Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Defiants were a splinter group of the Minmatar fleet that waged guerrilla war against the Amarr?

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Leaving Eve.  (Read 1126 times)

Vikarion

Leaving Eve.
« on: 14 Jan 2014, 00:07 »

Well, I'm not sure if this is the right spot, but a mod is free to move it or delete it.

Anyway, I'm leaving Eve. Or rather, I've left Eve. I nearly did during Incarna, but CCP got me back by actually listening. So I thought I'd wait and make sure I was really not interested anymore. And, I'm not. I've been un-subbed for about a month (as in, it ran out a month ago).

If you want to know why, I think it's largely the combination of ever increasing real-life busy-ness, and my waning interest with the back story and play-style of Eve. To the latter, I've always been a bit of a soloist, and CCP has repeatedly nerfed soloing, from missions, to making it impossible to render yourself scan-proof.

But I think the really big thing, the thing without which I'd still be subscribed, was the whole Caldari Prime debacle, and the feed-the-nullies operation that followed it. I was really frustrated by that, and while it is true that nothing in a game lasts, I was frustrated at the lack of any elegance, grace, or choice in the story.

I liked getting invested, at least for an hour or two a week, in faux-hating the other guy, in momentary triumphs. I loved the chance to actually have a game make me feel just a little irritated when I lost a ship to the hated Galmil, or grin for a moment when I ambushed and killed someone who was smacking in local. I liked the stories made, the sense of choice.

I didn't like it when CCP handed Heth Caldari Prime, particularly without player input - as I've noted enough to make people sick of hearing me - and I blamed TonyG for that sort of writing. Then player involvement was used to railroad the same sort of action, just in reverse. That wasn't TonyG. That was CCP - and CCP who essentially used RPers and non-nullies as a treat for the null-sec alliances. I have lost faith even with CCP's good intentions. I think that Eve is largely a sow from which the piglets of a failed shooter and the WoD MMO suckle.

I'm not bitter about that, and it is only my opinion. I hope anyone here who is still playing has a blast, and I won't promise that I'll never be back. I doubt it, however. Eve is the only MMO I ever played for long, and that was largely because it felt alive, changing, and chaotic. Now it feels predictable, stagnant, and...well, paradoxically, empty.

I have a lot of good memories from Eve. Griefing as a newbie, attacking other newbies in wars. RPing Sansha-lite with Cia, Petra, and others. Running missions with uncloaked ravens in Syndicate, and pushing Requiem out of Fountain alongside PL. Dismantling the Ordo Magna and assassinating a member for a contract, running Angel missions in Curse and transporting contraband through null and low sec. Exploring wormholes and messing around with deadspace complexes. Turning the tide of the last Gallente push with Liandri, and starting the battle of Asakai with our troll-tower - and then making billions off of the fighters and fighter-bombers that dropped. I enjoyed Eve, and I hope you did too.

Fly safe.
-Vik

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
Re: Leaving Eve.
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jan 2014, 02:12 »

Sad to see you go. Another Caldari player bites the dust. ... and not the 514 one either. :(

Take care, and be safe.

inb4 "Can I have your stuff"

Lyn Farel

« Reply #2 on: 14 Jan 2014, 06:24 »

I sympathize since I am in the same situation and opinion regarding the game and CCP. Even if I did not play for the same reasons and had a different enjoyment than you, I came to hold the same disbeliefs...

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #3 on: 14 Jan 2014, 08:05 »

have good times in whatever you find yourself doing :)
\o/

Vic Van Meter

• Omelette
« Reply #4 on: 14 Jan 2014, 08:31 »

If you ever end up in Blizzard games, drop me a line!  I'll send you my RID.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #5 on: 14 Jan 2014, 13:11 »

Take care man, maybe we will meet again on Star Citizen

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread
« Reply #6 on: 14 Jan 2014, 14:11 »

Sounds like you had full life in EVE. Enjoy your others.
-OOChé

Vikarion

« Reply #7 on: 14 Jan 2014, 19:30 »

Wow, Che, thanks. That's awesome.

Utsukushi Shi

• Achur Temptress
  • Egger
  • Chuku Dansei
« Reply #8 on: 14 Jan 2014, 20:53 »

In the end you have to do what you find fun man. But if you ever get that itch come shoot some GalMil with us.
Sometimes one wants to get caught...

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #9 on: 15 Jan 2014, 06:51 »

Sad to see you go. Another Caldari player bites the dust. ... and not the 514 one either. :(
Actually, if I had a PS3, I would be playing DUST 514 instead of using my ISK reserves in PLEX for EVE-O.

It is free to play, allows for extremely casual play and while it has issues, it also has potential. Furthermore, it seems like the Event Team has been redirected to entertain DUST players to keep them interested, so I would be more involved story wise too.

Anyhow, Vic, you made your mark in EVE. Salute.
EVE Online Lorebook at eve-inspiracy.com

Natalcya Katla

• Captain farkin' Cardboard
  • Omelette
« Reply #10 on: 23 Jan 2014, 08:47 »

Fly safe, Vikarion.  :(
Ava Starfire > There is evil.
Ava Starfire > Outright evil.
Ruby Amatucci > Hello!

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #11 on: 23 Jan 2014, 08:55 »

I don't think we always saw eye to eye, Vik, but it sucks to see you go. Don't feel like you need to leave the forums even if you're not playing the game anymore.

Stay safe, and we'll keep the light on for you. :)
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #12 on: 23 Jan 2014, 17:42 »

Let me know when you find a new game worth living in.

I'm looking too, I could use a travelling partner I know.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Vikarion

« Reply #13 on: 23 Jan 2014, 23:18 »

Thanks guys. Ruby, you were awesome.  :D

Morwen, I actually don't remember getting into more than one or two arguments with you, though I do know I was around to watch many of the arguments you had with others.  :P

Grae - mostly I've been playing Baldur's gate, when I have time. Unfortunately, not multiplayer.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #14 on: 24 Jan 2014, 07:17 »

Yeah same. Not much games worth living in...

Fly safe.
Pages: [1] 2