Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Myrhial Arkenath was born and raised on Saisio III? Read more here

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Emergent Threats  (Read 12172 times)

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
Re: Emergent Threats
« Reply #15 on: 19 Mar 2015, 17:40 »

Such bitterness.

But you can't stop the HYPE TRAIN CHOO CHOO!!

I know. And that's what terrifies me: That the living, breathing, developing world of New Eden is being sold to pay for shiny, flashy, hype-ish 'developments' that will ultimately be little more than either farmed content or forgotten down the line.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Letos

« Reply #16 on: 19 Mar 2015, 18:06 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3060a8NkOk

Most strikingly, things are just like, um, they always appeared to be? :D The seekers were always red on my overview for a reason, intimidating massive unknown structures brought us deadly things, and an exploding star in Jove space is not a good sign at all! Obvious thing is obvious^^

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #17 on: 19 Mar 2015, 18:41 »

One of the big issues is that the game and many of the features are developed and directed towards about 20% of the player base.    I think the old number was what, about 80% of subscription accounts don't leave highsec ever?

Anskek

« Reply #18 on: 19 Mar 2015, 19:52 »

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #19 on: 19 Mar 2015, 20:51 »

Here's to hoping that the Drifters use a much improved variant of the Sleeper AI. And they get smarter over time.

Also, we must find new ways to kill the little bastards.

Deep sea fish loves you forever

Kyoko Sakoda

• Pod Captain
« Reply #20 on: 20 Mar 2015, 00:33 »

RE: "The Big Four" -- I'm sorry, but you can't expect a company that is on the financial rocks (yes, due to past decisions) to prioritize something only the hardcore lore nerds will enjoy. That's not a growth market. Or a market.

To be frank, CCP owes you nothing except access to the game you still choose to pay for.

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #21 on: 20 Mar 2015, 01:51 »

Hmmm.

I don't really see why they're harvesting the bodies and then keeping them intact, supplanting with cybernetics. The CNS is already completely fried, and you might as well melt it down into raw goop to rebuild all the cellular damage...

That's the part that really gets me. Ok, they're harvesting bodies, what in hell is actually making them usable as-is rather than remade?
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #22 on: 20 Mar 2015, 02:40 »

Hmmm.

I don't really see why they're harvesting the bodies and then keeping them intact, supplanting with cybernetics. The CNS is already completely fried, and you might as well melt it down into raw goop to rebuild all the cellular damage...

That's the part that really gets me. Ok, they're harvesting bodies, what in hell is actually making them usable as-is rather than remade?

That the macguffin answer of "nanites" did not occur to you is mildly disturbing and/or disappointing. :p
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Gwen Ikiryo

• Omelette
« Reply #23 on: 20 Mar 2015, 03:03 »

I understand CCPs decisions and peoples enthusiasm, but I don't really think this game is headed in a direction I enjoy.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #24 on: 20 Mar 2015, 05:28 »

Maybe they harvest them for mere biomass, actually.

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #25 on: 20 Mar 2015, 05:58 »

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Nissui

« Reply #26 on: 20 Mar 2015, 07:31 »

Graelyn's image makes me wonder how different the drifter content would have been if players supplied no body parts...

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #27 on: 20 Mar 2015, 08:20 »

RE: "The Big Four" -- I'm sorry, but you can't expect a company that is on the financial rocks (yes, due to past decisions) to prioritize something only the hardcore lore nerds will enjoy. That's not a growth market. Or a market.

To be frank, CCP owes you nothing except access to the game you still choose to pay for.

I couldn't disagree more.  Most successful fiction IP's prioritize setting, story, and character with no shortage of profit, avid fanbases, and attention to lore detail.  They might only be a derivative/ straightforward FPS like say, HALO, but there's thousands of lore nerds pouring over all of the details and the game is a cohesive vision working within that fictional world. Or say, Starcraft, which is just a twitch based RTS, but they spend ridiculous amounts of time on the story, characters, and plot. 

I'm not shitting on the drifters per se, I'm shitting on a static world.  Hell even spawn of satan WOW does big expansions now where they drastically revamp longstanding NPC locations with both new npc content and huge aesthetic changes.

Also regarding the pithy money/access comment, I haven't given them any money in a long time. I paid for the game when I enjoyed the content, and then kept paying for some additional time while I enjoyed the content less, until paying them nothing for content I actively disliked.

I like the wonderfully creative and smart players and friends I've made in game and here on backstage, and I like the IP.  I really, really like the IP in it's original form. If I'm critical its because I like it so damned much that I'm scared/disapointed in the direction it's going, that's all.

But you are right that it is of course not MY IP, and I'm guilty of the common fanboi trope of feeling part ownership and criticizing an IP's direction.  But so much of that story is the work of players, so it's complicated.

« Last Edit: 20 Mar 2015, 08:31 by Silas Vitalia »

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #28 on: 20 Mar 2015, 11:35 »

Hmmm.

That the macguffin answer of "nanites" did not occur to you is mildly disturbing and/or disappointing. :p

The amount of work those nanites would have to do, you might as well melt down the organic bits into a soup and refabricate it like a fresh clone. Infinitely simpler and much easier to integrate cybernetics into.
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #29 on: 20 Mar 2015, 11:38 »

Hmmm.

Drones in People Suits.

maybe, the brain isn't what is doing the thinking, in a Drifter humanoid form.

Maybe it's the cyberdoodads.
\o/
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5