Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

that non-capsuleer viewership of the Intergalactic Summit reaches into the hundreds of millions and vehement debates rage within planetary communities based on the positions espoused there by capsuleers.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Engineering question - building materials  (Read 3633 times)

Gwen Ikiryo

• Omelette
Re: Engineering question - building materials
« Reply #15 on: 12 Feb 2015, 09:05 »

And since genetic tampering is rather taboo pretty much everywhere, I doubt we see a lot of really advanced bioscience other than your usual genetic enhanced livestock... Although I wonder where they draw the limit, if you can have buildings made out of biological bodies like pre-programmed coral.

The Gallente technology article mentions genetic tampering is pretty common for them, actually. Designer babies and stuff.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #16 on: 12 Feb 2015, 11:29 »

Ok, good to know =)

I'm completely tainted by old lore... :/

Veiki

• Egger
« Reply #17 on: 12 Feb 2015, 23:36 »

Thanks for the responses, it's provided a lot of food for thought.

On a slightly related note:

An Amarrian engineer oversees a construction site. In later years the building collapses and kills people. It is found out he was involved in corrupt practices and used substandard materials to cut costs so he could embezzle funds.

Would there be potential he would be charged of "heresy" by something like the Synod of Holy Amarrian Imperial Engineers for violating the proper scriptural method for a concrete pour?

Another mundane question I know, but I'm curious as to how given the Amarrian Scriptures cover not only matters of faith and spirituality but also practical matters would such an instance make sense?

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #18 on: 13 Feb 2015, 00:50 »

An Amarrian engineer oversees a construction site. In later years the building collapses and kills people. It is found out he was involved in corrupt practices and used substandard materials to cut costs so he could embezzle funds.

Would there be potential he would be charged of "heresy" by something like the Synod of Holy Amarrian Imperial Engineers for violating the proper scriptural method for a concrete pour?

Another mundane question I know, but I'm curious as to how given the Amarrian Scriptures cover not only matters of faith and spirituality but also practical matters would such an instance make sense?

Depends on how far it was violated. Heresy tends to be a matter of belief and not just breaking the principles. So, if he was just breaking scriptural law, he's just a criminal and lawbreaker (on both temporal and theological level, in Amarr). But if he actually started advocating his lawbreaking as a general principle, then it'd be heresy.

In other words, heresy is pretty hard to get actually convicted of (charges are likely to happen all the time though, but probably get dropped most of the time). Heresy in legal terms would probably be something like, "to knowingly and with intent to establish and spread false belief act in severe contradiction to Scripture." In other words, it'd have to be a much bigger thing than just breaking the law. It'd have to be outright advocating that the law is wrong, that your own law is better, and advocating for its spread and dissemination amongst wider society.

In terms of whether law covers such mundane things? Yes it does. Amarr has sainted people over land parceling reform. A lot of what is considered very basic bureaucratic and administrative principles would indeed be in Scripture (namely, anything that is Empire-wide law. Basically, Federal law in Amarr is religious law, local/state laws (Holder and below laws) are not religious law).

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #19 on: 13 Feb 2015, 01:23 »

Depends on how far it was violated. Heresy tends to be a matter of belief and not just breaking the principles. So, if he was just breaking scriptural law, he's just a criminal and lawbreaker (on both temporal and theological level, in Amarr). But if he actually started advocating his lawbreaking as a general principle, then it'd be heresy.

In other words, heresy is pretty hard to get actually convicted of (charges are likely to happen all the time though, but probably get dropped most of the time). Heresy in legal terms would probably be something like, "to knowingly and with intent to establish and spread false belief act in severe contradiction to Scripture." In other words, it'd have to be a much bigger thing than just breaking the law. It'd have to be outright advocating that the law is wrong, that your own law is better, and advocating for its spread and dissemination amongst wider society.

In terms of whether law covers such mundane things? Yes it does. Amarr has sainted people over land parceling reform. A lot of what is considered very basic bureaucratic and administrative principles would indeed be in Scripture (namely, anything that is Empire-wide law. Basically, Federal law in Amarr is religious law, local/state laws (Holder and below laws) are not religious law).

Amarr Empire may be a theocracy, but not all theocracies are like the Imperium, where entire worlds could, with impunity, be declared 'Excommunicate traitoris' and have a Cyclonic Torpedo dropped on them because of a tax error or somebody accidentally collapsed a cathedral dedicated to a God figure.

40K is over-the-top parody and must be recognised as such. Theocracies still practice common sense and restrain. Some lawyers might start taking passages from Scriptures to sway opinions against the defendant but that doesn't mean the judge is going to start calling the defendant a heretic and sentence him to being burned him on a stake because he evaded taxes.
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #20 on: 13 Feb 2015, 01:58 »

Seeing as I have never played nor read the lore of 40k, and frankly don't care about the universe, please don't assume at random that I am using some kind of 40k inspiration. Assuming that you are referring to my post since you quoted my post.

And no, it's quite a lot more than 'just occasionally quoting a passage from Scripture'. Much of Amarrian law IS Scripture. Amarrian trials (the ones handled by the Theology Council, at least) are literal theological debates with the lawyers quoting passages and discussing varying interpretations and how they apply to the crime being tried.

So again. Evading taxes? No, not heresy. But evading taxes while shouting that taxes are immoral in the sight of God, the tax system as written in Scriptures must be abolished and replaced with X, and encouraging the people around you to not pay their taxes either on that merit? That could very possibly get a heresy conviction.

This is, of course, assuming that the tax law in question is an Empire-wide one and thus from Scripture, and not, say, a local law. The latter would be tried by the Civic Court and be a bit less severe.
« Last Edit: 13 Feb 2015, 02:23 by Samira Kernher »

Lyn Farel

« Reply #21 on: 13 Feb 2015, 03:22 »

I would expect, Elmund, that heresy, while grave sin in itself, also has very different scales depending on the heresy in question. For the little commoner evading taxes and then screaming that they are unfair and ungodly, it sure will make his case a lot worse and serious to the eyes of the Civic Court, but it's definitely not on the same scale as preaching blooder practices openly.

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #22 on: 13 Feb 2015, 04:42 »

Seeing as I have never played nor read the lore of 40k, and frankly don't care about the universe, please don't assume at random that I am using some kind of 40k inspiration. Assuming that you are referring to my post since you quoted my post.

And no, it's quite a lot more than 'just occasionally quoting a passage from Scripture'. Much of Amarrian law IS Scripture. Amarrian trials (the ones handled by the Theology Council, at least) are literal theological debates with the lawyers quoting passages and discussing varying interpretations and how they apply to the crime being tried.

So again. Evading taxes? No, not heresy. But evading taxes while shouting that taxes are immoral in the sight of God, the tax system as written in Scriptures must be abolished and replaced with X, and encouraging the people around you to not pay their taxes either on that merit? That could very possibly get a heresy conviction.

This is, of course, assuming that the tax law in question is an Empire-wide one and thus from Scripture, and not, say, a local law. The latter would be tried by the Civic Court and be a bit less severe.

I was using your quote to help myself elaborate a point.
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #23 on: 13 Feb 2015, 08:48 »

There probably is a Book of Civil Engineering, or several of them, with chapters about the appropriate concrete mix of sand, aggregates and cement, and the proper way to pour it, for various applications.

Early sections might have passages beginning something like:
"Through the Light of the Lord, the following mysteries of concrete were revealed to I, a humble civil engineer, in service to Emperor Heideran I, during the construction of the Grand Cathedral of Kathis."

and then go on about the maximum strength, reactions in hot/cold weather, and so on.

Using substandard materials, would be a Sin, rather than heresy.
\o/
Pages: 1 [2]