Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the war between Electus Matari and PIE Inc started when -EM- pilots destroyed a slaver vessel in The Bleak Lands?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Come to think of it, why _is_ the IGS so weird?  (Read 14194 times)

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
Re: Come to think of it, why _is_ the IGS so weird?
« Reply #15 on: 24 Dec 2014, 07:38 »

Basically everything Samira said. The alternative is a dreadfully boring mishmash of IC, OOC and terrible meta. The Fiction forum is where you can go do the collaborative fiction stuff, which is what that kind of thing is.

IGS is a forum for capsuleers to communicate. Simple as.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #16 on: 24 Dec 2014, 07:42 »

Not really, because the Fiction Forum is also dedicated to another completely different role, which is pure OOC comment about chronicles, lore, or questions about the lore.

Collaborative storytelling is not OOC mish mashed with IC. Collaborative storytelling is another breed altogether. It's RP, but it's what I would call IN (In Narrator) if you will. It's another layer put above the IC layer, it's a story frame.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #17 on: 24 Dec 2014, 07:45 »

Which does not belong on the IGS. That leaves the Fiction forum for it.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #18 on: 24 Dec 2014, 07:46 »

Imo it doesn't belong in either of those forums. And certainly not more in the Fiction forum than on the IGS.

Gwen Ikiryo

• Omelette
« Reply #19 on: 24 Dec 2014, 07:49 »

Basically everything Samira said. The alternative is a dreadfully boring mishmash of IC, OOC and terrible meta. The Fiction forum is where you can go do the collaborative fiction stuff, which is what that kind of thing is.

IGS is a forum for capsuleers to communicate. Simple as.

All of this is just your opinion, though. Lots of people love that sort of roleplay - Evidently the majority of roleplayers in online games, as I tried to illustrate in the OP - And there's literally nothing official that says the IGS is exclusively what you're saying it is. It's just something a bunch of players have decided amongst themselves.
« Last Edit: 24 Dec 2014, 07:52 by Gwen Ikiryo »

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #20 on: 24 Dec 2014, 08:21 »

What would probably happen is that someone would report the thread just because it is different to everything they've ever seen there, and it would be moved afterward.

CCP tends not to go anywhere near the IGS unless that happens - I don't think they really look in there proactively.

As for why the Dust IGS is different... well, you get shot in the head a few hundred (or thousand) times and see how sane you are. :P
« Last Edit: 24 Dec 2014, 08:24 by Morwen Lagann »
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #21 on: 24 Dec 2014, 08:23 »

It certainly is immersion, because it's ridiculously immersionbreaking to suddenly have an IC forum for posts by characters become dual purpose mish mash of IC, OOC and weird hybrids. It's not what the IGS is and not what it should be. Get a new forum for it or use the Fiction forum. Hell, use the Dust forum if it already works the way you want it to.

Gwen Ikiryo

• Omelette
« Reply #22 on: 24 Dec 2014, 08:32 »

Well, like I said earlier, it's about precedents, isn't it? I'll ask around and try and see if I find any people who would be concretely interested in participating in such a thing, then make a thread of that vein if I do and see if CCP still moves it despite me sticking an [Open Roleplay] tag on the title. Then if they do, I'll accept it and ask them (or by definition know) where it's better to put that stuff, and if not, maybe it'll be good for the IGS and Eve roleplay in general to branch out a little.

I dunno why you guys seem so serious about this. It's just a dumb roleplay forum, right?
« Last Edit: 24 Dec 2014, 08:46 by Gwen Ikiryo »

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #23 on: 24 Dec 2014, 08:41 »

Well, it'd be another step in making the IGS even more shit than it already is, so go knock yourself out. It'd push for a new and better forum even more.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #24 on: 24 Dec 2014, 09:15 »

As for gwen, I fear that you might be threading on people's special little private garden and beware the collective wrath if you ever dare trying to introduce new things there.

Well, that's maybe not how you see it folks, but that sure is how it is starting to sound to me. Those answers are so aggressive that I wonder what really is at stake here.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #25 on: 24 Dec 2014, 09:17 »

As I said, there is no reason why the fiction forum is not fitting.

Every single other Roleplay forum in other MMOs acts in a similarly double role as an OOC discussion medium of RP and lore along with play-by-post threads. The argument that it doesn't work because it functions primarily as OOC discussion fails when most other MMO roleplay forums do exactly that. SWG's Roleplay forum was primarily OOC discussion topics with the occasional [Open Roleplay] collaborative story. Same thing with WoW's Roleplay forum. EVE Fiction functions in that same capacity in every way except that it doesn't include 'Roleplaying' in the name.

There is literally no reason why the EVE Fiction forum cannot function in that capacity for those that wish it, and those kinds of stories would belong there much more than on the IGS.

The IGS is an in-character message board. When you are staring at the post screen, it is your character staring at it. When you are typing a message, it is your character typing that message. The IGS is better for this and it would be immersion breaking to include the stuff being mentioned here.

The player behind the character has no place on the IGS.
« Last Edit: 24 Dec 2014, 09:19 by Samira Kernher »

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #26 on: 24 Dec 2014, 09:18 »

Again, everything Samira said.

Gwen Ikiryo

• Omelette
« Reply #27 on: 24 Dec 2014, 09:21 »

Well, how about this, then: I'll post the same thread on both the IGS and Eve Fiction, and see which one is killed. After all, like I keep saying, there's nothing concrete about the IGS being strictly an in-universe forum. By doing this, it'll force them to make a judgement as to if it is or if it is not, and where these things belong by extension.

Because right now, it is vague.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #28 on: 24 Dec 2014, 09:24 »

As I said, there is no reason why the fiction forum is not fitting.

Every single other Roleplay forum in other MMOs acts in a similarly double role as an OOC discussion medium of RP and lore along with play-by-post threads. The argument that it doesn't work because it functions primarily as OOC discussion fails when most other MMO roleplay forums do exactly that. SWG's Roleplay forum was primarily OOC discussion topics with the occasional [Open Roleplay] collaborative story. Same thing with WoW's Roleplay forum. EVE Fiction functions in that same capacity in every way except that it doesn't include 'Roleplaying' in the name.

There is literally no reason why the EVE Fiction forum cannot function in that capacity for those that wish it, and those kinds of stories would belong there much more than on the IGS.

Well, they might work that way, but to me it sounds completely ludicrous. It would be like putting together the OOC off topic forum here and the OOC eve general discussion together, as I explained above.

The player behind the character has no place on the IGS.

On that, I agree, if that's the will behind that particular forum. I still think there should be a third one where one doesn't have to congregate lore pure OOC non RP discussion with RP storytelling.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #29 on: 24 Dec 2014, 09:33 »

Well, how about this, then: I'll post the same thread on both the IGS and Eve Fiction, and see which one is killed. After all, like I keep saying, there's nothing concrete about the IGS being strictly an in-universe forum. By doing this, it'll force them to make a judgement as to if it is or if it is not, and where these things belong by extension.

Because right now, it is vague.

Except that, according to Esna, this was already done when the game first started, and it ended with the current convention: An in-character, in-universe message board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8