Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

All male members of the Ardishapur family traditionally have their right hand amputated? See why you don't make the Emperor's mother angry.

Author Topic: How do you play EVE with a Baby in tow?  (Read 1858 times)

Saikoyu

• Omelette
How do you play EVE with a Baby in tow?
« on: 23 Jun 2010, 16:38 »

Sorry if this isn't in the right spot.

This is mostly for the parents on this board, since I think I have spotted a few, but if you have some insight to this, please feel free to say something.  My question is simple.  If one has a around 6 month old baby, like I do, how does one still find the time to play EvE?  Or even does one? 

For those who want some more details, how you go.  I work about 8-9 hours a day, take about 2 hours commuting, and most of the rest of the time seems to disappear into daily chores and taking care of the baby.  In case you are wondering, I'm not a single parent, so there is someone else taking care of the baby during the day and a bit at night.  So, was I silly to think that I could get away with spending some good time on EvE?  Anyone else here managed it, and if so how?  I'd really like to know.  Or should I just stop blowing my money until he's 20 and moved out? 

Thanks

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
Re: How do you play EVE with a Baby in tow?
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jun 2010, 16:59 »

It's tough when they're that age, and of course spending time with the baby and your partner should come first.

We all need down time / alone time, though. As long as you maintain gaming in the proper balance with the rest of your life and keep hold of the more important things, you certainly can make it work. You may need to adjust your playstyle, though, to accomodate frequent and unpredictable interruptions. Perhaps work out some arrangement with your partner so that both of you get "free time" and support each other by taking care of the baby while the other games or watches TV or sleeps or whatever.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #2 on: 23 Jun 2010, 17:00 »

1.make an alt,
2. train your spawn to mine tirelessly for you
3. ???
4. Profit!
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 23 Jun 2010, 21:16 »

So, having similar work hours (9+), a similar commute (45 to 1 hr either side), and a little one and don't forget time w/ significant other, I still routinely get in 1 to 3 hours of game time each night. 

Sometimes it is logging in, managing the "daily task" and then a convo with the other guys on at the time and being a forum whore.  Others it is spending 3 (maybe 4 hours) sacrificing a little sleep (you can sleep when your dead!) actually planning out something we are going to do in the weekend, a big project that will take a few nights to execute, etc.  Some nights it is grabbing 2 L4s and calling it good.

Other nights it is taking two hours to prep some non-eve game stuff.

Right now, since you probably have a new born, your schedule will be all over the place; the kid doesn't have an internal clock yet.  He'll get one!  And when you put him to bed at his bed time, spend an hour with the spouse doing something; you finally get to Eve as your pre-bed hobby time.

So, hope that helps.

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #4 on: 23 Jun 2010, 22:36 »

Paging Zu to this thread.

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Zuzanna Alondra

• Omelette
« Reply #5 on: 24 Jun 2010, 00:06 »

How do you find time for Eve... well... you learn to play one handed while holding the bottle in the other hand to start.

The realistic answer - you learn to cherish and get *alot* more done in an hour then you used to.  I actually do most my playing after baby goes to bed or in the early morning on days I don't have school.

The biggest thing I have going for me - is if I want to play so that I can talk with my friends, but baby is awake - drone boats are wonderful mission ships.  They give you more margin for error and time to warp off if need be when mission-ing.

For PvP - having friends from RP who are in the militia where you can pop into a channel with them and say, "Baby passed out - tag - get me in quick" is also nice.

Also... if you hold alot of responsibility in your corp - step down a bit.  I let my WoW raiding go altogether and passed it on to Sashlahara finally - as I did not have enough time to even dream of WoW and Eve once I got home from the hospital.

Saikoyu

• Omelette
« Reply #6 on: 24 Jun 2010, 16:43 »

Thanks all for the advice, I think it will help.

I guess it does all come down to scheduling and being able to walk away for a couple of minutes no matter what I am doing in EvE to take care of the baby. 

And drone boats sound good.  That Rattlesnake will be a good investment I think.

@orange:  He does have an internal clock, its just not matches with ours yet. 

@Nikita Alterana:  Well, first I have to wait until he stops trying to grab random stuff off the desk. 

Myrhial Arkenath

• Omelette
  • One does not simply walk into Curse.
    • Diary of a Pod Pilot
« Reply #7 on: 24 Jun 2010, 18:47 »

Not a parent here, but make sure the people you play with know about your "handicap" and are understanding about it. People who aren't, especially if they are total asses about it, tend to not be worth your time anyway.

CEO of Ghost Festival :: Executor of Naraka.
Diary of a Pod Pilot