Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Faster than Light Communication is regulated by CONCORD? Read more here.

Author Topic: Mannar are Hispanic (I think)  (Read 2592 times)

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
Mannar are Hispanic (I think)
« on: 09 Jun 2010, 19:26 »

So like...

City of Raspa. La Raspa is a dance originating from Mexico. Raspar is also Spanish for "scrape", a raspa being some sort of cone-based confectionery.

Matias Freier...Matias being Spanish form of "Matthew"...Freieir is actually Hebrew...hm

Who the hell knows...

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
Re: Mannar are Hispanic (I think)
« Reply #1 on: 09 Jun 2010, 19:44 »

Nobody "is" something in EVE: the Gallente aren't French, the Achurans aren't Japanese, the Sebiestor aren't Norse, etc.

Some elements may survive, sure, but I don't believe the lines are that straight. Also, "Mateo" is Spanish for "Matthew".

Yoshito Sanders

• Egger
« Reply #2 on: 09 Jun 2010, 22:10 »

I think you may be reading too much into an old posting by a Mercury member. After all, the main character of that arc (Midna) is clearly named after the Legend of Zelda character.

Svetlana Scarlet

• Omelette
« Reply #3 on: 10 Jun 2010, 13:14 »

It's worth noting that less than 2000 years ago, Spanish, Italian, and French were all Latin dialects.  In 20000 years -- at least 8000 of which involve a period of extreme isolation -- "French" is probably not going to sound anything like it does now (assuming it exists).   Trying to derive ethnic origins from what words sound like is probably a stretch at best.

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain
« Reply #4 on: 10 Jun 2010, 15:26 »

I would really like to see the Mannar as hispanic/mexicans or some sort of latin-american typical culture.

Almost all southern america is a mix of indignenous inhabitants mixed with african and spanish cultures. Given that context, the Mannar could be the underdogs in space development (a good explanation as to why it is still low-sec), but a rich, colorful and delightful society centered around celebrations and enjoyment of life.

The Gallente arriving at Mannar system would find this "turist" spot, a great discovery, and at the same time an interesting society to eventually assimilate.

Vieve

« Reply #5 on: 10 Jun 2010, 17:45 »

I would really like to see the Mannar as hispanic/mexicans or some sort of latin-american typical culture.

Me too, mostly because we don't have it in EvE, and it wouldn't be that difficult to shoehorn in as a background -- and uh, I've done a lot of iceberg work for stories based on that supposition (the collaborative bits I'm handling for Rei's Sansha's Cluster story feature a Mannar character), but never mind that!

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #6 on: 10 Jun 2010, 18:43 »

Leaving aside for the moment the fact that "Hispanic culture" does not actually exist, how would a "Latin-American typical culture" look in EVE terms?

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #7 on: 11 Jun 2010, 04:20 »

Saying "No EVE bloodlines are based on RL ethnicities" makes it incredibly difficult to be able to garner what the secondary bloodlines might be like in terms of appearance, culture and what have you. No need to be PC; it's a video game.

Thus, saying Mannar are potentially of a Hispanic/Latino disposition gives us the framework to be able to build them up in terms of player-created fiction, and be able to use them in our own creative works. Without that presumption, there is hardly anything to work on when creating Mannar settings or characters.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #8 on: 11 Jun 2010, 07:12 »

It's not a question of being "politically correct" (another incredibly misused term IMO :) ). It's a question of avoiding simple and inaccurate stereotypes. In this case, I'm not concerned with the avoidance of offending people due to being rude and crass about their gender or ethnic, racial, or religious background -- that's what "politically incorrect" means, right? Instead, I refer to the fact that the simplistic framework some people have established for "known" bloodlines doesn't match up with the literary reality. So why should that approach work for others? Why not come up with something more interesting that uses varying elements to create a cohesive and fascinating whole?

Vieve

« Reply #9 on: 11 Jun 2010, 11:49 »

It's not a question of being "politically correct" (another incredibly misused term IMO :) ). It's a question of avoiding simple and inaccurate stereotypes. In this case, I'm not concerned with the avoidance of offending people due to being rude and crass about their gender or ethnic, racial, or religious background -- that's what "politically incorrect" means, right? Instead, I refer to the fact that the simplistic framework some people have established for "known" bloodlines doesn't match up with the literary reality. So why should that approach work for others? Why not come up with something more interesting that uses varying elements to create a cohesive and fascinating whole?

When tinkering with Mannar stuff, I've lifted elements of Candomblé, punched those up with some Marian Cultist-flava1 and went a little crazy with a whole macho public cultural face vs. matriarchial private cultural face trope (with a far earthier spin than what we see among the Serpentis in Winter Came While You Were Away).  I think I might have tossed in some potlatch and cargo cult culture into the pot, too, but I'm not looking at my notes right now.

1Since we don't know where these guys came from and what they've been up to since the Eve Gate went boom: I didn't find it unreasonable to argue that they'd been exposed to the same "Catholic-esque" ideas that'd influenced the Amarr.  Their home system's not that far from the modern-day Empire.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #10 on: 11 Jun 2010, 13:13 »

Oh yeah, cargo cults really need a little punching up in EVE.

Vieve

« Reply #11 on: 11 Jun 2010, 13:36 »

Oh yeah, cargo cults really need a little punching up in EVE.

Yeah, with all of EvE's salvagers and archeological site looters out there, I imagine it'd be real easy to justify punching up cargo cultists.