Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That crews from destroyed capsuleer ships make up a substantial part of Blood Raider harvests? (The Burning Life, p. 59)

Author Topic: NaNoWriMo  (Read 1887 times)

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey
NaNoWriMo
« on: 05 Nov 2013, 03:23 »

As you may know, National Novel Writing Month is upon us. It's an event that's happened every November for several years now; would-be writers hunker over their keyboards, typewriters, and notepads while striving for one elusive goal: write a 50,000 word novel in one month.

The idea is that 'writers write.' One of the biggest impediments for new writers is simply getting lots of words on the page. Novel writing is a marathon. Lots of people start a book only to never finish it because writing day-in, day-out is difficult.

NaNoWriMo attempts to help by both creating an 'event' out of writing, setting a solid goal, and having the focus be on producing. It's not about writing the best you can write, it's about giving yourself permission to crap as long as you manage to do so every day.

Here's the website.

I am currently at 6,936 words so far, slightly above the word goal. I have a friend who's dedicated to harassing me about the event, and I've found it's been a blessing.

This thread is for anyone who's going NaNoWriMo, or who is an (aspiring) novelist. Talk about writing, your goals, or commiserate about obstacles you've encountered.
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Odelya

Re: NaNoWriMo
« Reply #1 on: 05 Nov 2013, 03:39 »

I need that signature stuff for my PhD! :eek:

Kunarian

• Clonejack
« Reply #2 on: 05 Nov 2013, 03:45 »

I forgot about NaNoWriMo! I might try to start from today or tomorrow or something. I love writing but I fear my story-bones have gone rusty but still it can't hurt to try eh? maybe an EVE themed or inspired story would be good seeming as it's on my mind most of the time at the moment...

Out of interest what is your novel about?

Repentence Tyrathlion

• Omelette
  • RIP?
« Reply #3 on: 05 Nov 2013, 06:07 »

Tried it once a few years ago.  Haven't had time since.  Maybe next year though...

AOkazon

• Wetgraver
  • 'zis is going to be ze awezome.
« Reply #4 on: 05 Nov 2013, 08:33 »

Hypothetically I'm doing it but I've been sick and my word count is basically 0 for the year. Furthermore I'm cheating by continuing the failed ms from last year.

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
« Reply #5 on: 05 Nov 2013, 10:25 »

I hope you get better soon.

Playing catch-up is difficult as the pace is rather high. 1,667 words a day is doable, but if you skip for even three days, you're now looking at trying to come up with 5,000 words in a day. Possible, but far from fun.

I need that signature stuff for my PhD! :eek:
I have a few friends who use them to advertize their exercise/weight loss progress. I am unsure of their actual utility, but suspect their main advantage is to remind me with every post that I ought to be doing something more productive.

I forgot about NaNoWriMo! I might try to start from today or tomorrow or something. I love writing but I fear my story-bones have gone rusty but still it can't hurt to try eh? maybe an EVE themed or inspired story would be good seeming as it's on my mind most of the time at the moment...

Out of interest what is your novel about?
It's a fantasy novel about a thief who gets captured and forced into her nation's budding intelligence community during a time of war and social upheaval. The focus is both on the novelty of what her organization is attempting to do - there is only a rudimentary intelligence network, there are few standard procedures,  and newly captured territories have very different cultures - as well as selling the utility of covert activities to a martially inclined nobility.

Tried it once a few years ago.  Haven't had time since.  Maybe next year though...
I skipped it last year due to having scheduling issues, so I understand how that it. That's not a problem for me this year though.
« Last Edit: 05 Nov 2013, 10:29 by Makkal »

Current Events

Vieve

• Unreliable Narrator
  • Omelette
  • The Dark Powers Are Always Happy To Help
« Reply #6 on: 09 Nov 2013, 19:22 »

*looks up, finally notices thread, facepalms*

I broke 20K -- 20,415 to be exact -- today on my wretched sci-fi thriller (which is freaking amazing considering I had deadlines for two work projects this week, and I've got two more to turn in before the end of the month, and then there's the other writing I'm working on...).  That's about 5,500 above today's official word count goal, and 2,415 words more than my own nine-day goal; I set my Target Average Words Per Day Goal to 2,000 instead of 1,667 because :Thanksgiving Prep:.  Given limited interruptions, an outline and a kickin' soundtrack, I can pound out 2,000 words in a couple of hours, assuming I don't stop to edit, read any research notes or stare at any bright shiny objects.

I've done NaNoWriMo four times.  This is the first time I've not taken a two-three year break between them.  This is also the first time I've ever used an outline (admittedly, mine's more of a worksheet) for a NaNo project, and so far ... knock on wood ... it's working out.  At least I haven't gotten any calls from any of my clients wondering why there are so many extended flashbacks and sheep metaphors in their SOWs, and for that reason alone, having invested some time creating the outline's been worth it.

Steffanie Saissore

• Knight Commander (in training)
  • Omelette
  • Lawful Good Pirate
    • Ebon Rose Forum
« Reply #7 on: 19 Nov 2013, 09:59 »

Did the challenge last year for the first time and managed to finish with 63,000 words (give or take a couple).
As of this morning, I am currently at 39,099 words for this year's challenge.
"And if the music stops, there's only the sound of the rain.  All the hope and glory, all the sacrifice in vain.  And if love remains though everything is lost, we will pay the price, but we will not count the cost."

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
« Reply #8 on: 20 Nov 2013, 02:22 »

As of this second (12:20 am) I am 24,801. I was 19,251 yesterday at this time yesterday. I think I am going to finish at 25,000 and then get some shut eye.

Current Events

Vieve

• Unreliable Narrator
  • Omelette
« Reply #9 on: 21 Nov 2013, 09:11 »

I'm at 47,244 as of this morning.

This time last Nano, I was at 29,308 (and I still beat the 50K -- barely -- 51,023), so I'm feeling a wee bit better about life.  That project finished out at a little over 200,000 words before I buried it in a dark hole to ferment.

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
« Reply #10 on: 23 Nov 2013, 06:20 »

...a little over 200,000 words...

I can't even.

Current Events

Vieve

• Unreliable Narrator
  • Omelette
« Reply #11 on: 26 Nov 2013, 04:35 »

...a little over 200,000 words...

I can't even.

Heh.  It'll be a lot shorter once it gets edited.  I tend to draft non-collaborative fiction in stream-of-(sub)consciousness mode, and edit in "Good grief, was I drunk or just insane?" mode.

Steffanie Saissore

• Knight Commander (in training)
  • Omelette
  • Lawful Good Pirate
    • Ebon Rose Forum
« Reply #12 on: 11 Dec 2013, 09:18 »

Well, managed to win my second NaNoWriMo challenge, though only at 54K words. This year, the story really didn't pan out and it became more an exercise to write than to actually write a story.

"And if the music stops, there's only the sound of the rain.  All the hope and glory, all the sacrifice in vain.  And if love remains though everything is lost, we will pay the price, but we will not count the cost."