Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Sukuuvestaa Corporation, or SuVee as it is commonly known, is the head of the self-proclaimed 'practical' faction within the Caldari State? Read more here.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Most Wanted: Character Archetypes  (Read 9479 times)

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
Re: Most Wanted: Character Archetypes
« Reply #15 on: 05 Aug 2014, 17:35 »

Arnulf is supposed to be the intellectual Minmatar of which you speak. When he isn't flying he studies comparative religion and the current state of archeology. Both planet based & astroarcheology.

It's just I rarely find someone who is interested in chatting about such things.
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #16 on: 06 Aug 2014, 03:33 »

Archaeology ! If I had known.... :/

Jikahr

• Egger
  • Grumpy Cat Amarr
« Reply #17 on: 06 Sep 2014, 19:16 »

Arnulf is supposed to be the intellectual Minmatar of which you speak. When he isn't flying he studies comparative religion and the current state of archeology. Both planet based & astroarcheology.

It's just I rarely find someone who is interested in chatting about such things.

Which is sort of the problem with roleplay and combat. We never see the Minmatar Brutors when are calm and intellectual such as Dr. Bruce Banner, only when they are all furiously mad like the Incredible Hulk (in a Rifter!)

I have had some good roleplay with the Minmatar when I was in Faction war. However, it was pretty rare. When you find an enemy that wants to RP, you have to dock up and talk in local. You can't focus on typing up dialogue and activate your ship modules at the same time.

-Blood Raider ala Silas: For some reason when I first started I thought that Blood Raiders were kind of hokey. However, I think what Naupilus has done with them is genius! Of course, I am only just now aware that there are many Blood Raiders with well developed stories and character backgrounds. I remember plenty of pirates when I was in Faction war, but none of them were interested in roleplay.

-Thukker Aligned Capsuleer: Having learned more about the Thukkers makes me wish sometimes that I chose to play them instead of Amarr. I like their gypsy like philosophy of carrying everything with them from one star system to another. I suppose if no one else is playing a Thukker though, I would feel pretty darned lonely. An Amarrian loyalist in FW was a pretty broad career path.

Caldari State loyalists pushing for a smaller State-aligned corp to make CEP

I would like to see this happen. Perhaps a constellation could be conquered from the other Faction during Faction War?

Interestingly, there is a settlement of ex-patriot Caldaris that live in the Khanid kingdom. (Khaldari). In my mind at least, I imagine them to be like American ex-pats living in Europe during the war, sitting in cafes and perhaps even opening up some local businesses. In other words, still Caldari in culture, but unhappy enough with the State to want to leave it.

Since there are rumors of rebellion against the Empire brewing in the Khanid state, perhaps the Provists could find a home there now that there are arrest warrants out for Tibus Heth. The Khanid and Provists do share a kind of right wing fanaticism and hatred for 'Liberalism'.

Other than that, there is Null sec?

More Khanids (who don’t go Angel or Sabik after three months!)!

Well, Naupilus is a Khanid. He went for at least a year before he went Sanik.

Khanids have interesting bloodlines, such as Zealot and Cyber-Knights. I am somewhat surprised that so few people choose Cyber-Knights.

Ammatar guys!

It would be good to see more Ammatar characters being worked out. I think it's a bit confusing on character creation though. Should the Ammatar be considered 'Amarr'? In order to be an Ammatar character, you have to start off in Minmatar space at the Republic schools, only to somehow come across the Ammatar culture. There isn't much appeal to it either. If you want to fly Amarr ships, why chose a Minmatar and vice versa?

Jin-Mei folks!
I would like to see some more spiritual Caldari, that's for sure.

Mannar : fucking hawkish mannar federals...
Udorian : tash murkonites with clear and reclaimed udorian ancestry.
Ealurian:

A bit off topic but I wonder why all of the humanoids of EVE are well, of Terrestrial origin? I haven't heard of any of the green skinned or blue skinned people that are a staple of other science fiction stories. Why is it a war between four ancient Earth cultures, and not the Terrans against say, a reptilian race of humanoids or something? Would that be too cliche?

Nefantars (republic loyalists)

Gallentean activist not fighting slavery:

Would this mean they were more pro-slavery or just indifferent? I did meet a Gallente who moved to Jita right away (still on a trial subscription). He was very professional and businesslike in his roleplay. He claimed to move from the Federation since it disgusted him, and he promptly applied for membership in the Caldari state.

I tend to think of Gallente state as something like Barbarella meets the Jetsons. It's a place full of sin, sex, drugs and decadence, the place where all the spandex utopianism of the Science Fiction of 1970s went. I also imagine it's like Clockwork Orange in the bad neighbourhoods.
Currently training Verbosity to level V.

Karynn

« Reply #18 on: 07 Sep 2014, 01:39 »

I suppose if no one else is playing a Thukker though, I would feel pretty darned lonely.

*waves*  :)
I'm happy I can fill this niche and I hope I'm doing it right, or near enough!
Far from trying to emulate one of the Great Caravans, mine represents a lesser, renegade offshoot, inspired by the last paragraph of this article: http://community.testeveonline.com/news/news-channels/eve-online-news/thukker-views-on-joining-republic-vary-wildly-real-autonomy-demanded/

As far as the othet Most Wanteds go, I'd love to see Nefantar characters; would be interesting to see how other tribes and the imperials would react to them. I think you'd get the full range from outright hostility to compassion... shun them or win them over?

I'm also curious as to how other players view the factions where there is very little established lore; do you see it as prohibitive, or a blank canvas where you're free to paint your own vision?

Lyn Farel

« Reply #19 on: 07 Sep 2014, 02:40 »

Ammatar guys!

It would be good to see more Ammatar characters being worked out. I think it's a bit confusing on character creation though. Should the Ammatar be considered 'Amarr'? In order to be an Ammatar character, you have to start off in Minmatar space at the Republic schools, only to somehow come across the Ammatar culture. There isn't much appeal to it either. If you want to fly Amarr ships, why chose a Minmatar and vice versa?

Having played that road for more than 6 years I can actually state that it is an incredibly interesting but also very frustrating RP to do. It is interesting because the Ammatar in themselves are one of the richest and conflicting minor faction around (with their special Holder status, privileges, and their history of collaborators, tainted by a lot of Nefantar culture). So yes, it's damn interesting to play and the relationship with Amarr players is always source of interesting stuff, either they go well along (like Samira and PIE Inc), or either they conflict all along like it was for me and some folks back in the days in Ammatar Free Corps.

What was always extremely frustrating was the gameplay that limited all of that at every turn. And the lore in the end too.

Gameplay because as you say, the starting school had to be explained ICly, and the most annoying thing, the bloodline written in black on white in the character show info. Well, for the school it was possible, but for the bloodline, it was just "CONCORD made a mistake DERP". But anyway most people were pretty fine to get along with it, that was kind of a relief.

And lore wise, well... TEA half killed the Ammatar lore tbh, and what happened next completely finished it off imo. The removed everything that made the Ammatar standing apart, and molded them into a lethargic, apathetic puppet with no soul and identity.

A bit similar to what happened to the Caldari, but unlike for the Caldari, it never got fixed, and probably never will. :/
« Last Edit: 07 Sep 2014, 02:43 by Lyn Farel »

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #20 on: 07 Sep 2014, 04:47 »

There isn't much appeal to it either. If you want to fly Amarr ships, why chose a Minmatar and vice versa?

Because for some of us the appeal wasn't, "I want to fly Amarr ships." It instead was, "I want the experience of being a Minmatar loyal to the Amarr." The ships don't really matter much for me.

Though in my case it's being an Amarrian Minmatar rather than an actual Ammatar.

The school/starting location thing is definitely an issue, and honestly I wish CCP would redo that bit. You should ideally choose race first, then faction loyalty second. Or they could add factional ancestry options--IE Minmatar characters could have 'Amarr' or 'Gallente' ancestry, which permit access to the Amarr or Gallente schools respectively if picked.

As far as what was done to the Ammatar in lore though... I still think the biggest issue to it isn't what was done but how it was handled, as is the case with a lot of TEA-era stuff. Rather than being an opportunity for internal cultural conflict (though we did get some of this with the Man of Values and Faith chronicle), it was unfortunately used instead as an excuse to just sweep the whole faction under the rug of the greater Amarr bloc.
« Last Edit: 07 Sep 2014, 05:09 by Samira Kernher »

Lyn Farel

« Reply #21 on: 07 Sep 2014, 08:46 »

Pretty much. CCP usual news and lore pieces take a great care to include different sides and views to most of them. Like the shooting of Midular with both sides presenting different arguments and conflicting over the same thing.

But in the case of the Ammatar, instead of being a matter of conflict between imperialist control freak movements that want to see the sheep back into the herd and privileged ammatars knocked out by TEA events with individuals trying to get everything back in one piece, we literally got an Ardishapur annexation and nothing else. Not a word from Ammatars. Not even a damn word about other major houses on the matter, like it is anyway everytime the case when some heir does something. It's like they never comment on each others things and politics.

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!
« Reply #22 on: 07 Sep 2014, 10:41 »

Did someone say Intellectual Minmatar? 

*slaps elbow patches on tweed space suit*
The very model of a British Minmatarian

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #23 on: 07 Sep 2014, 12:52 »

A bit off topic but I wonder why all of the humanoids of EVE are well, of Terrestrial origin? I haven't heard of any of the green skinned or blue skinned people that are a staple of other science fiction stories. Why is it a war between four ancient Earth cultures, and not the Terrans against say, a reptilian race of humanoids or something? Would that be too cliche?

I think the idea was to break with the standard SF trope of humans vs aliens and look at conflicting human cultures instead. Plus there is the usual potential to hold a distorting mirror up to contemporary concerns. That has been a staple of decent SF & fantasy for as long as the genres have existed.
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #24 on: 07 Sep 2014, 15:20 »

Where da Minneh turrists at?

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!
« Reply #25 on: 08 Sep 2014, 11:24 »

Gently smothered with a pillow while CCP shhs softly.
The very model of a British Minmatarian

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #26 on: 08 Sep 2014, 11:27 »

Gently smothered with a pillow while CCP shhs softly.

Well ain't that the trmMMMMPGHHMMPHH!

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #27 on: 08 Sep 2014, 11:39 »

Neat poll!

I vote UDORIAN, because I want some raised eyebrows and soft whispering amarr politicking when some uppity Udorian with pretenses to power interacts with some old-school True Amarr :P

Also Khanid.  Always more Khanid, loyal to Khanid II.

:)

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain
« Reply #28 on: 08 Sep 2014, 11:45 »

* Arista Shahni waves small Kingdom small flag, alone, and neither an Angel or a Sabik, and a Zealot who has not Lost Her Shit.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #29 on: 08 Sep 2014, 12:47 »

Also Khanid.  Always more Khanid, loyal to Khanid II.

:)

Go Reclaim the hell out of your old mansion then.

Go Reclaim the WINE too. ALL THE WINE.

Well I mean, the wine that didn't burn.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6