Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That CCP financed the initial development of EVE Online by publishing a board game called Hættuspil ("Danger Game")?

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 20

Author Topic: State of the Eve RP 2014 - 2015  (Read 32863 times)

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
Re: State of the Eve RP 2014 - 2015
« Reply #90 on: 22 Jan 2015, 09:27 »

Ultimately, for all those people who are basically skipping around the issue and going "I hate that Pyre have Sansha Loyalists in their ranks and they are flying with the Amarr" can simply tell me to my face that they want me not to fly with people I enjoy flying with for the sake of my RP purity, and then I will laugh and laugh and laugh and keep flying with people whom I enjoy flying with.

Tyvm!

Yes, you should not fly with people you enjoy flying with if flying with them is a breach of RP purity. What is the point of roleplaying if people are't actually going to play the role they chose to play?

All that being said, frankly Pyre is not the worst offender. If it was just Pyre I wouldn't really care. It's all the other ones in 24IC that piss me off.
« Last Edit: 22 Jan 2015, 09:29 by Samira Kernher »

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #92 on: 22 Jan 2015, 09:29 »

Ultimately, for all those people who are basically skipping around the issue and going "I hate that Pyre have Sansha Loyalists in their ranks and they are flying with the Amarr" can simply tell me to my face that they want me not to fly with people I enjoy flying with for the sake of my RP purity, and then I will laugh and laugh and laugh and keep flying with people whom I enjoy flying with.

Tyvm!

Yes, you should not fly with people you enjoy flying with if flying with them is a breach of RP purity. What is the point of roleplaying if people are't actually going to play the role they chose to play?

All that being said, frankly Pyre is not the worst offender. If it was just Pyre I wouldn't really care. It's all the other ones in 24IC that piss me off.

I am now laughing because we did that for years.  Now we want to kick back, relax, fly with our OOC friends and it has everyone acting like a cat just got dropped in a blender and its the Worst Thing To Happen Ever.
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #93 on: 22 Jan 2015, 09:31 »

Let's start an initiative to get Pirates out of FW. I think it should be led by Miz and Samira since they've been the most vocal about it. Where should we start?

"Here, DeT Resprox forged a pact with the narcotic barons of the Blood Raider Covenant, they too had been locked in a struggle with the Amarrian Empire. Profits increased as drugs were pumped into the foul veins of Amarr under the supply of Draclira Merlonne..............and slowly............ a new form began to mould itself from the hatred placed upon the Amarrs offspring."

I'm still trying to figure out how you've gone from us redding (and if I get my will, wardeccing) a blooder corp in our militia to allying with them? They've been red to us since we first learned they were in FW, which is even before they contacted me for blue and we'll be eating standings losses to kill them until/if the dec hits.

The corp text there does need updating as it's simply not the case. The faction hates us and that weird two char corp has never had standings with TRIAD.

@Tiberious, that's of course entirely up to you but the point I've been trying to make is that it pretty much strips every single iota of weight from your RP as it just makes you mouthy pretenders hiding in FW instead of being actual Sansha. For my sake, it makes zero difference as my overview would show you guys exactly the same no matter what, but it is detrimental to faction RP overall to have it so diluted/polluted.

FW really did put a garrotte on loyalist RP and it's still slowly but surely tightening.

Ember Vykos

• Not so bitter bitter fucking vet...
  • Pod Captain
  • I bring nothing to the table.
« Reply #94 on: 22 Jan 2015, 09:32 »

Tyvm!

Out of curiosity who are the other ones? Pyre was the only one I know about.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Current active RP character(s) - Kairelle
Past RP characters - Ember Vykos, Simca Develon

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #95 on: 22 Jan 2015, 09:33 »

If you wanted to fly with your OOC friends, and this is not an option for the current character you are playing, then you make new characters to do it with.

"But RL friendships" will never get a pass from me as an excuse to break character. IC/OOC separation.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #96 on: 22 Jan 2015, 09:35 »

Tyvm!

Everyone on these killmails:

http://www.eve-kill.net/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=17950783
https://zkillboard.com/kill/37237863/
https://zkillboard.com/kill/42719933/

Anyanka Funk

« Reply #97 on: 22 Jan 2015, 09:36 »

Let's start an initiative to get Pirates out of FW. I think it should be led by Miz and Samira since they've been the most vocal about it. Where should we start?

"Here, DeT Resprox forged a pact with the narcotic barons of the Blood Raider Covenant, they too had been locked in a struggle with the Amarrian Empire. Profits increased as drugs were pumped into the foul veins of Amarr under the supply of Draclira Merlonne..............and slowly............ a new form began to mould itself from the hatred placed upon the Amarrs offspring."

I'm still trying to figure out how you've gone from us redding (and if I get my will, wardeccing) a blooder corp in our militia to allying with them? They've been red to us since we first learned they were in FW, which is even before they contacted me for blue and we'll be eating standings losses to kill them until/if the dec hits.

The corp text there does need updating as it's simply not the case. The faction hates us and that weird two char corp has never had standings with TRIAD.

@Tiberious, that's of course entirely up to you but the point I've been trying to make is that it pretty much strips every single iota of weight from your RP as it just makes you mouthy pretenders hiding in FW instead of being actual Sansha. For my sake, it makes zero difference as my overview would show you guys exactly the same no matter what, but it is detrimental to faction RP overall to have it so diluted/polluted.

FW really did put a garrotte on loyalist RP and it's still slowly but surely tightening.

Blood Raider Covenant is actually neutral to the Republic and Federation.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #98 on: 22 Jan 2015, 09:38 »

They're disliking TRIAD/UK quite a bit.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #99 on: 22 Jan 2015, 09:42 »

Silas summed it up pretty well. Before TEA was a completely different world. Shittier gameplay with a lot less polish and much more imbalance, but otherwise, there was no FW, and no TEA lore yet.

Would also love to see empires vs piwates.

Eves RP community seems to be increasingly shrinking and thus being unable to adequately cater to everyones styles and areas of interest, which inherently self-reinforces and results in further shrinking. People who like to take things very seriously are having to play with people who have a sillier style because there's no one else, people who like x faction are having to play with y faction because there's no else, people who like a certain faction are having to compromise either their roleplay or engage in gameplay they don't enjoy because there are simply no other options, etc.

It's a spiral I've seen in tons of MMOs in the later days of their life cycles, (it's probably slower in eve because of the one server thing) and it always ends in the eventual final death of organized roleplay in that community - It's almost impossible to recover from. The reason, frankly, is that there are simply better games to roleplay in every sense except sandbox appeal, so that's where new roleplayers go.

I wouldn't say this is a terrible thing, though. Everyone needs to move on to new stuff eventually, and 11+ years is a pretty darn good run. And of course, it won't run out of steam completely for a good long while yet.

I would really love to find other nice MMOs to roleplay in but I don't.  :(

Anyanka Funk

« Reply #100 on: 22 Jan 2015, 09:44 »

Judge Anskek for new forum mod please.
« Last Edit: 22 Jan 2015, 10:28 by Anyanka Funk »

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #101 on: 22 Jan 2015, 10:00 »

In defense of the TSF folks,

Pirates have (perhaps unfairly) -always- had more RP leeway to fly with who they want.  They tend to have a much looser / malleable set of practical values. 

IE it's more insulting sometimes for the Amarr to fly with the Sansha than for the Sansha to fly with the Amarr.

The ones with the higher sense of faction morals are the ones who get embarrassed.

It doesn't mean that it's not a completely fucked up system that would allow blooders and Sansha to enlist in the 24th IMPERIAL CRUSADE for crying out loud.  That's basically game breaking for me.   

The Empire burns those sorts of people on stakes with laser fire, they don't invite them into their military and give them strategic goals.  At least some of the empires have entirely too high a set of standards to publicly ally themselves with such characters. 

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
« Reply #102 on: 22 Jan 2015, 10:12 »

Meh if I bring Simca back as say....a Blood Raider. Her motivation to enter FW would probably be along the lines of her having an easy way to harvest people.

You and everyone else in 24IC these days. With one easy sentence you've answered your own question about what the big deal is.

I joined FW to fight for and beside Amarr, not blood raiders.

The nature of a sandbox is that people do what benefits them most. And it's an open secret that the FW-environment is open to all kinds of people, that you easily can join Amarr FW, even if you are a blood raider, that it is lucrative to do so, that you even drive the loyalists away by doing so etc. In short: Joining the Amarr FW as blood raider makes absolute sense, because you can. EVE has always been about accepting the consequences of your actions: But where no real consequences are, there are none you have to accept.

So, rather than trying to push non-existant consequences on those who 'ruin FW by joining factions that would never let them in, but do let them in', maybe the loyalists should accept that if they want to join the CONCORD enforced proxy-wars between the Empires, they will end up flying alongside the (IC) scum of the cluster?

Isn't it harsh to demand from those playing the types - as Silas kind'a points out - that happily mis- and abuse the systems that be, that they don't ab- and misuse the systems?
I agree with those voices that think it's more reasonable to blame the system that allows for such abuse. Sure, CCP probably won't do much about it. But why should the players take over that responsibility from CCP, simply because CCP doesn't act?

Samira, you cited two articles to show that nowadays the Empire doesn't interfere in how Holders deal with slaves: There are a lot of more cases to cite, that the Empire doesn't mind working with Bloodraiders, Sansha and other kind of such people, that they rather reward them for shooting Matari and afford them official titles within the 24th Crusade. factually, given how it works in game, the Empire does not burn those sorts of people on stakes with laser fire, they do invite them into their military and give them strategic goals. - At least if one takes the FW institutions seriously as institutions of the Empires.

These are the kind of things why I take everything produced, PF-wise, by CCP employees cum grano salis. And it's big grains, indeed.

Anyhow:
If you can't do what you want in FW, but have to do what you don't want in FW, then there is, imho, an easy solution:
Walk away from FW. It's not like PIE didn't prosper before FW. And it did so in fighting along Amarr against the enemies of Amarr. It's pretty much feasible. Ofc. I dunno what PIE's stance is in this regard and how comitted they are to FW.
« Last Edit: 22 Jan 2015, 10:18 by Nicoletta Mithra »

Ember Vykos

• Pod Captain
« Reply #103 on: 22 Jan 2015, 10:13 »

If you wanted to fly with your OOC friends, and this is not an option for the current character you are playing, then you make new characters to do it with.

"But RL friendships" will never get a pass from me as an excuse to break character. IC/OOC separation.
Umm....no. No one would sacrifice years of training and character investment so someone else could feel better about rp purity when that person can't accept valid and logical reasons for their character doing what they're doing.

That's literally pants on head...

tapaderped

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Ember Vykos

• Pod Captain
« Reply #104 on: 22 Jan 2015, 10:19 »

Tyvm!

Everyone on these killmails:

http://www.eve-kill.net/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=17950783
https://zkillboard.com/kill/37237863/
https://zkillboard.com/kill/42719933/
The only group I've ever heard of and taken seriously in Rp anything is Imperial Outlaws.

The rest just look like your typical FW corps. Or is that what you were talking about?

tapaderped
« Last Edit: 22 Jan 2015, 10:23 by Ember Vykos »
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 20