Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That greasy, deep-fried Caldari takeout food is eaten with tongs and remains popular in the Federation?  (The Burning Life pp 40,41)

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Starting Over OOCly  (Read 9585 times)

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
Re: Starting Over OOCly
« Reply #15 on: 01 Oct 2014, 15:40 »

OH!  I see.  That sounds... difficult and draining.  I don't know that I could have maintained two characters completely distinct and separate from that actual me for any decent length of time.

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #16 on: 01 Oct 2014, 15:49 »

Draining is a good way to describe it. It also tends to lead to a weird form of arrogant silence a lot of the time.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #17 on: 01 Oct 2014, 15:49 »

... unpopular opinion time. Don't be you. Don't. For a plethora of reasons.

This is the internet and "being yourself" means exposing yourself. There's no real way around it. You'll showcase yourself within the limitations of the medium, and someone out there will not only be able to find a chink in the armor we wear and they'll ram a wedge in it for a whole series of reasons from "because I can", "it'll be funny" through more innocuous reasons but with the same result. You'll be vulnerable if you're you. In real life, fine. At least you can face anyone who takes advantage of it. On the internet that is not the case. There's no real repercussion, there's no real way of fixing the problem.

I've been "me" on the internet, and in Eve. It was the dumbest fucking thing I could ever have done and I spent a lot of time rebuilding what was torn down. Let the quite real boogeymen of the internet carve up any persona you construct for this reason and you can watch with a certain level of detachment. It's what these personas are for.

Build the persona based on yourself obviously. Let the lines blur, because achieving anything else would for all intents and purposes require significant mental illness, but maintain a few degrees of separation. The person you are in a chat channel should not be you, especially when you're starting to get closer to people.

I'm pretty sure most people will disagree, but I'm never going to venture out into any community again without a detached "decoy" being my protection. Failing to do that did more damage to me than anything I've ever experienced in real life and that's speaking as both a veteran with foreign service under my belt, and the better part of a decade spent as a paramedic.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #18 on: 01 Oct 2014, 15:53 »

Sure, I can understand that, Miz. I had issues in another game of someone trying to stalk me and that sort of thing, so I can understand that aspect. That is part of the reason I have done it the way I have, but I took it a bit too far I think. There were virtually no blurred lines, nothing of that sort. It made the detachment a little too strong, too permanent.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #19 on: 01 Oct 2014, 19:50 »

Amarr and Caldari are bad guy factions

u wot mate  :s
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #20 on: 01 Oct 2014, 20:10 »

Theocracy and Fascism Unite!

*Lone Ranger Theme*

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #21 on: 01 Oct 2014, 22:21 »

Is true!

While outside the topic of this thread, of the four factions (while all four have "dark sides" and "shades of grey"), Amarr and Caldari are the two most overtly 'bad'.  Amarr for their pro-slavery theocracy, Caldari for their 'motherfuck the individual and all his rights, State Above ALL' attitude.  Whereas Min/Gal are all like "Freedom!  Democracy!  Cake!"  We've been involved long enough and care enough about the little nooks and crannies of the PF to know the cake is a lie and they're both bad, too, beneath the veneer... but yeah, they're the good guy factions, ur in bad guy club so ur bad and u shuld feel bad, k?

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #22 on: 01 Oct 2014, 22:26 »

Bah, individualism is overrated.

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #23 on: 01 Oct 2014, 22:33 »

2deep4me.

*Goes back to shooting at things wildly with autocannons and missiles*
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Jikahr

• Egger
  • Grumpy Cat Amarr
« Reply #24 on: 02 Oct 2014, 05:13 »

Amarr, Caldari, Gallente, Minmatar...it hardly matters. All factions have their own religions.

Jace could choose to have a religious revelation and join the Disciples of Ston, or even the Blood Raiders if he wanted.

Your character could turn on a dime, and it wouldn't be inconsistency, it would be character growth and development.

How many characters have started out as the 'bad guy', only to turn out to be the 'good guy' in the end? That is what is referred to as the 'changeling' in the heroic cycle of Joseph Campbell's 'Monomyth'. Lando Calrissian is an example of such a character.

Consider what Jace the character might be missing in his own life. You expressed interest in the Amarr before. Is it the story line? The religion? I can certainly see how the Caldari state could be narrow and constricting, and how the Amarrian religion might offer a kind of escape, or hope.

I have been reading a bit about the Khanid, who are very tight with the Caldari. There are a few Caldari that have settled in Khanid space, and are referred to by the locals as 'Khaldari'.

Odelya has said she is kind of lonely on the Tetrimon front. The cult of Tetrimon are plenty fanatical and bloodthirsty. Have you thought about a religious conversion? If not for religious reasons, have you considered their financial transactions?
« Last Edit: 02 Oct 2014, 05:18 by Jikahr »
Currently training Verbosity to level V.

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #25 on: 02 Oct 2014, 06:54 »

Or why not just say 'Fuck it!' and go play a space cowboy?
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain
« Reply #26 on: 03 Oct 2014, 13:19 »

I never noticed you being toxic.  Maybe we haven't interacted enough.

Charles Cambridge Schmidt

• Professional Sperg
  • Wetgraver
  • Federalista
« Reply #27 on: 04 Oct 2014, 21:46 »

Anyone ever get the impulse to start over OOCly? Many have had it with characters - get tired of their faction, direction of their arcs, whatever. But do you ever get it for the game as a whole? Get tired of knowing certain people, want to meet new people, live in peace? [insert cliché about being yourself here]

Just a thought.

I've thought about it once or twice, but the thing that really pushes me away from it is

...the period of knowing no one and having to interact with complete strangers...

Besides, I've only just started. People would be lost without their little Gallente Prettyboy telling shitty puns and winning hearts.
Drones are pretty cool, I guess.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #28 on: 05 Oct 2014, 08:27 »

Just a random update on the original topic. After a lot of thinking, pondering, rereading of my old fiction, going through all of my accounts and looking at characters, creating some new character concepts, I realized there is really only one thing I have never done - taken my Minnie characters for a real ride and explored that faction. So I think that will be my solution for the time being - going to put Jace on ice once a few skills are completed, bring my Minnie out of mothballs and go that route. And also try to learn some of the aspects of EVE that I have never bothered to over the past seven years because I was too busy trading/hauling. The character itself is set perfectly for a dramatic change in his own story that will allow me to bring him back.

I'm excited.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #29 on: 05 Oct 2014, 08:35 »

My isk is on him being Angel within a month. Two at the most.

Pages: 1 [2] 3