Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Blood Raiders have grandmothers? (The Burning Life)

Author Topic: Interstellar  (Read 823 times)

Quintrala

• Speed Fairy
  • Wetgraver
  • Summer is coming
    • Speed Fairy Blog
Interstellar
« on: 14 Nov 2014, 18:57 »

Beset by environmental disasters and desperate to survive, mankind finds a wormhole leading to unknown parts of the universe. Scout missions are sent through to find inhabitable worlds, to be eventually followed by colony ships to settle and develop them.

On the Earth side of the wormhole, this is called Interstellar.

But on our side, we call it EVE Online.

;)

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
Re: Interstellar
« Reply #1 on: 15 Nov 2014, 22:11 »

In Eve Online we had terraforming, or at least partial terraforming. We are much better off than them.
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Dessau

« Reply #2 on: 17 Nov 2014, 10:03 »

After reading the story behind Kip Thorne's involvement, I've decided I have to see this on IMAX, no matter how maudlin or porous the screenplay may be.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #3 on: 11 Dec 2014, 13:03 »

I disliked the whole thing, but your mileage may vary.

I enjoyed the first half, but this movie suffers from a severe case of professional, intelligent, highly qualified people acting like 4 year olds and getting people killed.

I understand you have to break some of a movie's internal logic to create drama and interesting plots, but sometimes I just can't get past some of the more glaring things.

A small example.  Today, in 2014, we have the ability to remote control complicated machinery.  There was an awful lot of situations in that movie where they were either all traveling through danger, to or away from danger, in order to put a physical person inside a thing to push buttons, when it could be done remotely.

Also smart robots with high-end language processing skills, super.  Go fly the shuttle for me and see if the beacon is manned or not.  Or hey, let's shoot a little probe with a camera, and maybe not fly down there with all of our crew.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #4 on: 11 Dec 2014, 13:18 »

I really liked the movie overall, and i'm usually not very fond of Nolan... Well I think Nolan is probably the best currently you can get behind hollywood blockbusters, and by far, but I did not really like Batman for example, and loathed half of Inception.

So, I think what Interstellar nailed right is most of all, the atmosphere, it's gloom, dark, and I felt rather oppressed from the beginning to the end. Even Zimmer did a good job instead of his usual vuvuzela harmonics. Not saying it's an original score worth of praises and accolades, but it actually fits and enforces the atmosphere and the oppression. The whole movie probably itself gets its inspiration in 2001.

It also touches many interesting scientific subjects, and the gripe I have is that it does not really get into details about them, just leaving references, but references about things that the audience MUST understand to follow the movie. It's half between hard science and fantasy, and it doesn't focus on explaining. I could understand it if it was a total hard science movie, but here it's definitely not. I know many people that are not into science and SciFi like I am that didn't understand much of the movie to actually appreciate it. They already had a hard time grasping the concept of time relativity, which is probably the only scientific concept that is scratched enough to be explained at least a little.

But when they start to talk about 4th or 5th dimensions and tesseracts, just mentioning it like that once, well you bet that most people were like "wtfisthis?"

Also, like Silas, some weird irrational stuff, for sure, but the thing that irritated me to no end was their plan to drop the robot inside the black hole event horizon, playing on some kind of speed effect or some nonsense to hope see it get out just after ? Lol wtf ? Isn't the very definition of an event horizon that NOTHING gets back past that point ?

So, all in all, I do think that unlike 2001 (which is a masterpiece hard to approach, true), the movie more or less fails to tackle a clear and interesting theme and message, except maybe the sense of impending doom/apocalypse that takes you to the guts from the beginning to the end, doesn't raise a lot of questioning, but artistically however, it's great. Overall, I think it is a very good movie.
« Last Edit: 11 Dec 2014, 13:20 by Lyn Farel »

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #5 on: 14 Dec 2014, 21:41 »

I saw it. I liked it. Spoilers below.

[spoiler]I'm not sure how I am supposed to swallow the concept of a fifth-dimensional being in the context of the movie. The closest interpretation is that the fifth dimension is basically the concept of "different timelines", or simply - Possibility. If a Timeline is a measurement of the fourth dimension, Time, then Possibility is another Timeline existing in a higher dimension than time itself. So you have Length/Width/Height, Time, and Possibility.

I'm actually starting to think there aren't any 'beings' at all... just a side effect or manifestation of the process of time travel. How that is pulled off though by falling into a black hole? Well, I guess that's the fiction part of the science-fiction.[/spoiler]