Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

the 25ers resurfaced in YC106 to protest the monopoly then held by the empires on deadspace warp beacon technology.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Do you like faction ships and Eve History? Read this thread.  (Read 3391 times)

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer

In the stickies above this thread in OOC Summit, you may see this thread: Faction/Sub-Faction Discussions List

The idea, originally, was to create a list of general threads about each faction and subfaction, the threads themselves to ideally contain some useful links to PF and even more specialized discussion in their op.

An example of a faction discussion thread: Caldari State

And example of a sub-faction discussion thread: Lai Dai

Once we had a list like that, they could be places for really general discussion of the faction or sub-faction, and if you posted a thread discussing a more specific item related to the faction (or if the general discussion took a turn for the specific that was split off into its own thread) you could link it in a reply to the appropriate faction thread (so people interested in that faction would see the new post, and thus check out your thread, even if they are reading through after your new thread is inactive for a while) and if it is particularly useful the mods or OP could even edit it in with the links at the start.

It's possible this whole idea is too complicated, or not useful enough, to implement. Among other things it would require people to voluntarily format new threads along certain general lines, dig up the links to PF, etc. I like it though because even though much of he information is on the wiki, for a lot of the sub-factions the more obscure bits that were in news items etc aren't. Nor player events or live events players participated in. Also, wikis are great but a simple list format for useful articles on the wiki seems great too.

I think this could be be useful both as a handy one-stop-shop for players looking for that one thing they think the saw taht time in 2007 and also for new players who want to get a primer on their chosen faction - or their chosen faction's enemies.

You can see I started to do it for the Caldari State and for several of the megacorps. Unfortunately, I didn't have to time to keep going through and digging the stuff up, and when I came back to try and keep going sometime later, something terrible had happened!: CCP changed their website and all of the meticulously unearthed news bits had vanished from their links.

So, here's the deal: My time, never plentiful, is even more limited now than it was when I was trying this the first go-round. So I don't have the time to dig up the links etc - at least not in a very reasonable length of time. I'm also not sure whether or not the old news items can be found. (There are also some links to threads on the old official forums, mostly related to live events, IIRC. They would need to be updated, and would also be useful for any new factions added. Those should be simple enough to find with eve-search. I suppose similar threads from the current official forums might be handy too.)

So: First person who knows how to dig up news items and posts a simple guide that I can copy/paste into this post for other eve-PF-explorers wins a cookie and also a navy cruiser of their choice (contracted at Jita probably).

For those PF-explorers:

If you post up a faction thread (with a format similar to the existing ones, including all the links etc) then you get a Navy Cruiser, or if you are particularly exhaustive with your research, maybe a Navy BC or BS. If it is a primary faction (Amarr, Gallente, etc) or someone else with a ton of material to find and link, I might even go Pirate BS - it would have to be a fairly impressive thread though. Keep in mind that we want the threads to be usable, and you don't necessarily need to have redundant links to stuff (like, if you link the Caldari wiki page, you wouldn't also need to link each thing on the Caldari wiki page in the thread - though things that are buried or obscure might need a link still).

Speaking of Caldari, faction ships would also be forthcoming to anyone who can post updated links for the news articles or other materials that are now broken, and for new official material as well. You would post it in the existing thread for that faction/subfaction and I'll edit the fixed links etc into the OP.

If you would like to be eligible for ships, post in this thread and call the faction/subfaction you will be working on. One faction/subfaction per person at a time, please. First come first served, but if there is no update within a month, someone else can give it a go. If you want to split the work up, or someone else is going to help and also wants to get a ship for their troubles, mention whoever is helping you in your post. You can edit those additional participants in later.

If you would like to add a section for player created content/links, feel free but make sure it is clearly separate from the official stuff. If anyone would like to come up with a more organized template for people to use, also feel free (and I might give you a faction ship).

I don't have the wallet for actually unlimited faction ships, but I'll see what I can do to accommodate this however long it goes on or until I run out of money. Anyone who is interested in donating to the effort, let me know in-game or in this thread also.

You will have to meet some minimum standards to get anything, and for factions without much to dig up (see: CBD) you might only be looking at a frigate or something. However, those who have been around a while know I'm pretty comfortable giving stuff out, so if you put in a significant effort, expect at least some reward.

Feel free to post any questions you have here. I know that there has been some inflation in Eve, but hopefully the combination of faction ships and PF archaeology is still interesting to at least some folks! Happy hunting!
« Last Edit: 04 Sep 2014, 21:33 by Silver Night »

Anyanka Funk

Re: Do you like faction ships? Read this thread.
« Reply #1 on: 04 Sep 2014, 21:31 »

I can make a faction discussion thread for the Blood Raider Covenant if no one else would like to. My character, Anyanka Funk, is currently living in Delve and doing all of their missions. So I can link PF from missions as well as the old articles and player driven content. If someone else thinks they are more qualified, I would be willing to help you. If anyone would like to come out to Delve and dig up PF with me, I can give you a Cruor BPC.

I don't want any faction ship or ISK either. I've been doing this anyway for myself for character development. If someone helps me they can have the rewards.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer

Also, if you are a bit newer, I would definitely suggest seeing if there is someone who has been around longer to partner with. Not that you can't or shouldn't do it solo if you want, but people who have played longer can be useful information mines. They might remember things that aren't otherwise widely known, that kind of thing. Vets: Not just for bittervetting.

Nissui

Re: Do you like faction ships? Read this thread.
« Reply #3 on: 05 Sep 2014, 01:02 »

I don't want any faction ship or ISK either. I've been doing this anyway for myself for character development. If someone helps me they can have the rewards.

Same here.

I'm wondering if maybe someone such as N'maro Makari would sponsor me to work the Vherokior angle, as I've been seeking any links I could get my hands on for some time and would be pleased to consolidate PF passages.

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread

According to this thread, you can only find news articles by browsing the news, or if you know the headline of the news article or can make a close enough guess. Racial news seems MIA.
 :psyccp: :(
-OOChé

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.

As I'm winning Eve, my ISK is just sitting around or being gambled away (DAMN YOU ROTE KAPELLE) so let me know if you start running low on ISK. I can toss you a bill or three.

Lyn Farel

I think a good important part of such threads would be an overview and tutorial introduction to the faction in question for newcomers showing up and being overwhelmed by information. The best way to achieve this is to put yourselves in their shoes and ask yourself "if I knew absolutely nothing about a faction, then what questions will I ask first ?".

Besides the general overview of each faction, what makes it stand out ? What will someone expect in RPing that faction ? What will be the challenges, the difficulties, the rewards, ? What is important to keep in mind ? What is the internal political spectrum, and subfactions ? What are the most important milestones of its history ?

While datadumps are gold mines in themselves so that everything is accessible and centralized, I think they go in pair with a faction guide. Not saying it should be in the vein of Ken's Hitchikker's guide to New Eden, but that's the spirit  :P

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer

I think a brief description would make sense. Putting the link to the relevant Eve wiki article as a 'read this first' might also be an option.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod

I'd be interested in doing or contributing to the Amarr thread.

However, there's already a very nice compilation of Amarr PF that was put together by a PIE guy, and I think he deserves a reward for that as well. Catch is, he's a DUSTie, and I don't know how we could go about giving him anything.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer

However, there's already a very nice compilation of Amarr PF that was put together by a PIE guy, and I think he deserves a reward for that as well. Catch is, he's a DUSTie, and I don't know how we could go about giving him anything.

You could follow him around in a dessie set up for planetary bombardment, I suppose.  :lol:

I'm certainly open to other ideas.

And we have our first new thread, for the Blood Raiders: http://backstage.eve-inspiracy.com/index.php?topic=6034.0

I've added a section for pirate factions, and I may fill in some placeholders so people can see what factions could still use a thread.

Also, in case this wasn't clear, volunteering to make a thread for this means you are volunteering to have mods edit your thread in the future (to add things, or remove things if they become outdated, that kind of stuff). Hasn't been a problem so far or anything, but just thought everyone should have a heads up.
« Last Edit: 05 Sep 2014, 20:07 by Silver Night »

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind

I'll prod Arista. Maybe she'll be interested in working on the Khanid one with me, since I'll suddenly be finding myself with nothing to do in EVE in a few days.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer

I'll prod Arista. Maybe she'll be interested in working on the Khanid one with me, since I'll suddenly be finding myself with nothing to do in EVE in a few days.

Except, hopefully, hangar-spin your new AT ship.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor

If you're talking about Templar Twelve, he's Raphael Ordo on EVE.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind

Except, hopefully, hangar-spin your new AT ship.

One can hope. :oops:
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer

Updated, with a list of more sub-factions Feel free to create threads for ones I didn't list (the Gallente, I don't even? They don't have the type of handy factions sub-factions the other empires do. Feel free to try things.) The listed ones are just to give people an idea of ones they could do if they maybe don't want to tackle a whole primary faction or if they particularly like a particular tribe or heir or something.
Pages: [1] 2