Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

debris from starship combat near planets sometimes survives re-entry, as when a relay station on Yong III was destroyed by debris after a fierce fight in low orbit on 27.08YC105.

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17

Author Topic: Who's left in RP?  (Read 32152 times)

Laurentis Thiesant

• Egger
Re: Who's left in RP?
« Reply #210 on: 31 Jul 2014, 06:38 »

I find the vast majority of public RP these days such as in the Summit/s or IGS particularly formulaic and predictable, honestly. It feels like the real preference is to just go through the motions of the same old cliches and factional tropes, that there's nothing really engaging or new because for a lot of topics and participants you can already pretty much auto-generate in your head what's going to be said just based on past experience.

I mean okay, missionary can be cool and all most days but you know sometimes you wonder when you're going to be able to get to throw your car keys in the bowl once in awhile.

^

* Laurentis Thiesant ignores the fact that V is probably talking about me.

V. Gesakaarin

« Reply #211 on: 31 Jul 2014, 07:40 »

I find the vast majority of public RP these days such as in the Summit/s or IGS particularly formulaic and predictable, honestly. It feels like the real preference is to just go through the motions of the same old cliches and factional tropes, that there's nothing really engaging or new because for a lot of topics and participants you can already pretty much auto-generate in your head what's going to be said just based on past experience.

I mean okay, missionary can be cool and all most days but you know sometimes you wonder when you're going to be able to get to throw your car keys in the bowl once in awhile.

^

Well I didn't really think you were the kind to want to have a car key party. Who knows maybe if you're lucky you can fly off with me into the night in my Condor?

Laurentis Thiesant

• Egger
« Reply #212 on: 31 Jul 2014, 07:46 »

^

Well I didn't really think you were the kind to want to have a car key party. Who knows maybe if you're lucky you can fly off with me into the night in my Condor?

Yes.
Whatever this means, yes.  Ok.

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #213 on: 31 Jul 2014, 08:48 »

In answer to the original post:

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Dessau

« Reply #214 on: 31 Jul 2014, 10:23 »

Quite frankly, I'm just pissed at the amount of people on IGS who constantly post and try to comment on current affairs yet they haven't touched the game in weeks, months, or longer. It's a dissuading force from me hopping on there, because there's nothing I can do to them outside of refuse to like their posts, damnit.

I've recently been sitting in private conversation-like channels with at least two individuals; one of which is a channel for just asking odd, peculiar questions about the other character to help character build. It's a fun little activity that makes me smile and keep wanting to flesh out Charles more and more. The other is an active RP thing that at least keeps me interested in roleplay. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I completely sympathize on the 'correspondence chess' school of EVE RP, as I am guilty of it myself and realize the shortfall of content it leaves. Sometimes I just want an option to maintain presence when my access to the client is limited.

Other times it's the only form of interaction that makes sense. I suspect it's simply a hazard of playing outside the faction loyalist realm.

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #215 on: 31 Jul 2014, 13:46 »

The comment itself was passive-aggressive flamebait designed to make someone take it personal, call him on it, and derail the thread - just not to the point of making me moderate it or report it to bring it in front of the team for discussion.  Poking him to go ahead and be more direct about it is no more productive.

I don't see how it was 'designed' to do all that.
[admin]You don't have to.[/admin]

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #216 on: 01 Aug 2014, 05:17 »

Quite frankly, I'm just pissed at the amount of people on IGS who constantly post and try to comment on current affairs yet they haven't touched the game in weeks, months, or longer. It's a dissuading force from me hopping on there, because there's nothing I can do to them outside of refuse to like their posts, damnit.

Some of us don't have the time to play anymore, and the occasional post brings us back to the comfort zone we used to live in.

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
« Reply #217 on: 01 Aug 2014, 06:02 »

Also, there a re a lot of people posting on the IGS, logging in on EVE regularly, but you won't be actually able to 'do' anything to them in EVE anyway.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #218 on: 04 Aug 2014, 13:13 »

Considering a few things atm.

1) Are there people that stopped playing that could be interested in RP-ing again ?
2) Is there a way to circumvent the (very understandable) trend for players consisting to RP in their own private little circles as a way of protection against fast food RP as found in the summit and similar channels (most of the time, not always) ? Meaning, is there a way to pierce through those private circles to find RP for people that do not have the right connections (besides skilling RP connections to 5) ?
3) People left RP-ing but having stopped playing seriously to the game for a while are more numerous that I initially thought it seems. How is constantly spitting on them for the simple reason that "they do not have any tangible, measurable epeen ingame so they should stop self masturbating with their grand RP declarations" helping the matter ? More precisely, are people ready to just RP their characters together with them, playing rhetorics with them, and doing all the RP stuff that can be found besides the game (that we can consider very limited or not RP wise depending on the eye of the beholder) ? Or are people only interested in pew pew RP (because even ingame activities like mining and running missions is not worth more than being seen as an insignificant insect) ?
4) How to reconcile the unreconcilable, which are those stupid timezones ?

Personally considering returning only for RP and investing myself in it (still not interested in the game) in spite of the price, but considering some players relations towards point 3), it's rather disheartening. Also, point 2) is the biggest hurdle imo.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #219 on: 04 Aug 2014, 17:09 »

Can't speak to some of the others, but on the Amarr end we've done fairly well by the simple measure of having an IC channel open to anyone playing an Amarr, Khanid, Ammatar, or otherwise faithful character, backed up by a moderation team willing to handle people getting out of hand. We also have an OOC channel for Amarrtypes as well as any non-Amarr interested in doing an Amarr-related event, arc, or just discussion/questions. These don't necessarily have the most RP in them, but they do serve as good jump-off points to meet and get involved with people.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread
« Reply #220 on: 05 Aug 2014, 09:21 »

Considering a few things atm.
1) Are there people that stopped playing that could be interested in RP-ing again ?
Well, yeah. I haven't even really stopped yet, but I'm thinking of coming back once I've upgraded my hardware a bit. I've got some ideas for an new char. It's always been the racing that made me start the client again, but it's always been the RP that kept me around long after the races stopped again.
2) Is there a way to circumvent the (very understandable) trend for players consisting to RP in their own private little circles as a way of protection against fast food RP as found in the summit and similar channels (most of the time, not always) ? Meaning, is there a way to pierce through those private circles to find RP for people that do not have the right connections (besides skilling RP connections to 5) ?
Good question. Not sure if this is an answer, but I tend to find decent RP in Capsuleer venues and social gatherings of all sorts, and meet interesting characters there.
3) People left RP-ing but having stopped playing seriously to the game for a while are more numerous that I initially thought it seems. How is constantly spitting on them for the simple reason that "they do not have any tangible, measurable epeen ingame so they should stop self masturbating with their grand RP declarations" helping the matter ? More precisely, are people ready to just RP their characters together with them, playing rhetorics with them, and doing all the RP stuff that can be found besides the game (that we can consider very limited or not RP wise depending on the eye of the beholder) ? Or are people only interested in pew pew RP (because even ingame activities like mining and running missions is not worth more than being seen as an insignificant insect) ?
How can it be masturbation if you don't have tangible epeen? It sounds more like autoerotic fantasizing. :lol:
Anyway, it's probably not helping a lot?
Playing rethorics with them, I have no problem with. My char does have some problems with grand declarations if he thinks they are overly pompous.
Speaking personally, and I know I'm somewhat of a rarity, but my main is Ché, and Ché is pretty pacifistic, so not much pew-pew RP for me so far.
Quit your 9-5 job and marry someone who works irregular hours.
« Last Edit: 05 Aug 2014, 09:25 by Ché Biko »
-OOChé

Lyn Farel

« Reply #221 on: 05 Aug 2014, 09:58 »

For 4 i meant more that a lot of RPers did their time with the game itself and still continued RPing besides. It was very frowned upon or right away aggressively attacked by some RPers that considered that they held no right to continue RPing since they were not really participating in space too. Especially not pew pewing to make their point across.

Karmilla Strife

• Omelette
« Reply #222 on: 05 Aug 2014, 13:18 »

Can't speak to some of the others, but on the Amarr end we've done fairly well by the simple measure of having an IC channel open to anyone playing an Amarr, Khanid, Ammatar, or otherwise faithful character, backed up by a moderation team willing to handle people getting out of hand. We also have an OOC channel for Amarrtypes as well as any non-Amarr interested in doing an Amarr-related event, arc, or just discussion/questions. These don't necessarily have the most RP in them, but they do serve as good jump-off points to meet and get involved with people.

There is a similar IC channel for Minmatar RP that is fairly active.

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain
« Reply #223 on: 05 Aug 2014, 14:12 »

Laurentis: for reference - "Throwing your keys in the bowl" the start of Swinger's party, in which married couples go home with different partners for sexual encounters at the end of the social party part of the night.

The moral of the story is you should be very careful as to what you agree to do with Veikitamo. ;)

Anyway, the questions.  Yeah there are ways, but see, everyone who is a bittervet (or a returning vet) is also a metagamer and a PvP speciliaist, and anyone not waving your corporate flag - is an enemy.

Don't bite my head off yet, let me explain. ;)

EVE is about the meta.  It's nearly unconciously ingrained in us.  Would we walk our character into a room with a group of people we basically know OOCly are evil fucks (they MUST BE.  If they weren't, we would have been *friends IC with them already*.)?  Even with an OOC promise of 'You will not not be bled Dry, infected with Nanites, or be forced to go to Church every Sunday' as some varying examples of Eve-vil ;)  .. people will start even generating connections in their heads (and if quicker, parsing Summit logs of years) to find where they heard each bad thing that would IC-ly in a "PREVENT RP META CAUSE AINT SUPPOSED TO DO THAT!" way to prevent their char from going to that place in the first place. You can META-LOSE as easily as you can META-WIN, and in general, none of us wanna lose. (Topic was disccused earlier/elsewhere), which.. forces us internally to meta to not meta to meta again. See?

Say you can *avoid* all that with OOC pre-planning.  Well, now we're scriptwriting.  Some roleplayers in some communities have no issue doing that sort of shit and more power to them - I was always a wild card 'you see what you get' sort of person and that seems to fit with the emergent gameplay dynamic which is EVE.  That very dynamic though prevents scriptwriting - one person does one thing and breaks someone's script, and woops, OOC feelings get hurt, people don't know how to shoot from the hip.. I don't friggin' know.  It's always a mess.  People get mad enough that they can't change another character's mind IC with what they OOCly fell is "steel trap logic!!!" .. Imagine these archetypes of players trying to scriptwrite and then rolling with it when 'someone ruins it'.

(As an aside, RPing here i finally feel more like the rule than the exception when it comes to RP.  I used to love blowing people's minds to smithereens in EQ2 cause it never seemed to occur to people that somoneone saying something in character could actually be lying, and then never actually tell that person OOC it is a lie -- and that was fair.  I'd never OOCly tell them I told the truth (and be OOC lying)- but I never told them I was ICly lying either, this telling them the truth.  But,  I mean, come on.  a Good Templar is going to HELP an evil ceremony?  Their fault for being stupid, not mine or the 12 other players I brought with me..  ;) )

And that is THE THING, or -- that's where in my observations - a lot of fractioning started and stayed and has been for.. well, forever.

These people can not go to this place because THEY WILL RUIN IT, and they can not have alts in our corp because OOC META.

Maybe somewhere somewhen (checks watch) mm last incident I can think of is at least a .. year.. old.. now.. of some faction ZYZed showed up and RUINED A THING.  An RP thing, robbed a corporate hangar with an alt, whatever.

We're EVE Players.  We have long memories.  We remember the "a thing" happening even if that person isn't playing anymore.  We remember the thing even if it was 2, 3, 4, years ago.  There is still a name thrown around of someone I have literally never seen as if this person's head is going to pop up on IGS any second, and I think they were gone 6 months before I started RPing.

And the other side does, if they're active still.. well.  They remember too.  It widens, like a gulf, and has been widening, for months and months and months.  Once in awhile there has been some nose touching, but the number of those noses has been getting ess and less.

The Community Leader types of people we've had are vanishing.  I don't mean the ZOMG THESE ARE EVIL RINGLEADERS (and they may be to some -- but guess what,  they ARE community leaders to others, and YOUR community leader is an evil ring-leader to the other side of the fences...) but all of them, those painted with both brushes, or solely one brush, or the other brush, are vanishing, having run completely out of Fucks for Bullshit.

Anyway.

Which is why I said - send an EVEmail to people!  The first EVEmail I ever sent to Shere?

I had NEVER SPOKEN TO HER IN MY LIFE IC OR OOC. - I JUST KNEW SHE WAS A RESEARCHER.

Throw crap in your bio that might make another Capsuleer contact you.  Find some idle reason to contact another Capsuleer.

This isn't D&D.  Not every adventure needs to start in a bar.

Specially since, most bars are factional, and why? Not because they were DESIGNED as such, but because we as a community DEFINED them as such, based on the creator, its location in space, etc.

Which creepily, this stream of concious nonsense has proved that the RP community has turned into a metaphorical pile of squealing miner carebears who don't wanna lose a ship or fly one with guns on.

But anyway. ;)

Andreus Ixiris

• Omelette
« Reply #224 on: 07 Aug 2014, 12:58 »

Only if people start taking the task fo dealing with elements and people that are genuinely toxic to the community seriously.

Again, I feel like getting our proverbial church roof in order would be extremely helpful in this regard. I feel like a major reason people keep to their own little circles is because they can thusly control contact with people they've become tired of having to interact with if they roleplay in public. I know for sure as hell that's what happened with me.

I find people who continue roleplaying but make it impossible or impractical to interact with them in any other way incredibly boring, so I just tend to ignore them.

Just call it what it is - sleep schedules. People get used to sleeping for eight hours a day at a fairly certain time, so when they sleep is when they sleep.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17