Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

When EVE first launched, the highest and most dangerous NPC imaginable was a 50k Cruiser?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: I need some input from you kind wonderful folks.  (Read 8866 times)

Jace

• Veteran
Re: I need some input from you kind wonderful folks.
« Reply #30 on: 07 Mar 2014, 23:25 »

You can't ignore what other people do in Eve, or it's the door open to solipsism everywhere.

Eve absolutely is solipsism everywhere.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #31 on: 08 Mar 2014, 04:49 »

Well I never had that issue before and it seems these days that it has become a true problem in itself. It's like putting more and more people of a specific channel into your own block list : the end result makes less and less sense overall. It's just silly.

Anyway, have fun I guess. =)

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #32 on: 08 Mar 2014, 06:18 »

I have created a flow chart to help in the decision process.
\o/

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #33 on: 08 Mar 2014, 06:24 »

That's a Brilliant chart Lou
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #34 on: 08 Mar 2014, 07:32 »

Well I never had that issue before and it seems these days that it has become a true problem in itself. It's like putting more and more people of a specific channel into your own block list : the end result makes less and less sense overall. It's just silly.

This notion is put under the perpetual concept of "why isn't there a lot of public RP anymore?". There are many reasons, but what we are talking about is one of them. Eve RP is about solipsism. The OOC drama we all see is caused by solipsism. The absurd factional splitting is because of solipsism. People writing off anything that happens in Summit or IGS is solipsism. Half of #bittervet is caused by solipsism.

Edit: Also, this obviously isn't unique to Eve RP. It is a common theme for roleplaying anywhere. People care about their characters, their stories. Everyone else is essentially treated as NPCs in their narrative. But when you have this happen to a nearly pandemic extent, people begin retreating with friends (or retreat altogether) into their own channels/pms, away from the public view in order to avoid it all. So now they have their own space, their own conversation, their own arcs, that can't be touched by that annoying solipsism of everyone else. Because, obviously, it is ruining their RP.

Pattern?
« Last Edit: 08 Mar 2014, 07:36 by Jace »

V. Gesakaarin

« Reply #35 on: 08 Mar 2014, 12:30 »

This notion is put under the perpetual concept of "why isn't there a lot of public RP anymore?". There are many reasons, but what we are talking about is one of them. Eve RP is about solipsism. The OOC drama we all see is caused by solipsism. The absurd factional splitting is because of solipsism. People writing off anything that happens in Summit or IGS is solipsism. Half of #bittervet is caused by solipsism.

Edit: Also, this obviously isn't unique to Eve RP. It is a common theme for roleplaying anywhere. People care about their characters, their stories. Everyone else is essentially treated as NPCs in their narrative. But when you have this happen to a nearly pandemic extent, people begin retreating with friends (or retreat altogether) into their own channels/pms, away from the public view in order to avoid it all. So now they have their own space, their own conversation, their own arcs, that can't be touched by that annoying solipsism of everyone else. Because, obviously, it is ruining their RP.

Pattern?

One day you accept that public RP is the province of Kafkian absurdity, cultivate a necessary degree of apathy towards it, and seek the refuge of sanity with people you enjoy interacting with.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #36 on: 08 Mar 2014, 22:04 »

One day you accept that public RP is the province of Kafkian absurdity, cultivate a necessary degree of apathy towards it, and seek the refuge of sanity with people you enjoy interacting with.

If this shit was Kafkaesque, I don't think anyone would ever leave.

V. Gesakaarin

« Reply #37 on: 08 Mar 2014, 22:40 »

If this shit was Kafkaesque, I don't think anyone would ever leave.

Isn't that why we're all still here?

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #38 on: 08 Mar 2014, 23:07 »

Isn't that why we're all still here?

I'm sticking with sheer solipsism. Solipsism binds us together.

V. Gesakaarin

« Reply #39 on: 08 Mar 2014, 23:22 »

Or the hope that things will somehow change for the better; without realizing things are always as they have been, and always will be.

The solipsist argument does work, not only with roleplayers only caring about their own characters and narratives, but also because of the fact that the majority of the playerbase in Eve probably disregards anything said either in the summit or on the IGS. As such, having your own character do much the same changes nothing at all in the grand scheme of things.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #40 on: 08 Mar 2014, 23:28 »

I don't necessarily think the solipsism is inherently bad, it just comes with its own baggage to deal with. Lack of public arcs being the primary baggage to deal with. The challenge is to interweave the solipsistic tendencies into a greater whole.

Also, "Solipsism binds us together" is a DFW line. Good stuff, that.

V. Gesakaarin

« Reply #41 on: 09 Mar 2014, 00:40 »

Well I'm sure those interested in public arcs and RP will continue to go on and do that. I tried that last year for the first six months, and no longer bother with it now. It's not that I've never been open to people wanting to interject themselves into my non-existent character narrative, but having reached the limits of asking myself, "Dear God, what is all this derps right here," With the interactions that developed.

Once having reached that limit, I at first felt a degree of frustration, then accepted it as just the way things are. As such these days I find it far more enjoyable to live behind a metaphorical iron curtain of my own creation where I don't have to care what anyone else character is doing and they don't have to care about what mine are doing. It's an status quo I'm coming to enjoy given the alternatives, and an effective QA tool of sorts to ensure that any interactions I do participate in are with those players and characters that won't shit me immensely.

Frankly, I'm having more fun right now playing the game, exploring the lore, and writing a piece of fiction here and there than I ever did trying to roleplay and interact in public - which I use only now if I feel the need to act out a shift in character persona or opinion and agenda setting, then leave it at that.

I don't feel I'm alone in having gone this route, and as far as I can see unless you come within the area of an established RP social circle, clique, or group that's retreated into private channels and networks then I guess there's the only option of all the characters in one man corps, NPC corps, and isolated individuals that want to act out their solipsist fantasies in public.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #42 on: 09 Mar 2014, 00:49 »

Obviously, if someone enjoys how they play there is no reason to change. #morepower

That being said, for those that wish they had a group of friends to regularly channel RP/arc with, it is obviously impossible to find unless they are dedicated in their random interactions until they find those people. I personally find it enjoyable once you find that, and I also think it is worthwhile to help others find it. But if someone isn't interested in channel RP in the first place, then obviously none of this will matter or be worthwhile. Derp is relative. For those that find the concept of channel RP to be kind of derpy in and of itself, they will find derp around every corner.

V. Gesakaarin

« Reply #43 on: 09 Mar 2014, 01:52 »

I find it can be less about the channels themselves and more the characters in them. The question for me is whether I can be bothered to feel like having to wade through the septic tank of the same, rehashed arguments, attempts at contrived shock and attention grabs, and whatever inane ooc/ic drama has developed in public channels.

It's always going to be a balance between tolerance of such, and the actual objective of networking with people and characters that appear worthwhile, for myself at least.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #44 on: 09 Mar 2014, 02:02 »

It just comes down to the range of "characters worthwhile" or interactions worthwhile. If that is very narrow, then the majority of channel stuff and actual character involvement isn't going to be worth it for someone. Which then makes it so their character has a difficult time meeting any new "worthwhile" characters, then doesn't have any interactions because of it, and then essentially no longer RPs except with a very narrow group of people they already know - if they have that. If they don't, then RP dies altogether for the player.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6