Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Achura has been part of the State for three centuries? For more, read here.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: How massive are the pirate factions?  (Read 8463 times)

Avio Yaken

• .________________________________________.
  • Egger
Re: How massive are the pirate factions?
« Reply #30 on: 12 Mar 2015, 06:55 »

Hmm

So i am capable of making a decent discussion thread Rather than furious shit posts.....Well this is different..but nice >_>

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #31 on: 12 Mar 2015, 11:04 »

The fact that they basically dropped the rogue drone plotline after writing them up as a very viable and very scary existential threat to the cluster is something that bugs me. They were the closest thing EVE had to aliens and they played the part well.

Frankly, I think I'd have liked a drone invasion plotline more than this current sleepers/drifters/jove business.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Jukko Riis

• Clonejack
    • Black Rise Colonial Exploration
« Reply #32 on: 12 Mar 2015, 17:42 »

I'd rather have real aliens. Something innovative. Not bugs, not cat people, something truly alien.

And walking in stations.
[BRCE: Mission Statement!](https://blackrisecolex.wordpress.com/)

Korsavius

• Cold Wind's Blade
  • Omelette
  • "Dead man walking."
« Reply #33 on: 13 Mar 2015, 00:24 »

I'd prefer not. The whole "aliens invading" concept is something I'd rather not have in EVE, as not having it is something that has made EVE feel more unique to me. It also seems like a cliche concept. It is my strong dislike for this idea that I have no interest in the Drifter story arc CCP has put out. Just seems so cheesy to me. Although the Drifters aren't really "aliens" per se...
Character Profile - last updated 10.14.17

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #34 on: 13 Mar 2015, 00:29 »

I'd rather have real aliens. Something innovative. Not bugs, not cat people, something truly alien.

And walking in stations.

As the rogue drones continue to add to their programming and develop and evolve, we might end up with something that was once visibly human-made but now completely alien.
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Lyn Farel

« Reply #35 on: 13 Mar 2015, 04:53 »

Drifters look a bit cheesy yeah. The old jove we like are much more subtle in their posthumanist form.

Also, CCP used to say in the past that the game was not made for any green little alien period.

Avio Yaken

• .________________________________________.
  • Egger
« Reply #36 on: 13 Mar 2015, 08:31 »

i kinda want to see Tibus Heth come back and form a Provist faction in NULL sec....

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #37 on: 13 Mar 2015, 08:34 »

The Jove were fine because they were powerful, scary, and extremely rare.  I think I can count the events with actual Jove ships involved on-grid on one hand.  And then gone.

The Jove and any similarly powered things shouldn't be common sights.  They should show up once in a blue moon, WTFBBQ everything within 5 jumps of a place, and then ninja vanish.

If I were mandated by CCP to come up with game content for these scary new npc assets, I'd play it more like a lore treasure hunt.  Say the Drifters are back in a weakened (but still OP) state, and need 'x' of their ancient mcguffins lost to history in order to re-assemble their technology or build their death-star or whatever before they kill everyone in New Eden.

You could have a series of events, say one a month or so, where the Drifters are learning where their old tech ended up on various planets or deadspace locations or whatever.  Clues are disseminated ahead of time for capsuleers to figure out where the next location is, giving them a time to form up defenses and prevent them from their goals.   Think of it like 'the crucible' from Mass Effect 3 except it's the bad guys trying to build the thing.

So you have a bunch of events with people fighting to stop them (or trying to sabotage efforts), adjusting difficulty as they go.  Maybe they get to build their superweapon and the last pieces they need are on like Amarr Prime or Matar or something, and they blow up the planet if the capsuleers fail.  DYNAMIC CONTENT.

Anyway this sort of stuff would be great for any of the pirate factions.  Give them a goal, give them places in space to try and achieve their goals, give capsuleers avenues to stop them (or help them). Sort of like the Sansha events, but with tangible game results for success or failure (this system invasion was not stopped, all the stations in this system are now exploded).

There just has to be an effort to make the game world dynamic and the npc-focused playerbase goals and objectives that have tangible results.  Flipping occupancy on a bunch of lowsec systems for no permanent results is not it. 

I want pirates, rogue drones, scary drifters, whatever, constantly pushing on the borders of the big 4 empires and the 90% of eve players who just shoot NPCs tasked with helping out to maintain the safety of 1.0 space, or lose it.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #38 on: 13 Mar 2015, 09:50 »

I want pirates, rogue drones, scary drifters, whatever, constantly pushing on the borders of the big 4 empires and the 90% of eve players who just shoot NPCs tasked with helping out to maintain the safety of 1.0 space, or lose it.

If the Drifters are the proof of concept for new enemy AI, we might even see something like this.

Not exactly like this, of course, but....

Lyn Farel

« Reply #39 on: 13 Mar 2015, 10:12 »

The Jove were fine because they were powerful, scary, and extremely rare.  I think I can count the events with actual Jove ships involved on-grid on one hand.  And then gone.

The Jove and any similarly powered things shouldn't be common sights.  They should show up once in a blue moon, WTFBBQ everything within 5 jumps of a place, and then ninja vanish.

If I were mandated by CCP to come up with game content for these scary new npc assets, I'd play it more like a lore treasure hunt.  Say the Drifters are back in a weakened (but still OP) state, and need 'x' of their ancient mcguffins lost to history in order to re-assemble their technology or build their death-star or whatever before they kill everyone in New Eden.

You could have a series of events, say one a month or so, where the Drifters are learning where their old tech ended up on various planets or deadspace locations or whatever.  Clues are disseminated ahead of time for capsuleers to figure out where the next location is, giving them a time to form up defenses and prevent them from their goals.   Think of it like 'the crucible' from Mass Effect 3 except it's the bad guys trying to build the thing.

So you have a bunch of events with people fighting to stop them (or trying to sabotage efforts), adjusting difficulty as they go.  Maybe they get to build their superweapon and the last pieces they need are on like Amarr Prime or Matar or something, and they blow up the planet if the capsuleers fail.  DYNAMIC CONTENT.

Anyway this sort of stuff would be great for any of the pirate factions.  Give them a goal, give them places in space to try and achieve their goals, give capsuleers avenues to stop them (or help them). Sort of like the Sansha events, but with tangible game results for success or failure (this system invasion was not stopped, all the stations in this system are now exploded).

There just has to be an effort to make the game world dynamic and the npc-focused playerbase goals and objectives that have tangible results.  Flipping occupancy on a bunch of lowsec systems for no permanent results is not it. 

The Jove were not so rare actually... Reading a lot of old chronicles, there is always a jovian ambassador or a small jovian group at some point, doing jovian things...

Ofc, much rarer than any other faction.

Also, 1000% yes for dynamic content like that. But no for deus ex machinas, you can do drama perfectly fine without involving ancient reapers and threats that will call the doom of all civilization known...

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #40 on: 13 Mar 2015, 10:36 »

The Jove were not so rare actually... Reading a lot of old chronicles, there is always a jovian ambassador or a small jovian group at some point, doing jovian things...

Ofc, much rarer than any other faction.

I meant they were very rare in game.  There was a time when you would occasionally see actual jove ships in space and shoot them, or if I recall correctly more likely they would explode you.

They were basically 8/8/8 Dev Pownmobiles that would occasionally be out and about.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #41 on: 13 Mar 2015, 13:40 »

Yeah, I always wanted a 8/8/8 Eidolon back in that era.   :P

purple

• Obvious Gallente Plant
  • Egger
« Reply #42 on: 12 Apr 2015, 21:29 »

If the Drifters are the proof of concept for new enemy AI, we might even see something like this.

I haven't been following this stuff too close so I'm not so savvy on things.   However, when the WHs were first introduced I popped into a few and read all the items etc.   After a few hours of probing I came to the conclusion that some ancient unkown race had zainou'd themselves into the matrix because some plague was killing their organic bodies.   It seemed pretty obvious to me, especially considering the VR flavor of the other material CCP was putting out, but the RP community did seem to think the idea had merit.   

Didn't we later learn that it was one of the Jovian Empires that had become the sleepers by uploading their minds to VR because of the Jovian disease?

If the that's so, then are the Drifters an AI or are they Jovians un-zainouing themselves back into new bodies?

http://backstage.eve-inspiracy.com/index.php?topic=967.msg11334#msg11334
« Last Edit: 12 Apr 2015, 21:42 by purple »
You are RPing wrong.

Gwen Ikiryo

• Omelette
« Reply #43 on: 12 Apr 2015, 21:51 »

I haven't been following this stuff too close so I'm not so savvy on things.   However, when the WHs were first introduced I popped into a few and read all the items etc.   After a few hours of probing I came to the conclusion that some ancient unkown race had zainou'd themselves into the matrix because some plague was killing their organic bodies.   It seemed pretty obvious to me, especially considering the VR flavor of the other material CCP was putting out, but the RP community did seem to think the idea had merit.   

Didn't we later learn that it was one of the Jovian Empires that had become the sleepers by uploading their minds to VR because of the Jovian disease?

If the that's so, then are the Drifters an AI or are they Jovians un-zainouing themselves back into new bodies?

Unfortunately, Templar One gives answers to all these questions, and the explanation is way dumber.

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #44 on: 12 Apr 2015, 22:19 »

Unfortunately, Templar One gives answers to all these questions, and the explanation is way dumber.

As in VR-world born AI stealing bodies from capsuleers to invade meatspace.
Deep sea fish loves you forever
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4