Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Blood Raiders are part of an ancient cultist faction called Sani Sabik, which first appeared on Amarr Prime thousands of years ago? Read more here.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: One conscious, Three minds  (Read 7471 times)

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
Re: One conscious, Three minds
« Reply #15 on: 03 May 2014, 19:31 »

Something you guys may want to keep in mind - this tech is, first of all, not currently in existence in New Eden. And it won't until Valkyrie's storyline begins proper.

And even then, the tech is going to be discovered/owned by the Guristas. Do you really think they're going to part with that tech readily? They aren't bound by Alpha Gamma 12 like the Empires are.

So, IMO, we're looking at at least a year or two before that tech becomes widely available IC to the point we would have access to it.

Edit - I spoke very briefly with Delegate Zero about this at the party, and he confirmed that this tech currently does not exist in New Eden. Anyone already trying to go with it is bad and should feel bad, because CCP said so. :P
« Last Edit: 03 May 2014, 20:49 by Morwen Lagann »
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #16 on: 03 May 2014, 22:55 »

And as for "invulnerability," you have to have faith in the technological magic of the mind/scan and that it cannot be interfered with.

For stories, the possibilities for derangement are multi-fold.

V. Gesakaarin

« Reply #17 on: 04 May 2014, 03:12 »

Lore-wise I'm not sure what the issue is. It just shows that in New Eden there is a lot of active innovation and R&D that can bear fruit, and that underlying technology doesn't remain static forever. I mean, the major factions have trillions of citizens, and the outlaw factions might have somewhere in the billions. Comparatively speaking that's a lot of scientists and engineers you can potentially throw at a project compared to today, and just look at where some initial prototypes can end up in two years right now with enough funding and staff.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #18 on: 04 May 2014, 03:19 »

It's funny how all the new tech seems to come from pirate factions these days.

Guristas especially. I would have said sansha too, but they kept their for themselves.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #19 on: 04 May 2014, 04:12 »

It's funny how all the new tech seems to come from pirate factions these days.
Guristas especially. I would have said sansha too, but they kept their for themselves.

it's a common thing in sci-fi things, for "pirates" to have superior or innovative technologies.

a lot of times it is an ego-massager type thing from the authors, this idea that "large corporations are dumb and I can outsmart them because I am superior to anyone", and so on.

And in EVE, there is the whole highsec/lowsec/nullsec thing, that requires loot from null and lowsec to be more valuable and superior to anything in highsec.
\o/

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #20 on: 04 May 2014, 04:35 »

At least a possibly IC explanation for the tech coming from the Guristas, is that they are always described as the wealthiest of the pirate factions; staggeringly wealthy actually. Combine this with Korasami's (spelling?) hatred of both capsuleers and the Empires and his motivation and ability to fund the creation of something like the Valkyries becomes more clear.

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #21 on: 04 May 2014, 12:04 »

Lore is often squeezed and massaged as a secondary to the game/$$/bottom line.

If it makes sense for the direction of the company there will be retcon to make it work.  Remember only about .1% of the playerbase gives a shit about any of this.

I think it's all a bit overpowered mary sue for my tastes, and I'm not sure what the difference between a 'capsuleer' and a fighter pilot clone is?  I think it's lazy storytelling, the IP is huge and expansive and there's plenty of stories (and games) to tell featuring regular mortal people fighting and dying in New Eden.

Ibrahim Tash-Murkon

• Wetgraver
« Reply #22 on: 04 May 2014, 14:32 »

Psyche-wise this new ability has the potential to lead to some very, very messed up individuals. The variety and frequency of demise in space, in a fighter, and in the staggering assortment of ground combat deaths would mentally destroy even the most resilient people, I would think. After a few years one would expect half of us are stark raving lunatics, the other half are soul-less machines bent on domination and power. And us station traders will inherit the ashes.
“If your hands aren’t bleeding, you aren’t working hard enough.”

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #23 on: 04 May 2014, 14:56 »

Well, that's nice. Won't be using it on Sami.

V. Gesakaarin

« Reply #24 on: 04 May 2014, 16:49 »

There also seems to be a logical conclusion that the more the technology of the DUST implants is developed and iterated upon the final end-state should be one where the majority of humanity is effectively, "immortal", right?

Ollie

• Egger
« Reply #25 on: 04 May 2014, 18:50 »

There also seems to be a logical conclusion that the more the technology of the DUST implants is developed and iterated upon the final end-state should be one where the majority of humanity is effectively, "immortal", right?

That's the general feeling I'm getting too - which kind of fits with the new player-created stargate technology to frontiers unknown. Wasn't there mention way back about that same tech being a one-way trip or was that some fevered delusion of mine?

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #26 on: 04 May 2014, 19:22 »

Lore-wise I'm not sure what the issue is. It just shows that in New Eden there is a lot of active innovation and R&D that can bear fruit, and that underlying technology doesn't remain static forever. I mean, the major factions have trillions of citizens, and the outlaw factions might have somewhere in the billions. Comparatively speaking that's a lot of scientists and engineers you can potentially throw at a project compared to today, and just look at where some initial prototypes can end up in two years right now with enough funding and staff.

I'm having difficulty easily articulating some of my objections, so admittedly part of it may be a case of rose-tinted glasses and "status quo is preferable".

Just as much, however, I can clearly explain: One of the things I always liked about capsuleers was the dynamic of the physically weak chessmaster. A capsuleer had to play from the shadows, leveraging their wealth and influence because face-to-face they were still the same as the rest of us. Among the stars, we were demigods; in the flesh, we were as mortal as the bum on the streetcorner. It lent a very real vulnerability and humanizing aspect to the inhuman nature of the capsuleer's consciousness ensconced in his kilometer-long warship of death.

This removes that. Why should a capsuleer stick to the shadows when he can walk into an enemy stronghold in a muscled-up clone inside a battlesuit, go down guns blazing, and wake up a moment later remembering it all? What is the point of playing the political and security games if pulling a Rambo is an equally viable possibility?

People may disagree with me on this, but rather than help characterize the EVE universe I think this actually homogenizes it. We are no longer unique as powerful-yet-vulnerable starship captains, and I see that as a loss.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #27 on: 04 May 2014, 19:25 »

Agreed, Esna.

Kyoko Sakoda

• Pod Captain
« Reply #28 on: 04 May 2014, 19:56 »

They said it couldn't be done.

They said in no way would it be profitable.

They said there would be no practical use for it in daily life.

But suddenly, in 2010, Apple released the iPad.

The world hasn't been the same since.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #29 on: 05 May 2014, 03:27 »

I'm having difficulty easily articulating some of my objections, so admittedly part of it may be a case of rose-tinted glasses and "status quo is preferable".

Just as much, however, I can clearly explain: One of the things I always liked about capsuleers was the dynamic of the physically weak chessmaster. A capsuleer had to play from the shadows, leveraging their wealth and influence because face-to-face they were still the same as the rest of us. Among the stars, we were demigods; in the flesh, we were as mortal as the bum on the streetcorner. It lent a very real vulnerability and humanizing aspect to the inhuman nature of the capsuleer's consciousness ensconced in his kilometer-long warship of death.

This removes that. Why should a capsuleer stick to the shadows when he can walk into an enemy stronghold in a muscled-up clone inside a battlesuit, go down guns blazing, and wake up a moment later remembering it all? What is the point of playing the political and security games if pulling a Rambo is an equally viable possibility?

People may disagree with me on this, but rather than help characterize the EVE universe I think this actually homogenizes it. We are no longer unique as powerful-yet-vulnerable starship captains, and I see that as a loss.

They transformed the dragons of shadowrun (or the vampires of WoD) into Daedras.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4