Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Emperor Heideran VII died on 17.09YC105  of Turit Disease just two weeks after the publication of his opus 'Pax Amarria'.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 17

Author Topic: Who's left in RP?  (Read 32187 times)

Charles Cambridge Schmidt

• Professional Sperg
  • Wetgraver
  • Federalista
Re: Who's left in RP?
« Reply #120 on: 17 Jul 2014, 02:32 »

Sometimes losing is just as important as winning.  Having your mind changed is just as important as standing your ground.
Too many people focus on THEIR story, and not enough on THE story.

Quoted for absolute god damn truth. This is an enormous thing that plenty of people tend to forget in the scheme of things; if you want fruit out of an RP relationship (not necessarily romantic, of course), you have to hear them talk, have to hear what they say, how they say it, and hold back on your "Yeah... I know that feeling. I have it all the time because I'm a lonely Quafe addict snorting Crash up my eye for ISK, yeaaaaaah. Feel bad for me yet? What were you talking about?"

People (a broad generalization of description-less masses) have an aversion to losing, which is natural. Not saying anyone should be super duper stoked for losing a ship or an argument. At least, like Ari said, entertain that possibility. Sometimes, letting yourself lose (while RPing that you're trying but losing anyway or something) can be really conducive to roleplay and make things a lot more dramatic or satisfying or etc etc etc

because it's a pain in the ass when two brick walls start slapping on each other over who's more important.
Drones are pretty cool, I guess.

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #121 on: 17 Jul 2014, 03:35 »

Having read over this thread several times, it seems to me that there needs to be a distinct shift in the attitude of the Rp community. Instead of complaining about not getting any Rp, people need to be more willing to go out and make some.

There needs to be less focus on "winning" and more on the enjoyment of the story and social aspects. The community needs to be more open to new ideas, (something I know I can struggle with on occasion), and be more willing to guide new Rpers instead of shouting "wrong!" and ostracising them.

It almost seems to be a struggle against apathy more than anything else. People certaintly want to Rp, but they don't want to expend a great deal of effort, or put too much time or assets at risk. To put it bluntly, people want to be spoonfed their Rp and complain when they don't get it.

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Laurentis Thiesant

• Egger
« Reply #122 on: 17 Jul 2014, 04:00 »

Having read over this thread several times, it seems to me that there needs to be a distinct shift in the attitude of the Rp community. Instead of complaining about not getting any Rp, people need to be more willing to go out and make some.

There needs to be less focus on "winning" and more on the enjoyment of the story and social aspects. The community needs to be more open to new ideas, (something I know I can struggle with on occasion), and be more willing to guide new Rpers instead of shouting "wrong!" and ostracising them.

It almost seems to be a struggle against apathy more than anything else. People certaintly want to Rp, but they don't want to expend a great deal of effort, or put too much time or assets at risk. To put it bluntly, people want to be spoonfed their Rp and complain when they don't get it.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #123 on: 17 Jul 2014, 05:56 »

You can definitely get people interested in what you're doing. That's how I built my corp. It was a long process, and it was hard, and it was slow, but we've built a pretty awesome group of people. Its totally doable, its just not easy.

It asks for OOC really good social skills, which is definitely not something that everyone has. Actually, people with the right set of skills to create a successful group of players that attracts everyone inside because it's cool and all, are pretty rare.

It is often systematically assumed by those people that everyone can do it the same way they did, which is not. I tried myself several corps over the years, and none of those worked. And it's not the faction that matter so much, but the OOC behind.
It requires time and effort much more then it does social skills tbh. Really all you need for a successful corp is a plan, content to keep your members busy and to not be a giant douche. The plan is easy, the content is the hard part as the majority of eve players want to be entertained with having to do the entertaining and this will cost a fuckton of time early on until you find members that are also willing to entertain members. If you dont put in enough time members get bored go elsewhere so achieving critical mass is hard, but certainly possible.

That's precisely that, it asks for social skills, which also require a good amount of time. When I did that I had that amount of time, but not the necessary skills. It's not just about saying "today we do x", it's about setting a good atmosphere with a good social synergy, while all of this goes according to your RP, and not against it.

If you think that's it's just a matter of time, then it must be because you already have the right set of social and entertaining  skills. People who have usually tend not to notice.

Yes, but when they start to do it, either nobody follows (countless examples on this, either people not interested because it's not their thing, or either people that just do not want to play with X), or you just end up with not enough critical mass to do it (not enough factions and players inside, or people interested but with their IC loyalty getting in the way).

So, maybe your solution is also to find new blood.

Laurentis Thiesant

• Egger
« Reply #124 on: 17 Jul 2014, 06:15 »

So, maybe your solution is also to find new blood.

Which, if private channel RP is the only RP of quality that exists - will not happen and things will continue to fade. Public works are absolutely required, active investment in showing a story worth participating in is the only way to stem the loss.

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #125 on: 17 Jul 2014, 07:49 »

glhf with that part.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain
« Reply #126 on: 17 Jul 2014, 12:58 »

All in all it doesn't take much to moosh an RP community.  Specially when so many of them openly dislike or insult each other OOC.  At the end of the day we're still geeks at the D&D table.  We're gonna take our soda and chips and go home.

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #127 on: 17 Jul 2014, 18:54 »

Who's left in RP?

Not me anymore!  I'M FREE!
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain
« Reply #128 on: 18 Jul 2014, 02:35 »

I've come back.  Because yes.  And it's the sort of thing I do.

I could cling to bitter.

But why?

Just makes new people sad, or makes them think we all suck.

Karmilla Strife

• Omelette
« Reply #129 on: 18 Jul 2014, 07:27 »

The honest best experience in RP I have is in small private circles, sometimes just barP or going out for pizza and talking but it is always infinitely more rewarding than shooting nauplius down for the sixth time or wasting another day trying to catch Diana Kim in lowsec or anything like that.

private RP, with actors you like > else  IMO

I personally agree with this. I love seeing how characters interact in a normal environment instead of the public spectacle of the IGS. Some of my favorite RP moments are incredibly mundane compared to the epic grimdark eternal space conflict. Making dinner at home with Vince. A picnic with Esna. Drinking beers with Ava. Dancing with Literia, and several other events stand out in my mind as good RPs. My character may not be "winning" anything, but at least I'm having a good time.

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #130 on: 18 Jul 2014, 08:13 »

Who's left in RP?

You may check out, but you'll never really leave.

Charles Cambridge Schmidt

• Professional Sperg
  • Wetgraver
  • Federalista
« Reply #131 on: 18 Jul 2014, 09:13 »

When I was still new-ish, I remember a few individuals took note of some of the things I said and did and actually invited me to more private or at the very least less-public channels. It really made me feel a lot more welcome as well as give me incentive to continue on, and to that point, I do suggest more people try this.

Hopefully, that person you invite actually manages to step up his/her game and make that effort when it comes to their roleplay.

Quoted for the god damn flim flam truth. Unbelievably so with the "no, wrong!" stuff that happens. Though I do get correcting someone when they're like, "I shoot lasers from my dick-hole" or something, I've seen bittervets or people who just have their chins far to high try to discredit someone's idea because it's either unusual or something of the like.

For example, a new player mentioned that his family was relatively poor compared to other families in that system/station, saying that his parents were miners that worked on a Venture. Someone immediately chimed in and said that if his parents flew a Venture, that he was in no way, shape, or form, poor. Now, though that may be true, weren't there alternatives? I mean, come on. A lend-lease program isn't unheard of, especially when whoring for money is a big thing in New Eden.

tl;dr
less bitter less quitter
Drones are pretty cool, I guess.

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #132 on: 21 Jul 2014, 07:22 »

Who's left in RP?

Two years and counting, so far. I believe I've been winning Eve for longer than I was actually playing.

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #133 on: 21 Jul 2014, 12:27 »

Who's left in RP?

Two years and counting, so far. I believe I've been winning Eve for longer than I was actually playing.

And yet you are still here. It's only a matter of time.

We'll be waiting, here, in the shadows.

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #134 on: 21 Jul 2014, 14:18 »

Who's left in RP?

And yet you are still here. It's only a matter of time.

We'll be waiting, here, in the shadows.

I wish my work firewall didn't block every image host under the sun (except ESPN).

Alas, I feel that EVE is more fun to watch from arms length than it was to actually play. Imagining the stuff I'd like to accomplish is just as easy, and accomplishing it just as impossible, without any of the frustration of trying to do it.

I'm greatful for the stuff I learned from EVE about how awesome a sandbox game can be. I can now look at other games through a lens of sorts, and know what it is I'm looking for and what I'm not.

And I can sadly know that EVE isn't actually going to provide it. But I'll keep my eyes on Star Citizen, Elite: Dangerous, No Man's Sky, and some newly developing RP servers for Space Engineers.

EVE is more like an ant farm. Fascinating to watch without really needing to interact.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 17