why does an organization exist whose very purpose is to keep them under control (CONCORD)?  How is it that any government continues to be able to exist when evidently their officials can be order to do anything at gunpoint with (apparently) no recourse?  If the capsuleers are not beholden to any government, why are the governments of the cluster depending on them for proxy wars?  Why do they continue to pay them obscene sums of money for various tasks instead of training up their own capsuleers with cortex bombs implanted in them or something?  Why did they allow this situation to evolve in the first place?  This hasn't been a gradual erosion of government authority -- private capsuleers have only been around supposedly as long as the game has been around.  This is like the US government suddenly deciding it's a great idea to just give everyone their own tactical nuclear weapons to protect the country.  That's retarded.  If there was no government in the first place, and capsuleers were the only law, I could see this state of affairs -- but CCP wants to carry on like the rest of the world continues as if nothing has happened.  That's the problem.

Laurentis Thiesant

• Egger
« Reply #23 on: 16 Jun 2010, 07:45 »

Damn Capsuleers. I'll kill 'em all myself if I have to!

... wait.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #24 on: 16 Jun 2010, 09:40 »

I have a big problem with this chron. I'm not even sure why the empires have agreed to this if capsuleers can actively violate the sovereignty of CONCORD worlds.

On the other hand, if this capsuleer can carry out his duty as malevolent, then I'm sure some of us can spin as benevolent too.

Also, maybe CONCORD giving capsuleers an illusion of power is something...they can just pull the plug at any time

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #25 on: 16 Jun 2010, 10:43 »

Assuming Omvistus isn't just a delusional maniac,

What is Faction Warfare For ?

Capsuleers fighting other capsuleers, so that governments can "control" planets, but that "control" is surrenderable at the slightest provocation by a capsuleer?

WAT?

Also, planetary bombardment means the end of EVE as a credible setting. It means no inhabitable worlds in short order. Fine if your setting is supposed to be the End Times, and everything is being wound up, with the last person standing being the absolute ruler of thousands of dead and dying worlds, but as a living setting? No.
\o/

The Cosmopolite

• Lord of Misrule
  • Wetgraver
    • eve-chatsubo OOC Forums
« Reply #26 on: 16 Jun 2010, 10:53 »

Early instance of preparing the way for the need for troops capable of taking on capsuleer-controlled planetary holdings...

...maybe.  ;)

Cos

PS. On factional warfare... yes, a missed opportunity here. I feel the militias should probably have been the only ones allowed to develop planets in militia warzones according to occupation status. This would give a seriously tangible benefit to FW. Maybe it will come one day but it should have been part of this from day one. Ah well.

Svetlana Scarlet

• Omelette
« Reply #27 on: 16 Jun 2010, 11:29 »

On factional warfare... yes, a missed opportunity here. I feel the militias should probably have been the only ones allowed to develop planets in militia warzones according to occupation status. This would give a seriously tangible benefit to FW. Maybe it will come one day but it should have been part of this from day one. Ah well.

Pretty much my feeling on the matter too.  I think only militia members should be allowed to erect POSes and maintain planetary operations in Empire space. :/

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #28 on: 16 Jun 2010, 12:02 »

In all high sec? Um no. That's what faction standings are for, though obviously militia have an advantage there. Though again a missed opportunity IMO for Planetville.

Svetlana Scarlet

• Omelette
« Reply #29 on: 16 Jun 2010, 12:07 »

In all high sec? Um no. That's what faction standings are for, though obviously militia have an advantage there. Though again a missed opportunity IMO for Planetville.

Well, yes, I think even in highsec, but admittedly I think my views are a little extreme.  I think it would be good to push as many people to align with the empires as much as possible though -- even if you join the militia, if you stay in highsec you're still mostly safe (but not _completely_ safe).
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7