Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That all Blood Raider commanders receive substantial theological training as well? (The Burning Life, p. 56)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: 7 Days to Die Playthrough: Vikarion  (Read 7575 times)

Vikarion

Re: 7 Days to Die Playthrough: Vikarion
« Reply #15 on: 23 Mar 2015, 16:07 »

Day 9

Ventured out of my cave again, a bit later in the morning. Before that, though, I did some more digging. I've decided that living directly underground all the time just isn't going to work - I need to build a compound.

The small town I looted should provide plenty of materials, and a good, flat place to use them. So I've been digging a tunnel towards it, and now upwards. If I've planned it right, I should come up right in the middle. Then I'll need to do some demolition, but that should be manageable.

At any rate, around 9 am I started out for another supply run to the city. I've been doing some hunting, but I can always use more food, and there are items in the stores there that I just can't make, yet. Like gas.

My first foray was less than successful. I was almost immediately attacked by one of the police dogs. Why they are vulnerable to the virus, and not, say, cats, is beyond me. This one was fast, though, and managed to nip me. That wouldn't have been so bad, save that I immediately began to feel the effects of the infection.

Fortunately, I'd made more than one dose of the cure. Hightailing it back to my hideout, I drank it down with some water, and after bandaging the wound - more like a scrape - I started out again.

This time I was more successful. I hit gas station and found some more fuel for the auger - I don't know how I could possibly have made a reasonable home underground save for that tool - and went further in. The noise I'd made at the gas station had attracted a following, however, and I found myself being pursued. Trying to hide, I broke into a boarded up police station, and started exploring it. I found a gun safe, and a few other items, but I made a lot of noise in the process, as the former occupants appeared to have conducted a room-to-room defense, and everything was boarded up.

My attempts to get through were ended when I encountered a zombie making his way up the stairs. Bashing him over the head, I realized that the horde had found me again. Most of them were trying to tear through the walls, but soon enough they'd be filtering in through the door. So, I grabbed my pack, slung it over my shoulder, and ran for it.

Fortunately, the mass of the police station was between me and the horde. I therefor had the liberty of heading back relatively un-pursued. That realization encouraged me to check out a large apartment building on my way back. The building was largely intact, and the apartments were large and rather nice. Comparing them to my sleeping bag on a stone slab made me feel a bit sad. I hope some people are still living in houses.

I spent the next few minutes looting the kitchens. Most of the food had been cleaned out, but there were a few canned goods left, as well as a few things rotting in the refrigerators, which I left alone. I was still looting when I heard one of those things, inside the building. Well, my bag was full, so I decided to leave while the leaving was good.

That was pretty much it for the day.

Actually, I almost forgot: there was a parking attendant's shack or something I looted between the gas station and police station. It had a small safe inside, partly open, and inside was a radio, with batteries. Not sure what kind, looks like some sort of modified hobby radio, probably something the attendant used to pass the time. Going to see if I can get it working.

Vikarion

« Reply #16 on: 23 Mar 2015, 19:40 »

Day 10

Not much more to add today. Radio isn't working yet, needs new batteries, I think.

I finished the access hole, and built a small bunker around it on the surface. Had to kill a few zombies that came to investigate.

I took a few pictures with the camera I found. I'll tuck them in here.

A blackened apartment building in the ruined city to the east:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

The downward slanting access ramp I dug the first day and night:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

The small town I looted on the first day, and site of my expansion plans:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Main interior of my current home:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

The Bunker, in the small town, start of my expansion plans:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #17 on: 24 Mar 2015, 09:27 »

Really enjoying this series Vikarion. Keep it coming!

Vikarion

« Reply #18 on: 24 Mar 2015, 10:24 »

Really enjoying this series Vikarion. Keep it coming!

Thanks! It always helps to know there are interested readers.  :)

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #19 on: 24 Mar 2015, 14:10 »

You are helping to inform a purchase decision, damn you. (As if I needed to spend more money on games...)

Vikarion

« Reply #20 on: 25 Mar 2015, 00:31 »

You are helping to inform a purchase decision, damn you. (As if I needed to spend more money on games...)

Give me your Steam name - I'll buy it for you.  :)

Recently had a drawing where I did just that.

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #21 on: 25 Mar 2015, 14:57 »

I already bought it. :)

Vikarion

« Reply #22 on: 26 Mar 2015, 00:25 »

Day 11, part 1

I wish I could tell someone what this feels like. Alone. Me. By myself.

What can I say. This is an insanity, an unreality.

I know there are others, just like me, out there. I know there are survivors. But I can't get the radio to work. I need new batteries.

To go into the city again. That nexus of death. It's all I can see, a smoky sky, endlessly crying hordes. For batteries.

But if I don't...If I don't.

I'll live here, alone, and no one will know my name, or my struggles. I will live here, and die here, under a deep blue sky.

You don't know how awful, how disgusting that is. In the movies, the horror always comes at night, or on a storm, or in a group. It's never alone. It is never in the sunshine. In the light, how can bad things happen?

Here, I, have come to discover this tragedy: it will all happen, under a sunny, happy, cheerful sky. We will all die, have died, under a shining sun, with nature looking on, under a happy blue sky. A good day.

Oh gods.

I think I'm gonna puke.

Vikarion

« Reply #23 on: 27 Mar 2015, 16:28 »

Day 11, part 2

I went back into the city. Hit a hardware store. It was boarded up, so I smashed one of the windows and got in. That attracted a few of the zombies, and those that didn't hear that heard the moans of the others. It's strange how they can surround you so fast, when all they are doing is walking.

People always used to laugh at Romero's zombies. How could anything so slow be a threat? Well, the real world's version aren't exactly the same - running at night, can be incapacitated with enough damage to the body, and spread by infection - but nonetheless, we underestimated how difficult it is to deal with, essentially, a flock of threats. Zombies aren't like an army, or a horde. They're more like...water, flowing around something, looking for weaknesses, and constantly there, never waiting.

That was our big advantage as a predator: our endurance. We don't have sharp claws, and, although a human bite is bacteriologically deadly and quite capable of slicing through flesh, we just don't have the jaw size to kill larger mammals. But we can run virtually anything on the planet into the ground. And now, we have something that can run us into the ground.

The first zombie got through the window as I was tearing apart crates in the back. You'd think a hardware store would have batteries, but they didn't. Or, rather, they had had them, and now didn't. There were various other bits of miscellaneous junk, some of which I packed away for melting as scrap iron, but no batteries.

Another zombie or so managed to infiltrate the store through the broken window before I was finished opening the various crates. Most of the horde, however, were stacked up against the back of the building, trying to tear through the roll-down door of the loading dock. This gave me the opportunity to flee out the front, just dodging away from the grasp of a last zombie making his way through the bare shelves of the store.

I made it to a more deserted area, and considered my options. I could have returned to home base, but I really wanted those batteries. So I went back in.

It wasn't long before I attracted attention again. There was a large building nearby, and so I decided to try it. I busted through a door, and found myself on the other side of an emergency exit of a movie theater. It struck me that a movie theater wasn't the best place to find batteries, but it was what I had, so I went with it.

The inside of the theater was fairly dark, but I managed well enough. Exploring a bit, I found a small kitchen, and inside one of the supply drawers, batteries! I suppose no one thinks to ransack the cinema during an apocalypse. I certainly hadn't, not on purpose. I found even more inside one of the employee booths for the projectors, and even made my way up onto the roof, where I found the sun-mummified body of another survivor. I suppose he just ran out of food.

It was working my way back down into the theater when I her shuffling steps. They'd found their way in. Coming around a corner, I came face-to-face with one. Fortunately, I had expected that, and brought my hammer down on his head before he could grab for me. After that, I snagged one of the cheap paintings off the wall for my hideout, and ran for it.

This outing was far less difficult than some of the others. Of course, I stayed on the fringes of the city this time. The concentration of biters seems to be denser closer to the city center. Nonetheless, I'm grateful that it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. Or, perhaps it is because I expected it to be so bad that made it less so.

In any case, I'm alive, I'm back home, and I have batteries. A good day.

Vikarion

« Reply #24 on: 13 Sep 2015, 16:02 »

I hate to conclude this like this, but I cannot continue this story as 7 Days to Die released an update that sorta broke my save game, and then I had to replace my computer.
Pages: 1 [2]