Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Quafe is so popular it once prevented a war? Read more in the Chron

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Emergent Threats  (Read 12162 times)

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
Emergent Threats
« on: 19 Mar 2015, 12:49 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3060a8NkOk

Get Hype.

All aboard the hype train.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Lyn Farel

Re: Emergent Threats
« Reply #1 on: 19 Mar 2015, 14:12 »

Ohh, so they are corpses collectors ?

Aldrith Shutaq

• Fleet Captain
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #2 on: 19 Mar 2015, 14:14 »

Capsuleers: protect your bits. Spacemen want to use them for both male and female enhancement.

Avio Yaken

• .________________________________________.
  • Egger
« Reply #3 on: 19 Mar 2015, 14:30 »

I feel proud of this trailer for some reason...

Vizage

• Egger
« Reply #4 on: 19 Mar 2015, 15:16 »

Do want Hover Nyx....

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #5 on: 19 Mar 2015, 15:20 »

Oooh, oogy boogy. *Wiggles fingers.* Be afraaaaaaaid.

Much drifters, so scared, many ships.

In case it wasn't totally clear, I'm not impressed. It may not be utterly lore-breaking in the way previous trailers have been, but this one still seemed to be firmly set in the problematic realm of "if things aren't EPIC!!11!, then no one will care!"

Here's the problem: Right now, we have absolutely no reason to be scared of these things.

"But Esna," you say, "it's for an upcoming expansion; they might not attack now, but surely things will get scary then! Didn't you see them going in on the attack?"

Yes, I absolutely did.

You know who else declared all-out war on capsuleers? Sansha.

The earliest days of incursions, for those who weren't around, were bloodbaths. Ships died by the dozens as people experimented with configurations to fight the Sansha; a successful mothership run was serious business.

Nowadays?

They're farmable content; worse yet, from what I've heard the Vigilant Tyrannos can already be reliably farmed by capital ships with the correct setup. So they blew up the Jovian gates? So what; there has literally been zero repercussion from this in meaningful terms (ingame or lorewise: how are the rest of the Big 4, or the pirate factions, reacting to the emergence? We have no idea). Want the Vigilant Jove to be scary? Have them welp a few nullsec fleets. Creating an enemy who is only threatening outside of a fight is not creating an effective enemy.

Worse yet, it's becoming increasingly apparent that CCP is unwilling to have the NPC factions pose a major threat to actual player organizations; we have to win, otherwise it isn't 'fun'.

To receive this (in my opinion) uninteresting and thematically unsuited content, we've been hit with the near-absolute excision of all development and living activity of all other factions in the game.

And I am not amused.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #6 on: 19 Mar 2015, 15:27 »

Worse yet, it's becoming increasingly apparent that CCP is unwilling to have the NPC factions pose a major threat to actual player organizations; we have to win, otherwise it isn't 'fun'.

To receive this (in my opinion) uninteresting and thematically unsuited content, we've been hit with the near-absolute excision of all development and living activity of all other factions in the game.

And I am not amused.

Esna wins Backstage today, exactly my thoughts.

All IP's change and evolve over time to focus on different characters and settings. I just happened to like the imo rich characters and settings for phase 1 of EVE.  You the player were a part of a larger interconnected lore world, albiet an important part. 

Phase 2 they've been pushing with player capsuleers running things and the removal of big 4 as a backdrop? *shrug*  They present it as the richer/larger lore world is irrelevant, unimportant, and not to be bothered with.

Kasuko

• Wetgraver
  • Impunetrable
« Reply #7 on: 19 Mar 2015, 16:30 »

« Last Edit: 19 Mar 2015, 16:32 by Kharakan »

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #8 on: 19 Mar 2015, 16:34 »

Whose house are we burning down?

Vulxanis Viceroy

• Lord Draconis
  • Clonejack
« Reply #9 on: 19 Mar 2015, 16:36 »

Oooh, oogy boogy. *Wiggles fingers.* Be afraaaaaaaid.

Much drifters, so scared, many ships.

In case it wasn't totally clear, I'm not impressed. It may not be utterly lore-breaking in the way previous trailers have been, but this one still seemed to be firmly set in the problematic realm of "if things aren't EPIC!!11!, then no one will care!"

Here's the problem: Right now, we have absolutely no reason to be scared of these things.

"But Esna," you say, "it's for an upcoming expansion; they might not attack now, but surely things will get scary then! Didn't you see them going in on the attack?"

Yes, I absolutely did.

You know who else declared all-out war on capsuleers? Sansha.

The earliest days of incursions, for those who weren't around, were bloodbaths. Ships died by the dozens as people experimented with configurations to fight the Sansha; a successful mothership run was serious business.

Nowadays?

They're farmable content; worse yet, from what I've heard the Vigilant Tyrannos can already be reliably farmed by capital ships with the correct setup. So they blew up the Jovian gates? So what; there has literally been zero repercussion from this in meaningful terms (ingame or lorewise: how are the rest of the Big 4, or the pirate factions, reacting to the emergence? We have no idea). Want the Vigilant Jove to be scary? Have them welp a few nullsec fleets. Creating an enemy who is only threatening outside of a fight is not creating an effective enemy.

And I am not amused.

You make a good point. But in the long run, is it really logical for CCP to allow the players to take heavy enough losses? *imagines supercap fleet of goonswarm getting utterly destroyed by these guys out of nowhere* Hmm... actually that doesn't sound like a bad idea :twisted:

Most of the nullsec alliances couldn't care less about the lore. If all of a sudden their fleets were being destroyed by the presence of NPCs that (mind you as far as we know drop no helpful loot) what would the repercussions be of them? Like from a business perspective. Unfortunately, the nullsec alliances, as well as the people in hisec who don't like to take too many risks, are both the lowest common denominator  :cry:

I agree with you completely on a logical level. They need to earn our concern. You're right 100%.

But I still choose to sit in my box with my little foil hat and scream "conspiracy!" at the aliens because the boogy man is scary. :eek: Don't judge me >_> Plus I'm loving the new special effects :D Hey, who knows? They might actually be going somewhere cool with this. We don't know >_>

Sidenote, maybe we'll get a lot more people interested in the lore because of this new plotline. I mean I keep hearing that the sansha days were pretty much the golden age of CCP/player interaction. Perhaps that will get revived? We can only hope.

Jocca Quinn

• Wetgraver
« Reply #10 on: 19 Mar 2015, 16:39 »

I'd be quite happy with the Drifters being another CONCORD, yeah you can kill them but damn you will pay a price.

Give us a few months of OH FUCK HOW DO WE STOP THESE THINGS at least.

But no, I don't think CCP have the balls to do that anymore, players (null sec anyway) have too much power, too much influence. nothing must desturb our empires / botting / rmting (yes bitter vet reporting here)

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #11 on: 19 Mar 2015, 16:42 »

NPCs aren't a threat, because, people would get mad about it.

People got mad about incursion cyno jammers in nullsec. REAL MAD.

how dare the game universe adversely affect players. Players do things to the environment. The environment does not and must not do things to players. Otherwise complete breakdown of civilisation as we know it.

so meh drifters.

also lol at jovian body parts being delivered to site one

jeff_goldblum_jurassic_park_could_should.jpg
\o/

Lyn Farel

« Reply #12 on: 19 Mar 2015, 17:03 »

I mean I keep hearing that the sansha days were pretty much the golden age of CCP/player interaction. Perhaps that will get revived? We can only hope.

Aurora was the golden age of CCP/player interaction. The Sansha arc was nothing in comparison.

I'd be quite happy with the Drifters being another CONCORD, yeah you can kill them but damn you will pay a price.

Give us a few months of OH FUCK HOW DO WE STOP THESE THINGS at least.

But no, I don't think CCP have the balls to do that anymore, players (null sec anyway) have too much power, too much influence. nothing must desturb our empires / botting / rmting (yes bitter vet reporting here)

I totally agree with you and Esna, but what you suggest is just totally irrealistic. Most players in Eve do not share the same tastes and wishes than we do. I too would love to see them kick in the nullsec shitpile, but that doesn't mean those people would enjoy it. Would you enjoy to see all what you have built be engulfed in flames by stupid NPCs ? That would just look like the devs told you FAIL LOL right up through your face. "Watch my drifters stacks of doom burn everything you have".

And even if that's not the problem, it's still the issue to literally force pve into their gameplay. It can be a game design choice, mind you, but not a sound one as it will alienate everyone. I could say the exact same thing if they did that in high sec. The outrage would be huge. That would not be FUN for most people, that's it. Tbh, I would love to see that. They force pvp into a core thing of the game into everyone's gameplay, so why not pve ? Maybe because pve and farmable content sucks ? Dunno vOv
« Last Edit: 19 Mar 2015, 17:10 by Lyn Farel »

Nissui

« Reply #13 on: 19 Mar 2015, 17:04 »

Calling on the Anoikis loremasters to expound upon the 'Construct'/mothership connection.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #14 on: 19 Mar 2015, 17:11 »

Such bitterness.

But you can't stop the HYPE TRAIN CHOO CHOO!!
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5