Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Eleutherian Guard, a capsuleer organisation, is a semi-independent paramilitary unit that answers to the Federal Security Council?

Author Topic: I am gonna try to learn to make 3d models..any tips? :o  (Read 1494 times)

Avio Yaken

• .________________________________________.
  • Egger

Hey ooc...so for the past week or so I have been working diligently to work with Blender to create models...so far all I made was a small house that..could look better but i will be able to produce ssomething of higher quality

Why would I wan't to learn this? Would be a Iinteresting trade to specialize in, perhaps even make a solid career out of it. A skill I can be proud to know that I can rub in someones face (assuming learning how to use this program is a achievement worth a damn)

But I have a long way to go with many tutorials to watch along the way but I ask if there is anyone here that is skilled in thia field to offer me any small tips like shortcuts to save me time or ways to make faces look more realistic or anything else

I plan on working with making characters,  props, guns and everything rlse as I plan to associate all this with UE4

Do share any advicr you can give 1

....also I typed this on a phone
« Last Edit: 12 Mar 2015, 08:08 by Foley Jones »

Lyn Farel

Re: I am gonna try to learn to make 3d models..any tips? :o
« Reply #1 on: 12 Mar 2015, 09:50 »

Yes, it is part of my job career.

Well any tips besides what you already said : follow shitloads of tutorials to learn about modeling first, then texturing, which are the basics, and already a huge chunk to learn. Then you can start interesting you in rigging, animation, lighting, etc.

Depending on the tutorials you will find, they should normally give you tips on what to do and not do. The tricky part is to find the good ones ofc. Maybe take a look on forums like polycount and the likes, even if they are for high end pros. I'm not sure besides that... sadly.

As for shortcuts, tutorials should also give them if they are also made on blender. I do not use blender myself so I couldnt help you there. I use 3DSMax, which is the one used for most video games. I am not sure how much blender offers in terms of support for games, though it should normally handle most usual export formats.

Keep in mind that what you are trying to achieve here is a colossal task (it's a real job to learn). At an amateur level it should be ok though, but considering how heavy and technical 3D software usually is, expect to spend many, many hours on it before even grasping the basics. It's not just photoshop or something similar in terms of complexity (which is already something), as you may have already guessed (it's 10 times deeper). You will also have to be able to handle yourself in photoshop as well for texturing btw, and since it's an art job, it's best to know that you will have to work on that level too.

The task is daunting, but with a good motivation and a lot of work, you will progressively start to do better and better things.

Good luck anyway !

NB : protip, once able to model and texture stuff, start with simple props, not characters. Character, it's very high end. The difficulty gap between both is enormous.

Avio Yaken

• Egger
« Reply #2 on: 12 Mar 2015, 09:58 »

So do you know any tutorial off the top of your head that could teach alot about the basics but also offer a challenge?

Lyn Farel

« Reply #3 on: 12 Mar 2015, 10:10 »

Nope... I'm past tutorials for some time now... Sorry. :/

Just keep looking for modeling tutorials for now. It's not a problem if the first ones are not challenging. Model simple things likes tables, forks, whatever. Even simple guns. Then find tutos for texturing with UVW maps complete unwraps.

Avio Yaken

• Egger
« Reply #4 on: 12 Mar 2015, 14:57 »

Well Rome was not built in a day...guess baby steps eould be the wisest thing to take before I walk on the moon

Unless I can learn to make a 3d Rome in a day >____>
 I SHALL DO THIS

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #5 on: 12 Mar 2015, 23:15 »

Maybe start with something like sketchup, crawl before you walk!

With any CAD, organization is key.  Layers, groups, etc.  The more organized you are when it's simple the easier it is when it's complicated...

Avio Yaken

• Egger
« Reply #6 on: 14 Mar 2015, 11:04 »

I made a chair \o/

I was actually kinda surprised when i made this as the tutorial actually  taught me some stuff that was rather useful for future projects despite this being a very simple design

A cutting tool that makes a line across the entire square that can be moved to cut off any amount into a different segment of the square

the dots represent a segment that i can edit..meaning i can have had the middle be blue and the sides be green if i wanted

But i would make segments on the very edge but leave a chunk of space left..i would do this on both axis which would leave me with 4 small corners in their own segments, then i would grab all four segments and  extrude them to make the chair's legs...i don't know  why but this really fascinated me

So with this new knowledge i wanted to build something on my own without a tutorial...

This stuff is very interesting...i hope to expand on this later

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #7 on: 14 Mar 2015, 12:07 »

Furniture is a good starting point because while the basic shape is usually the same there's lots of different styles based on that shape that you can use to experiment with the different tools you have available.

When I was dabbling in Second Life stuff, furniture was the first thing I started making, to teach myself how to do build objects and do LSL scripting.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #8 on: 14 Mar 2015, 13:27 »

I don't know how it is for blender, but you may have a very handy tool that I use almost as much as extrusion, which consists to connect 2 parallel edges (or not parallel btw, but that's really useful for parallel ones) and thus draw an orthogonal (or more !) edge to both of those, connecting them together. Put more clearly, you select two lines of a polygon and it cuts the polygon in half (or more).

To create the little squares that you will then extrude to make the feet of your chair, that tool is the way to go, so that you get perfectly orthogonal shapes.

Avio Yaken

• Egger
« Reply #9 on: 17 Mar 2015, 13:00 »

So i tried making a house...

Tried

It is Two stories ( don't ask about the top part)  and there is plenty of space on both floors to make rooms....Some of the most frustrating shit i had to deal with today was getting the camera to work...