Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That PIE has been at war with enemies of the empire ever since its foundation?

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Re: Re: Numbers of slaves in the Amarr Empire  (Read 3681 times)

Lyn Farel

Re: Re: Re: Numbers of slaves in the Amarr Empire
« Reply #15 on: 26 Mar 2015, 18:42 »

While it's not reasonable for either of us to expect the other to adopt the our opinions.  Amicable discussion of those differences is useful for avoiding misunderstandings.

This is why i'm always very weary into entering that kind of discussions OOCly, with our RL eyes.

Firstly it often leads to drama as it is most of the time the case when players start talking politics - which will not happen with you fortunately, and maybe not with me either, but I recently surprised myself to tell gtfo to an internet friend that eventually pissed me off enough with his shitty bigoted and racist politics RL so... Yeah, I am still surprised how nice it feels now that i do not have to deal with that everyday. It was really unnerving over the time.

Secondly, it starts to thread on PF interpretation. We already have a lot of PF interpretations that conflict with each other in the 'community', and while I have always been a huge proponent of people working them out between themselves to find good ways to fix that... Well, I got jaded eventually (recently actually) because people do not give 2 fucks about it and prefer to continue bickering and ignoring each other in a game where you obviously can't ignore each other. So much for rationalism.

So yes, I think it should be good for players to get to a mutual OOC understanding on interpretations differing widely because of RL political leanings or other things. The issue is even bigger with the strong emotional subject of religion which is directly brought ingame by the Amarr lore. I have difficulties to deal with atheist crusaders as much as I have difficulties to deal with religious apologists for which the 'RP' reeks of OOC bleedovers all over the place.

Maybe i'm being a coward and fleeing it now. Maybe we should discuss it like we should, but i'm afraid of the result now.

While none of the empires are really good or bad guys, if you were to read all the lore and rate rate them 'bad to good' using a metric of who used violence and coersion to force themselves on others you'd have a strong case for rating the empires as follows: Gallente Federation -> Amarr Empire -> Minmatar Republic -> Caldari State.

Seeing as you mention none of the factions in New Eden being wholly good or bad, why bother with the metric? Why do we - as players - need to know we are fighting for the "good guys" surely all that is needed is for our characters to believe that they are fighting for the "good guys"?

To my mind attempts to even place any of the factions in New Eden on a scale of good to bad for a player is doomed to fail as CCP hasn't provided us with anywhere near enough information to accurately assess the merits of the societies in New Eden. This lack of information however isn't a hindrance to our characters as they exist in the world, so we can safely write them as saying this is evil or this is not, etc.

Yes, but you wouldn't believe the actual amount of RPers that really believe they are playing one of the good guys, or one of the bad guys (those ones often turn into outright mustache twirling villains). The guys that believe that Amarr orthodoxy = space Catholicism and will start quoting at you actual passages from the RL bible as part of amarrian scripture. No joke.

They just see it differently, and think that they are playing in some kind of Star Wars setting, with the good guys (and their bad sides) and the bad guys (and their good sides).
« Last Edit: 26 Mar 2015, 18:44 by Lyn Farel »

purple

• Obvious Gallente Plant
  • Egger
« Reply #16 on: 26 Mar 2015, 18:55 »

That's the whole thing : the way you can see the Caldari is mostly up to your political RL affinities. And well yes, I am on the exact opposite on the political spectrum RL : authoritarian social democrat. Which explains things.

For those who mightnot know what the hell Lyn and I are talking about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2LVcu01QEU

Lyn leans to Hobbes and I toward Locke.
« Last Edit: 26 Mar 2015, 18:57 by purple »
You are RPing wrong.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #17 on: 26 Mar 2015, 19:05 »

Funny to see that video. Very english centric, while my studies were the exact contrary. I mostly learned about philosophers that spent their time criticizing Hobbes and his Leviathan.

purple

• Obvious Gallente Plant
  • Egger
« Reply #18 on: 26 Mar 2015, 19:23 »

Funny to see that video. Very english centric, while my studies were the exact contrary. I mostly learned about philosophers that spent their time criticizing Hobbes and his Leviathan.

I haven't yet had the privilege of going to college.  Government intervention has made it prohibitively expensive in the USA. But soon!  Thankfully in the interim corporations like Google. iTunes and Youtube provided me with excellent educational service for free.   (See what I did there?!)
« Last Edit: 26 Mar 2015, 19:49 by purple »
You are RPing wrong.

Jekaterine

• Like the wind
  • The Mods
  • Pod Captain
  • Wandering the halls of Chatsubo
Re: Re: Numbers of slaves in the Amarr Empire
« Reply #19 on: 27 Mar 2015, 11:02 »

[mod]Modded for flamebait and off topic. I would've split it but this is pruned from one split and as far as I can see there's some three or four individual threads that could be created from this. Feel free to make new threads on its respective topic in their various sections.[/mod]
Quote from: Ciarente the beatific, patron saint of moderators big and small
ban ban ban
Pages: 1 [2]