Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That some Minmatar pilots have a tradition of gifting Rodj Blake's corpse to newly-weds?

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: IRL Language Use in EVE  (Read 6881 times)

Lyn Farel

Re: IRL Language Use in EVE
« Reply #30 on: 09 Sep 2014, 16:08 »

I really love them out of game as lore themselves. Amarad, Napanii, etc.

I just think they don't really have their place ICly ingame, but in stories.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #31 on: 09 Sep 2014, 16:13 »

I really love them out of game as lore themselves. Amarad, Napanii, etc.

I just think they don't really have their place ICly ingame, but in stories.

Beyond greetings and the occasional label for an object or animal or a concept (the word "heiian" comes to mind here for that last one), this is how I tend to look at it.

Greetings I tend to give leeway for in particular because in real life we often borrow or co-opt greetings from other languages even in general use. As an example, how often have you heard people who are otherwise speaking English use "Ciao" or "Hola" or "Sayonara" or another hello/goodbye equivalent rather than the English words? I'd wager it to be pretty often, at least in a lot of parts of the US.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Karynn

« Reply #32 on: 10 Sep 2014, 01:24 »

Mae fy hofrenfad yn llawn llyswennod. Ti'n siarad Cymraeg?

Ydw, d'win siarad Cymraeg!
Nid oes unrhyw lyswennod yn fy hofrenfad!

I agree that the universal translator should take care of most things, but I don't mind the odd word here or there where the meaning is obvious because of context. I wouldn't like to have to tab out to look up words in the middle of a conversation, it spoils the flow.

Greetings I tend to give leeway for in particular because in real life we often borrow or co-opt greetings from other languages even in general use. As an example, how often have you heard people who are otherwise speaking English use "Ciao" or "Hola" or "Sayonara" or another hello/goodbye equivalent rather than the English words? I'd wager it to be pretty often, at least in a lot of parts of the US.

Sure, I hear this sort of thing everyday in work, and the context is easy to understand.

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
« Reply #33 on: 10 Sep 2014, 07:26 »

Thing is, modern speech doesn't use only words that is genuine to the language the conversation is held in. It's quite obvious that phrases like "Sic semper tyrannis" carry a meaning that is not conveyed by a litteral translation and would need some explaining to do in a non-literal 'translation'. Which is why it's nowadays used as a standing phrase, in latin, even though people rarely speak latin anymore. It's something I notice oftentimes with german words in the english language. While 'verboten' translates relatively nicely to 'prohibited' or some such words, the connotation is slightly different because it is borrowed from german. It's a well known effect, as the proverb "Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina." documents.

So, I think it wouldn't make sense that a translator would be able to circumvent magically such situations. (Of course, though, we might all sound in translation by the translator like the Elcor in Mass Effect. - [Sadly:] I wouldn't be exhilarated by that, though.)

Also, putting in the odd word is simply a way of creating a certain flavour. The use of a Napaani greeting makes a lot of things clear with a simple, single word. It's a way to express the way our characters speak in a way that relying solely on proper english words, phrases and sentences wouldn't allow.

Tl;dr: Oftentimes it doesn't merely matter what our chars say, but also how they say it.
« Last Edit: 10 Sep 2014, 07:38 by Nicoletta Mithra »

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #34 on: 10 Sep 2014, 22:53 »

Late to the thread, but here goes.

I honestly don't care.

Maybe it's because Amarr never had that much of a push to use a language to the level of Napanii, but while I do not get particularly excited about creating a language to RP with it doesn't annoy me either. I simply opt out of it - while others may choose to use their language-ized greetings and names, I just stick with normal english ones. So far, I've never been accused of being rude IC or anything for not using the special language, and I'm perfectly happy to give the people who do like that kind of thing the same respect.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread
« Reply #35 on: 13 Sep 2014, 15:30 »

Ché was once in a club, and provoked an attack from a drunk sebbie. Another minnie, part of the management, confronted the sebbie with about her behaviour and demanded she apologize to me. This was mostly done in Irish, which I asume to be minnie-speak or some kind of clan speak.
The fact that I could not easily understand what was said, contributed to Ché's growing sense of not quite being able to get along with the matari for some reason (he seemed to piss them off, particularly the women) ...and not being welcomed by them.
This sense is still present, although these days it's mostly brought to the surface when dealing with Ava.  :cube:
-OOChé

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!
« Reply #36 on: 13 Sep 2014, 16:52 »

Mae fy hofrenfad yn llawn llyswennod. Ti'n siarad Cymraeg?

Ydw, d'win siarad Cymraeg!
Nid oes unrhyw lyswennod yn fy hofrenfad!

You have done well... in recognition I present you with this Welsh Rarebit. Dine heartily.

The very model of a British Minmatarian

Lyn Farel

« Reply #37 on: 14 Sep 2014, 04:23 »

Thing is, modern speech doesn't use only words that is genuine to the language the conversation is held in. It's quite obvious that phrases like "Sic semper tyrannis" carry a meaning that is not conveyed by a litteral translation and would need some explaining to do in a non-literal 'translation'. Which is why it's nowadays used as a standing phrase, in latin, even though people rarely speak latin anymore. It's something I notice oftentimes with german words in the english language. While 'verboten' translates relatively nicely to 'prohibited' or some such words, the connotation is slightly different because it is borrowed from german. It's a well known effect, as the proverb "Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina." documents.

So, I think it wouldn't make sense that a translator would be able to circumvent magically such situations. (Of course, though, we might all sound in translation by the translator like the Elcor in Mass Effect. - [Sadly:] I wouldn't be exhilarated by that, though.)

Also, putting in the odd word is simply a way of creating a certain flavour. The use of a Napaani greeting makes a lot of things clear with a simple, single word. It's a way to express the way our characters speak in a way that relying solely on proper english words, phrases and sentences wouldn't allow.

Tl;dr: Oftentimes it doesn't merely matter what our chars say, but also how they say it.

That's a good point.
Pages: 1 2 [3]