Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That being a cruel slaver is actually a fitting description for Angel Cartel members as well?

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: [Characters] Corpii Cruor Crew  (Read 4870 times)

Anyanka Funk

Re: [Characters] Corpii Cruor Crew
« Reply #15 on: 20 Oct 2014, 16:31 »

Lithium Flower!  :cube: :cube: :cube:

Twelve people is actually the max for the Cruor given it's size. Let me explain. We can use several variables to get actual size of ship and space inside.

First, here is a what an actual size Cruor would look like compared to a capsuleer (Cruor at 61 meters in length).

Using https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Frigates_(lore)#Design as a guideline for how many rooms we should have, the Cruor would optimally have ten rooms. Divided into two floors that can connect via stairs and/or elevator. We see two sets of "windows" on the Cruor, in the midship and at the front of the ship. On the upper-deck, mid ship windows would be the cockpit room with two cabins in front of it and one cabin and the "combined engineering and gunnery section" behind it. A single hall can connect these five rooms to elevator/stairs  leading to the lower-deck. The lower-deck, front windows would be the viewing/dining hall with the same layout. Two cabins behind and one cabin and the "medical research facility" in front of it. A single hall can connect the lower five rooms to the elevator/stairs.

If all the rooms are the same m3 as the cargo hold, that would still only take up less than fifty percent of the ship. Leaving the rest of the ship to be the actual ship parts. With six cabins, there can be twelve total crew. Our quartermasters have their own room in this case with everyone else sharing a room. Quartermasters work in the cockpit and engineers work in the engineering room, both upstairs with their quarters. Everyone else stays downstairs and they can all gather in the viewing/dining hall for sermons and to eat or lounge.

« Last Edit: 20 Oct 2014, 17:49 by Anyanka Funk »

Jikahr

• Egger
  • Grumpy Cat Amarr
« Reply #16 on: 20 Oct 2014, 19:05 »

Is that a Sketch-up drawing of your ship?

Very impressive!

From what I understand, a Rifter is the size of a Jumbo jet. If that is true, then the Cruror is a small ship indeed!
Currently training Verbosity to level V.

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #17 on: 20 Oct 2014, 19:16 »

Also, why would tech II even need more crew? It's just a more soaped up version of a tech I. If anything, the better tech invested into a tech II module should make it more reliable, it should need less attention from the crew members.

Why would you even need crew tending to all those modules when machinery could do the work? You just need a handful of engineers to make sure nothing breaks if you expect to be out long in that frigate, where a dry dock is not going to always be available.
« Last Edit: 20 Oct 2014, 19:20 by Elmund Egivand »
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Anyanka Funk

« Reply #18 on: 20 Oct 2014, 19:32 »

Very impressive!

From what I understand, a Rifter is the size of a Jumbo jet. If that is true, then the Cruror is a small ship indeed!

Rifter is the length of a jumbo jet, yes. Twice the length of a Cruor. Yet, the rifter has less total m3 making the inside close to the same as a Cruor.

That is the Cruor model imported from the client files into sketchup using triexporter.exe and resized to scale. Thinking about modelling the inside to get a better idea of the  space available. Might do that later.   :ugh:
« Last Edit: 20 Oct 2014, 19:34 by Anyanka Funk »

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #19 on: 20 Oct 2014, 19:39 »

Very impressive!

Rifter is the length of a jumbo jet, yes. Twice the length of a Cruor. Yet, the rifter has less total m3 making the inside close to the same as a Cruor.

That is the Cruor model imported from the client files into sketchup using triexporter.exe and resized to scale. Thinking about modelling the inside to get a better idea of the  space available. Might do that later.   :ugh:

All the living space is cramped in that tiny portion where the guns and the engines are, so yes, it's actually considerably smaller. A non-capsuleer Rifter would be cramped and much less sanitary than, say, a Punisher.
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Jandice Ymladris

• Collector of Civilians!
  • Wetgraver
    • Aurora Arcology News
« Reply #20 on: 22 Oct 2014, 02:29 »

Great analysis you made about the Cruor. From what others mentioned, it seems that while the Cruor is smaller in size then most, it does seem to use it's size more efficiently.
Looking forward to where the story will lead towards!

Concerning the earlier talk about advanced ships needing more crew, it feels a bit odd, as advancements usually cut crew. The crew guidelines also include non-capsueler ships, who need considerably more personnel (especially bridge crew). The T2 on the other hand are specially designed for capsuleers, requiring even less crew (so I'd imagine a tech 2 frig can go by with just the capsuleer)
So crew numbers would be: High (standard ship) > average (capsuleer ship) > minimal (tech 2 ship variant)
Don't know where tech 3 ships would belong, because while they are more advanced, they are also experimental, so might need more crew.

Anyanka Funk

« Reply #21 on: 05 Nov 2014, 02:57 »

Ship is too small for ten people and a pod gantry. Cut four more people. Still satisfied with crew so far. Maybe they will even undock someday. :)

Also cut work shIfts. With only six people everyone can be awake for the same hours.

Edit: Just going to use tranquility except for virtuality simulations.
« Last Edit: 05 Nov 2014, 04:11 by Anyanka Funk »

Karmilla Strife

• Omelette
« Reply #22 on: 05 Nov 2014, 07:05 »

I think this is a pretty nifty idea. I've thought up backstory for hypothetical crew members before, but never on this scale. I think a Blood Raider ship is likely to have a large crew complement for it's size. Their goal being to board enemy ships and overpower the crew and passengers.

I'm interested to see where this goes. Definitely some short story material here.

Anyanka Funk

« Reply #23 on: 05 Nov 2014, 13:48 »

That is what I thought too! There was originally thirty crew members for this ship but after receiving some advice and looking up exact measurements I found out that the Cruor is a very small vessel. It's only about two hundred feet long (that would be about the length or just over that your character walks in their captain's quarters from the pod gantry to the couch)! Then after making some three dimensional scale models of the Cruor and modeling the interior a bit, I found even with ten people, it is still very cramped. Yes, ten people could fit. But they would be sleeping and working on top of each other. Now instead of trying to squeeze ten people into six small cabins, I can easily fit six people into three small cabins.

And yeah, I'm giving Anyanka's crew members this scale of a backstory so I can write some lore about the Hematology Advancement Program from their perspectives. Anya is a bit of a mute. Writing from baseliner POV is more realistic in my opinion too, since I'm a baseliner in real life!
« Last Edit: 05 Nov 2014, 19:51 by Anyanka Funk »

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
« Reply #24 on: 05 Nov 2014, 23:03 »

This is great work, I like it!
Pages: 1 [2]