Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Signatories to the Federal Charter retain the legal right to regulate shipping and security in their original territories, among other things? Read more here.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Why pay for a capsuleer?  (Read 4110 times)

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
Re: Why pay for a capsuleer?
« Reply #15 on: 16 Jan 2014, 14:47 »

Well, in various missions you have glances of stellar activities of the different corps.
Sometimes you need to deliver mining stuff to a station and they will send it to a colony in space. Or you have to clean trade routes, or assist merchants that are being attacked by pirates, even attack enemy corps of your contractor and you can see (and shoot) npc mining ships. So, I believe that a lot of stuff are happening in space all the time, and capsuleer is a resource like everything else (with some specialties)

Yes, there are some missions that have things going on that would support the notion that the universe contains a lot more than is observable by the game mechanics.

Then you have things like the novels, where the head of the Minmatar Republic says that capsuleers, not the Republic Fleet, will protect the whole of the Republic.

It is a bit contradictory.
\o/

Lyn Farel

« Reply #16 on: 17 Jan 2014, 12:50 »

It used to be suggested, in the PF, that there was more than was observable ingame. That the universe was a bustling hive of activity, with megacorporations vast interstellar commerce fleets transporting goods across light years. And that the freelance capsuleer, was a significant development in terms of a plausibly deniable contractor, as well as the capsuleer and their organisations being well placed to exploit the frontier regions of space.

Now, it seems to be very much the case that the PF is in the direction of, what you see, is all there is. Making it a mystery how any of the megacorporations make any money, because they certainly do not engage in interstellar trade. They barely operate interplanetary trade. Blah blah, immortal semigod podders etc. Futur of civilisation.

vOv

Heh, yes, that's a trend I have seen emerging among players too, where only what's done or seen in space matters and all that. Or more precisely, that the limited gameplay mechanisms constitute the whole universe.

Well, poor universe then. It would be rather empty.

Jikk

• Patriarch
  • Clonejack
  • Magister Dixit
    • Maritime Games
« Reply #17 on: 17 Jan 2014, 13:05 »

It used to be suggested, in the PF, that there was more than was observable ingame. That the universe was a bustling hive of activity, with megacorporations vast interstellar commerce fleets transporting goods across light years. And that the freelance capsuleer, was a significant development in terms of a plausibly deniable contractor, as well as the capsuleer and their organisations being well placed to exploit the frontier regions of space.

Now, it seems to be very much the case that the PF is in the direction of, what you see, is all there is. Making it a mystery how any of the megacorporations make any money, because they certainly do not engage in interstellar trade. They barely operate interplanetary trade. Blah blah, immortal semigod podders etc. Futur of civilisation.

vOv

Heh, yes, that's a trend I have seen emerging among players too, where only what's done or seen in space matters and all that. Or more precisely, that the limited gameplay mechanisms constitute the whole universe.

Well, poor universe then. It would be rather empty.

Wait.. what? You and me sir distinctively differ - after all any mechanism should be exploited in order to further develop ones own narrative. I truly pity anyone who fails to see the beauty and muse-like quality that a context can provide. After all, if you want your own setting, then why not define this rather than using something, which you clearly don't use or appreciate, as a crutch.
« Last Edit: 17 Jan 2014, 13:31 by Jikk »
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

Lyn Farel

« Reply #18 on: 17 Jan 2014, 16:03 »

What ? I never said that...  :eek:

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #19 on: 19 Jan 2014, 06:59 »

Another common theory is that, because of the supposed rarity of the combination of genetic capsule compability with the physical/mental capability to avoid mindlock, anyone who's able to get through it is worth investing in. A sizable number of capsuleers that are 'unbound' by loyalty to a faction is a natural result of simply meeting a quota of required loyalist capsuleers.

There's probably some arrangement that details how many they need to come out of the program and side with the empires directly - there are precisely ZERO player characters who are, by game mechanics, actually proper-loyal to a faction. But that doesn't mean there aren't any at all - there's actually quite a large number of loyalist capsuleers; they're NPCs and event actors.

We're just not good enough, or weren't needed to meet the quota.

This was largely my take on it. With a side order of mysterious benefactor fries.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #20 on: 19 Jan 2014, 11:09 »

Three points I'll make, two of which have been missed (I think) and one which has been to some degree discussed before.

First, the matter of nullsec alliances and where they live. It's no secret that the 'best' null territory is that with the highest number and value of complexes - that is to say, the places where the most damage can be inflicted on NPC pirate factions. While the sheer numbers of facilities wrecked, ships destroyed, and crew killed are in this day colossally inflated to the point of absurdity, I don't think we should deny the damage capsuleers do to NPC pirate factions either. Every day, hundreds if not thousands of capsuleers happily sit in their null regions and suppress the far more dangerous pirate factions, providing a valuable service to the Big 4 and CONCORD.

Second, there's the economic benefit of capsuleers. Anyone who does industry can testify that highsec research and production ques sponsored by NPC factions are constantly busy; lowsec still has a healthy bit of R&D going on as well. We also pay taxes to the Big 4 and/or CONCORD on our reprocessing, buy/sell orders,  repair fees, etc etc - every bit of that is business. Nullsec alliances pay fantastic tax fees directly to CONCORD for the right to claim a system as their own. Unfortunately, this reasoning has been hit by the mechanics-derp hard in recent years - the fees for using those NPC assembly lines, for instance, are really freakishly low - but the concept is there in the original design: Don't let the 'capsuleers are free' lines from the trailers fool you; we are intimately bound up in the empires' economic systems.

Finally, there's the matter of the capsuleer as the tradesman. This is still hinted at in missions, but used to be much more obvious in some of the profitable buy/sell routes for NPC trade orders before they were removed: We have impressive mobility compared to NPC traders, and so form an important step in the Big 4's need for fast (and relatively safe) transport of goods between systems, constellations, even regions. Unfortunately, this aspect has been hammered hard as profitable NPC trade routes were nuked out of the game, largely because they were entirely static (zero skill needed to locate and take advantage of) and were heavily exploited by bot haulers.
I would very much like to see a return of short-term pseudorandom NPC buy orders, which could be taken advantage of by observant players for moderate profit (above the currently remaining, relatively unprofitable NPC trade routes but below the higher-skill/risk/profit business of playing the market against other players) to give the world a much more "living" feel.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Norrin Ellis

• Manager, EVE Online Hold'Em
  • Wetgraver
    • EVE Online Hold'Em
« Reply #21 on: 19 Jan 2014, 15:53 »

If you have a problem...
If no one else can help...
And if you can find them...
Maybe you can hire...

Capsuleers

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #22 on: 19 Jan 2014, 18:04 »

If you have a problem...
If no one else can help...
And if you can find them...
Maybe you can hire...

Capsuleers

Norrin wins the thread.

/close

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #23 on: 20 Jan 2014, 03:36 »

I also realised that our mere existence creates jobs. By existing, we keep clone bay operators and technicians in business. By doing P.I. we provide employment for who knows how many thousand immigrant workers per planet. By buying things we are putting money into the hands of brokerage companies. By buying ships we are feeding how many factory workers? By mining solo we are putting money into the pockets of how many heavy machine operators again?

Us capsuleers require alot of support for our day-to-day operations, which is something I only just realised. That would be one reason why the Empires keep cranking out capsuleers out of anyone who won the genetic lottery.
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain
« Reply #24 on: 20 Jan 2014, 13:35 »

We pay millions of ISK for new shoes.

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread