Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

DED has very long-standing military laws governing the conduct of its officers.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: [Fanfest] Lore Roundtable  (Read 11280 times)

Utsukushi Shi

• Achur Temptress
  • Egger
  • Chuku Dansei
Re: [Fanfest] Lore Roundtable
« Reply #75 on: 24 May 2014, 06:07 »

That isn't somehow a "CCP trait" though, it is literally what any other MMO publisher does. And, while slow about it at least they do respond sometimes to player reaction. Witness the unTonying of some of their plotlines in the last year.

My point remains, if you want things to change you have to actualy convince them to do so. Build a larger RP scene and go do things in EVE. Get a RP CSM member elected. There are any number of people who do not post on backstage or the IGS who would likely love story and lore improvements but they languish in nonRP organizations for want of anyone decent to join up with. When I ran SHIN me and Havo were the only "actual RPers" in the alliance but all of the other people were on board with the RP ideals we were aiming for. There are ways to get people interested in these things but it takes work.
Sometimes one wants to get caught...

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
« Reply #76 on: 24 May 2014, 07:13 »

It's true about all other MMO's as well: Of course they respond to the players at one point or the other. It's nothing that only CCP does. It's an economic law that companies have to respond to the wishes of customers.

And really, the RP community in EVE was larger and more active 5 years ago, it's not like CCP did work to keep that community prospering. Of course, to be fair, back then or now doesn't matter that much, the RPers are a slice of the community that is quite irrelevant for the decisions CCP is making.

And even if the RPers could do more: That doesn't mean that CCP isn't failing to provide. One and the other can be true quite independently from one another.

Also, if everything was so peachy with your alliance, why did you leave?

Lyn Farel

« Reply #77 on: 24 May 2014, 08:22 »

That isn't somehow a "CCP trait" though, it is literally what any other MMO publisher does. And, while slow about it at least they do respond sometimes to player reaction. Witness the unTonying of some of their plotlines in the last year.

Well yes, for a moment we all held incredibly high hopes when Falcon, Eterne and others started to move the story forward again and showed a willing interest in cleaning up the mess brought up by that poor TonyG that the RP community got fond of beating again and again and again like a dead horse. While we eventually agreed or not on how it was then done, how we criticize it positively or negatively (I am part of the people that didn't really like what they did either, just felt like they were falling into the same traps than TonyG did), it was rather incredible to have again a GM team willing to step into the track of Arek Jalan and eventually bringing something closer to Aurora past events than anything we had before, with interactable dev faction contacts and characters (one of the most awesome ideas ever), new pieces of news, and a world put in motion again. And I almost forgot the eve wiki too. It was awesome for the lore. But very vulnerable to retcon unfortunately...

Unfortunately, it didn't last. Not that i'm complaining much since I didn't like what they did, but at least it breathed life again into a moribund RP scenery. So, to their credits, they tried to revive the golden age that we had before TEA, which was already fanning when I started playing just after the collapse of Aurora.

My point remains, if you want things to change you have to actualy convince them to do so. Build a larger RP scene and go do things in EVE. Get a RP CSM member elected. There are any number of people who do not post on backstage or the IGS who would likely love story and lore improvements but they languish in nonRP organizations for want of anyone decent to join up with. When I ran SHIN me and Havo were the only "actual RPers" in the alliance but all of the other people were on board with the RP ideals we were aiming for. There are ways to get people interested in these things but it takes work.

Well yes, good luck with that then. I really mean it.

I have already had the time to contemplate all the effort I did myself over the years aiming for the same purpose. Trying to gather a frail or non existing local RP community for the first years, trying to help building CVA and what happened in Providence, and then being very happy to see Hardin, Jade and a few other RPers being elected in the very first CSMs. It sure gave the RP scene an overinflated importance compared to what it really was in reality. CCP have always cared a lot more than they could have about their RP community, especially considering its size. Maybe because they were just happy to see that the universe they cared about and its lore were also strongly appreciated by some players, with a few of them important figures of Eve like Istvaan, Graelyn, Hardin, Jade, etc. Or maybe my jaded side is just telling me that if it worked before it was just because some VIP RPers had a certain influence in CCP matters, like some new figures today have, especially through the CSM or hired players.

It was the reflect of that time, but now the big figures and the mainstream has changed. It was already hard to have a voice in the past, but now... lol. The people working for CCP that were really into the lore have for most of them left or given up.
« Last Edit: 24 May 2014, 08:26 by Lyn Farel »

Muck Raker

• Wetgraver
« Reply #78 on: 02 Jun 2014, 12:54 »

There will be neither recognition nor reward from the storyline team, for player driven actions for at least 6 months.

After that, we'll see.

Andreus Ixiris

• Omelette
« Reply #79 on: 03 Jun 2014, 02:41 »

he did say that he was interested in [...] continuing the “empires losing their grip” theme that was reiterated with last year's Eve Origins and Rubicon trailers.
More of this bullshit?

Way to shoot yourself in the foot and alienate the vast majority of the people who care about the lore, CCP.

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #80 on: 03 Jun 2014, 04:19 »

he did say that he was interested in [...] continuing the “empires losing their grip” theme that was reiterated with last year's Eve Origins and Rubicon trailers.
More of this bullshit?

Way to shoot yourself in the foot and alienate the vast majority of the people who care about the lore, CCP.

But lore is good to explain why some of us don't want to hang out in Empire space no more. Like Elmund never liking how Republic handled Skarkon and some of the things he saw in the RMS and in lowsec settlements and thought, gee, screw those guys man, I'm not flying their flags.
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #81 on: 03 Jun 2014, 08:59 »

That's fine. There's plenty of reasons not to work for the Big4/CONCORD. "They are made to look like chumps because they can't control the one major force they DO have leashed six ways to Sunday" should not be one of them.

The existential threat of Rogue Drones invading - as described in earlier Chronicles, let alone stuff like the Code Aria report - felt to me to be a much more natural method of playing the 'loosing control' arc.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #82 on: 07 Aug 2014, 17:51 »

But why the 'losing control' arc, in the first place? The thing is that CCP has a burr up their arse called, and thankyou Graelyn, NULLSEC FUCKSTICKING. And I really don't want much part of it.

So, it seems, they're going the route of squeezing out Empire space altogether. This change in policy regarding Lore certainly seems to corroborate this and... I don't know, maybe Eve just isn't the game for me anymore?

Laurentis Thiesant

• Egger
« Reply #83 on: 07 Aug 2014, 17:57 »

But why the 'losing control' arc, in the first place? The thing is that CCP has a burr up their arse called, and thankyou Graelyn, NULLSEC FUCKSTICKING. And I really don't want much part of it.

So, it seems, they're going the route of squeezing out Empire space altogether. This change in policy regarding Lore certainly seems to corroborate this and... I don't know, maybe Eve just isn't the game for me anymore?

New plan. All the RPers join together into a nullsec coalition - pretend it's a CONCORD thing.
Fuck off the storyline in two ways.

Oh wait, egos.  8)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]