Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That docked frigates are hooked in with massive electromagnetic anchors? (The Burning Life p. 75)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: eve online Crossover with ster war  (Read 3821 times)

Lyn Farel

Re: eve online Crossover with ster war
« Reply #15 on: 04 Mar 2015, 04:06 »

Lucas past 2000, or Lucas in the 80's ?

That's not the same man... :/

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #16 on: 04 Mar 2015, 11:58 »

This isn't to say that Eve is entirely coherent, either, and it's pretty clear that the capacitor juice required to fire a weapon has absolutely no bearing on it's yield. Consider the 1000mm (or one meter) railgun. I assume that Eve railguns are vastly more efficient than our own. In this case, I presumed that they are firing at roughly 50% of the speed of light

Well, that's an issue...

Quote from: Evelopedia
Railguns use magnetic rails to fire solid chunks of matter at hypersonic speed.

...because they do not fire at even 0.01% light speed. 'Hypersonic' is often defined as Mach 5 to Mach 25; let's be generous and take that upper limit, around 8,465 m/s. Using your 7,840kg mass value, that totals up to around 274 MJ. But hey, let's be generous again and say that the actual kinetic energy delivered is one thousand times that, or 2.74x1014 J. Under this assumption, it would take over three thousand shots to equal a single shot fired from an outdated warship's main battery.

This would also explain how, in a rather infamous Chronicle (EDIT: Xenocracy), a capsuleer could threaten to wipe out a city with a couple shots from a comparatively puny 425mm railgun.

The point of Xenocracy is that he was bluffing. CONCORD does not allow us to fire on planets outside of approved warzone situations.

I do agree that the comparison is sort of silly, though. The universes fundamentally aren't designed to fit together any more than other sci-fi universes are, and such discussions shouldn't be taken too seriously. I just happen to love messing around with them for amusement.

I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #17 on: 04 Mar 2015, 12:44 »

If it hits instantly at 250km it's well past hypersonic. Evelopedia can and will be inaccurate in some cases. As ISIS points out ingame:

Quote from: ISIS on Hybrid Turrets
Instant-hitting weapon with fast reload time. Deals Kinetic and Thermal damage types.

While one might be able to successfully argue that perhaps that should read "Effectively instant-hitting" (and probably pretty easily for ACs and artillery) I don't personally have a ton of issue with the idea that technology in New Eden can be sufficiently advanced to allow for the acceleration of a slug to 250km/s and accurately land a hit in the space of about a second.

Where I am going to take issue is the comparison of effective output based on the supposed energy output/intake of these weapons on either side. I am no physics major, but I am not so sure that the numbers used in EVE are actually realistic to begin with (they seem awfully low, even with possible efficiency stuff taken into account), and common sense says "question the shit out of anything Star Wars no matter how much you like it." (Because THOSE numbers really seem high regardless of whether they're canon or not.)

But then, this is why I've always hated these kinds of crossover debates. The numbers are the easiest way to make comparisons but... they're rarely consistent, or in my view, intelligently or rationally decided upon, so comparison becomes little more than a meaningless pissing contest.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #18 on: 04 Mar 2015, 14:50 »

One of the weirdest things with Eve weapons is railguns dealing less alpha damage than artillery. They no heard of kinetic energy ?  :bash:

Railguns should take time to reload (because coil/electric guns ffs), but deal incredible amounts of alpha damage... Of course then, if we take into account that projectiles are instant hitting too, I guess that makes them for some reason able to match railguns in bullet speed and so... Okay then.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #19 on: 04 Mar 2015, 16:30 »

The whole situation is nearly-impossible to analyze from a game-mechanics point of view; for instance, artillery and railguns both traveling 250km in under a second, resulting in speeds of around 0.08% c - the kind of velocities at which a warhead is no longer helpful, let alone the acceleration needed to bring a projectile to that speed before it leaves the barrel.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Quintrala

• Speed Fairy
  • Wetgraver
  • Summer is coming
    • Speed Fairy Blog
« Reply #20 on: 08 Mar 2015, 15:19 »

Setting aside some technical stuff (oh, did I just hear someone's brain melt?) the opportunity for characters to face the unknown would be awesome. I am not sure how many ways I Will Be Doing This Wrong but...

A long time ago and thousands of years from now...

Crossover

After the destruction of the Death Star
the Imperial Starfleet looks for rebel forces,
intent in finding an exterminating any and all resistance.

An anomaly has been found in space where ships
disappear without a trace or appear without notice.

The Empire has sent a squadron to maintain a quarantine
zone and intercept any rebel forces that may hide there.

Unbeknownst to them, the anomaly they watch
is an open window to a distant star cluster...

Aboard ISD Fearless
Attached to SSD Terminator squadron
Holding station at spatial anomaly IGC-232-168

"Captain, a spacecraft has just exited hyperspace within the no-fly zone. Small transport, lightly armed. unknown configuration. Possibly Corellian."

"Smugglers. Hail it for inspection and advise Terminator."

"Attention, attention unidentified craft, this is ISD Fearless of the Imperial Navy. You have entered a restricted area, you will power down and prepare for boarding. Failure to comply will be met by force."

The wedge-shaped star destroyer initiated a lazy curve away from the rest of the battlegroup, accompanied by a host of smaller craft, while a squadron of tie-fighters made a bee line towards the intruder.

--

Aboard GSS Interloper - Helios-class exploration ship
Locus signature J232168 (K162 wormhole exit)

"FC, FC, this is Interloper. The exit is camped, a dozen supercapitals here with fighters out. A carrier and bunch of subcaps are heading my way. I am being hailed by the Empire and am heading back in now."

"Interloper, wait... Cloak cloak cloak cloak. Evade and warp to nearest celestial as soon as you are out of the bubble. If it is Amarrians inside a wormhole, we need to find out more."

"Ah, FC. There is no bubble and these are not Amarrian Navy markings. Warping to star." The captain relaxed inside his pod as soon as the frigate hit warp. "From what I saw these are not even Amarrian ships. Several of them the size of a dreadnought, one of them as big as a titan and overview lists all of them as unknown. Want me to snoop around?"

The Fleet Commander smiled. "Please do, Interloper. Maybe they are Drifters or Sansha" he said, secretly hoping it was neither. "I will call reinforcements up - we could stand to get some good loot out of this fight."

Maybe they had just stumbled upon an entrance into that other empire, the Jove. And if it was, he intended to keep it.
« Last Edit: 08 Mar 2015, 21:12 by Quintrala »

Lyn Farel

« Reply #21 on: 08 Mar 2015, 17:13 »

:lol:

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #22 on: 10 Mar 2015, 18:06 »

Mixing different IPs operating under different universe rules is ultimately just a game of 'nuh uh this ship wins, no way that ship wins' even if an interesting idea :)

SW is pulp fantasy adventure with the tech and universe rules thought of after the fact.  Is it cool? Does it pew pew and look neat and serve the story? Go for it!

Eve is similar, but just under different sci fi 'grimdark' rulesets. 

When one side has entire orders of insane magic space monks though, you know... time to quit.

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #23 on: 10 Mar 2015, 20:43 »

Mixing different IPs operating under different universe rules is ultimately just a game of 'nuh uh this ship wins, no way that ship wins' even if an interesting idea :)

SW is pulp fantasy adventure with the tech and universe rules thought of after the fact.  Is it cool? Does it pew pew and look neat and serve the story? Go for it!

When one side has entire orders of insane magic space monks though, you know... time to quit.

But can insane magic space monk defeat resurrecting immortal supersoldiers slinging miniature suns with a shotgun?
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #24 on: 10 Mar 2015, 21:02 »

But can insane magic space monk defeat resurrecting immortal supersoldiers slinging miniature suns with a shotgun?

"The power to sling suns is insignificant next to the power of the Force"

Or something *shrug*

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #25 on: 10 Mar 2015, 21:16 »

"The power to sling suns is insignificant next to the power of the Force"

Or something *shrug*

Whoever wins, the infrastructure loses.
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Lyn Farel

« Reply #26 on: 11 Mar 2015, 03:10 »

I want magic space monks into my corp for counter intelligence careers.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #27 on: 13 Mar 2015, 11:24 »

I want magic space monks into my corp for counter intelligence careers.
Lord, just imagine Jedi/Sith corp spais.

*wave of hand*

"That starbase has enough fuel."

*wave of hand*

"That system's not important to you."

*wave of hand*

"You already paid the fee on your alliance."
« Last Edit: 13 Mar 2015, 11:43 by Aria Jenneth »
Pages: 1 [2]