Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The True Slaves are loyal, implant controlled slave troops of Sansha Kuvakei? Moar here.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Problems in summit moderation  (Read 22635 times)

Lyn Farel

Re: Problems in summit moderation
« Reply #15 on: 30 May 2014, 16:27 »

One should be cautious when comparing an amateur player channel with public institutions, me thinks.

PracticalTechnicality

« Reply #16 on: 30 May 2014, 16:32 »

One should be cautious when comparing an amateur player channel with public institutions, me thinks.

Seconded.  Not to mention that it is effectively a 'story time in the land of fiction channel.  The game itself is fiction and some rp even pushes the realms of being a fiction within the fiction.  This isn't a massive loss.  Use the public channels and forget about OOC/The Summit if you are unwilling to deal with the fact that they are owned by a man who is very much tired of this particular series of events. 

Andreus Ixiris

• Omelette
« Reply #17 on: 30 May 2014, 16:42 »

For my part in this, LF, at one point I had to be asked by a channel moderator - not instructed, not ordered, but asked, as a personal favour - to stop mentioning you in The Summit. This was because this moderator was being innundated by you with complaints about things that I was saying - in character - about Diana in the channel. I complied, for the time specified by the moderator, not because I particularly care about offending you or Diana, but because the moderator in question asked politely that I stop doing it.

This tells me two things: firstly, you were aware of what was going on in a channel you were banned from, which by all rights you probably shouldn't have been. Secondly, you were complaining to a person with authority in that channel profusely and consistently enough about those things that they felt it was more effective to ask me to stop doing them (despite the fact that I had not violated the channel's rules) than to tell you to stop complaining. You were banned from the channel at this point - you didn't really have a right to complain about what was going on in it, and yet you were, at such a volume (and apparently, despite the moderator repeatedly telling you it was not their problem) that they felt compelled to ask me to stop just so you'd stop badgering them about it.

I'm not going to name the moderator in question because I feel they were already needlessly put upon by this situation and don't want to drag them into this further, but since you've repeatedly asked for examples in this thread, I'm bringing this up as an example of behaviour that really should be avoided.

Lithium Flower

• Omelette
  • I very speak engrish a bit, thank you!
« Reply #18 on: 30 May 2014, 17:26 »

As far as I know, the final ban was triggered because Graelyn was, quite literally and quite simply, tired of hearing your name come up again and again. He banned you because he doesn't want you in the channels anymore, and doesn't want to hear about or from you, or any of your alts.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the reason is that the channel owner actually dislikes you now. In that case, there isn't anything else we have to explain to you - because it's not even in our hands anymore.

In other words, talking about it any further is pointless. I've said my piece. If others want to continue the discussion, they can... but even if you were completely satisfied with my answers (highly unlikely), nothing will change.

You're pretty much never coming back until Graelyn decides otherwise.
In fact, I am satisfied. Thank you.
Exactly my point: ban was without reason.

Why I needed this is rather simple, some peoples were claiming that I was banned for something "wrong" I did. Obviously now, it isn't.

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #19 on: 30 May 2014, 17:40 »

When a man logs in to a game and sees his inbox full, and going through the evemails he sees that 90% of them are either from you or about you, it becomes very tempting and right to solve all those problems with the click of a single button.
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #20 on: 30 May 2014, 17:43 »

firstly, you were aware of what was going on in a channel you were banned from, which by all rights you probably shouldn't have been.
People talk.  It would be simple enough for someone to tell DK in another channel what Andreus kept saying about DK. 

Secondly, you were complaining to a person with authority in that channel profusely and consistently enough about those things that they felt it was more effective to ask me to stop doing them (despite the fact that I had not violated the channel's rules) than to tell you to stop complaining.

What would you do if someone was talking about you (presumably in a negative light) in a semi-public forum in which you were banned?  Sit on your hands and just accept that any potential first impressions with others you might engage are already tainted by what another individual (who is essentially your enemy) says?

Andreus Ixiris

• Omelette
« Reply #21 on: 30 May 2014, 17:46 »

What would you do if someone was talking about you (presumably in a negative light) in a semi-public forum in which you were banned?  Sit on your hands and just accept that any potential first impressions with others you might engage are already tainted by what another individual (who is essentially your enemy) says?
That pretty much entirely describes what I had to do for the year my EVE Online forum account was banned, and the three months I was banned from The Summit.

So yeah.

That's precisely what I did.

Andreus Ixiris

• Omelette
« Reply #22 on: 30 May 2014, 17:50 »

Why I needed this is rather simple, some peoples were claiming that I was banned for something "wrong" I did. Obviously now, it isn't.
I'm not entirely certain exactly how you read "you were banned without reason" from the statement Katrina made, because that's pretty much the exact opposite of what she said.

I have a theory on what the problem is, but it'd take a fairly long explanation. Would you like me to go into more detail?

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #23 on: 30 May 2014, 18:09 »

That pretty much entirely describes what I had to do for the year my EVE Online forum account was banned, and the three months I was banned from The Summit.

So yeah.

That's precisely what I did.

Had a different impression based on the creation of the Andreus LaHane character. vOv

As far as I know, the final ban was triggered because Graelyn was, quite literally and quite simply, tired of hearing your name come up again and again. He banned you because he doesn't want you in the channels anymore, and doesn't want to hear about or from you, or any of your alts.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the reason is that the channel owner actually dislikes you now. In that case, there isn't anything else we have to explain to you - because it's not even in our hands anymore.

In other words, talking about it any further is pointless. I've said my piece. If others want to continue the discussion, they can... but even if you were completely satisfied with my answers (highly unlikely), nothing will change.

You're pretty much never coming back until Graelyn decides otherwise.

Lithium, you were banned for causing the management a headache (a reason).  While you may not have broken a rule, the reason is fairly clear.  Diane Kim created entirely too much drama within the player-run channels.

You are clearly concerned that this impedes your RP - sorry find another channel.  Public debates will have to be held elsewhere.

Also, do what many a Caldari and Amarr character has done before you - ignore the jagii/infidel Andreus Ixiris.
« Last Edit: 30 May 2014, 18:18 by orange »

Lithium Flower

• Omelette
« Reply #24 on: 30 May 2014, 18:13 »

For my part in this, LF, at one point I had to be asked by a channel moderator - not instructed, not ordered, but asked, as a personal favour - to stop mentioning you in The Summit. This was because this moderator was being innundated by you with complaints about things that I was saying - in character - about Diana in the channel. I complied, for the time specified by the moderator, not because I particularly care about offending you or Diana, but because the moderator in question asked politely that I stop doing it.

This tells me two things: firstly, you were aware of what was going on in a channel you were banned from, which by all rights you probably shouldn't have been. Secondly, you were complaining to a person with authority in that channel profusely and consistently enough about those things that they felt it was more effective to ask me to stop doing them (despite the fact that I had not violated the channel's rules) than to tell you to stop complaining. You were banned from the channel at this point - you didn't really have a right to complain about what was going on in it, and yet you were, at such a volume (and apparently, despite the moderator repeatedly telling you it was not their problem) that they felt compelled to ask me to stop just so you'd stop badgering them about it.

I'm not going to name the moderator in question because I feel they were already needlessly put upon by this situation and don't want to drag them into this further, but since you've repeatedly asked for examples in this thread, I'm bringing this up as an example of behaviour that really should be avoided.
About "innundating", complaining "profusely and consistently", I would like you to not speak of such matters, since for all my time when I was in the channel, I wrote to moderators only 9 times, and only 5 or 6 of them were original complaints.

Andreus Ixiris

• Omelette
« Reply #25 on: 30 May 2014, 18:17 »

Well, I have only your word against the moderator's here. Given that it's been stated by others in this thread that you have a tendency to declare people whose judgement you disagree with "not moderators:"

In your specific case, you have a habit of declaring any moderator who disagrees with you or takes action against you is "not a moderator". You're welcome to ignore us... you just aren't welcome to use the channels if you do. You do not get to selectively choose who is a moderator and who isn't, what is a ban reason and what isn't, and what is allowed and what isn't.

... I have to ask whether you're going by your definition of who is and isn't a moderator or the channel's?

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #26 on: 30 May 2014, 18:18 »

Take note.

Lithium Flower

• Omelette
« Reply #27 on: 30 May 2014, 18:21 »

Lithium, you were banned for causing the management a headache (a reason).  While you may not have broken a rule, the reason is fairly clear.  Diane Kim created entirely too much drama within the player-run channels.

You are clearly concerned that this impedes your RP - sorry find another channel.  Public debates will have to be held elsewhere.

Also, do what many a Caldari and Amarr character has done before you - ignore the jagii/infidel Andreus Ixiris.
Well, haha, I wasn't causing any troubles since last ban, avoiding any "headache", still, banned  :lol:

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #28 on: 30 May 2014, 18:40 »

It is irresponsible modding to ban people just because you "can't be bothered". Being a volunteer doesn't excuse it IMO. Especially in a game where you are basically denying the player access to the primary public RP outlet. Temporary mutes when a situation is super tense, disruptive, and toxic, sure, but bans I really, really don't understand.

If it's IC, who gives a crap?

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #29 on: 30 May 2014, 19:21 »

It is irresponsible modding to ban people just because you "can't be bothered". Being a volunteer doesn't excuse it IMO. Especially in a game where you are basically denying the player access to the primary public RP outlet.

Graelyn is not a volunteer moderator. Graelyn is the owner. If you shit in his house constantly right in front of him, he's going to kick you out. Very simple concept.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6