Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That small robots called "cleaner bugs" are used to keep space station areas free of refuse? (The Burning Life p. 74)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: That Wasn't a Corp Spy, That Was the NSA!  (Read 2598 times)

Aldrith Shutaq

• Fleet Captain
  • Pod Captain
That Wasn't a Corp Spy, That Was the NSA!
« on: 09 Dec 2013, 11:52 »

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/dec/09/nsa-spies-online-games-world-warcraft-second-life

Clearly we need to upgrade our 1337 speak to a full blown code language now!

Vic Van Meter

• Omelette
Re: That Wasn't a Corp Spy, That Was the NSA!
« Reply #1 on: 09 Dec 2013, 11:57 »

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/dec/09/nsa-spies-online-games-world-warcraft-second-life

My mind is still blown that this is all so surprising to everyone.  We can just assume that someone on this board is the NSA and they're logging all the chat, looking to see if any of us are working for Al'Qaida.

That's kind of the point of the NSA.  They're sort of the Indian call center of the CIA that they send to do the long, boring slog through random chat systems to gather data.

Aldrith Shutaq

• Fleet Captain
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #2 on: 09 Dec 2013, 12:06 »

I just find it funny that intelligence analysts get assigned to Second Life and have to blend in with furries to get intel.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #3 on: 09 Dec 2013, 12:25 »

My mind is still blown that this is all so surprising to everyone.  We can just assume that someone on this board is the NSA and they're logging all the chat, looking to see if any of us are working for Al'Qaida.

That's kind of the point of the NSA.  They're sort of the Indian call center of the CIA that they send to do the long, boring slog through random chat systems to gather data.

This, really.

That said, I get the feeling that any NSA staff assigned to EVE would very quickly label everyone as a potential terrorist. :lol:
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #4 on: 09 Dec 2013, 12:53 »

One problem the paper's unnamed author and others in the agency faced in making their case – and avoiding suspicion that their goal was merely to play computer games at work without getting fired – was the difficulty of proving terrorists were even thinking about using games to communicate.

LOL

Vic Van Meter

• Omelette
« Reply #5 on: 09 Dec 2013, 13:04 »

One problem the paper's unnamed author and others in the agency faced in making their case – and avoiding suspicion that their goal was merely to play computer games at work without getting fired – was the difficulty of proving terrorists were even thinking about using games to communicate.

LOL

Why wouldn't they?

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #6 on: 09 Dec 2013, 19:25 »

I remember reading an article from when the very first NSA spying allegations broke, about how they were concerned about people using video games as giant VPNs, with the crowd to hide in. So yes, you may add me to the 'shocked this is a surprise at all' crowd.

Mind you, I don't think any terrorists are hiding in EVE. It's a very poor choice, considering that it costs money each month to use... and that we're a freakishly paranoid bunch whose internal security departments sometimes seem to be tighter than the NSA itself.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Aellos Lisetier

• Clonejack
« Reply #7 on: 09 Dec 2013, 20:10 »

I remember reading an article from when the very first NSA spying allegations broke, about how they were concerned about people using video games as giant VPNs, with the crowd to hide in. So yes, you may add me to the 'shocked this is a surprise at all' crowd.

Mind you, I don't think any terrorists are hiding in EVE. It's a very poor choice, considering that it costs money each month to use... and that we're a freakishly paranoid bunch whose internal security departments sometimes seem to be tighter than the NSA itself.

Well that and it's hard to co-ordinate your latest terrorist plot when you're too busy being scammed, ganked and steamrollered by a null-sec fleet who were on their way somewhere else every five seconds  :lol:
"And when we some day follow to the places they have been
We'll take the paths they've marked for us and see the sights they've seen
To Jupiter and Saturn, to the stars themselves we'll steer
And we pray that God but grant us then, the luck of the Pioneer" - Pioneer's song: J Ecklar, L Fish

Vic Van Meter

• Omelette
« Reply #8 on: 09 Dec 2013, 21:52 »

Hey, as far as they're concerned, it's worth it to buy a 20 dollar phone with a 10 dollar top up card to use once and throw away.  EVE membership would be cheaper, technically.

It might be more easily traceable, though, since the Internet's a pretty bad place to try to have covert dealings.  Particularly because information very rarely actually goes away on the Internet.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #9 on: 10 Dec 2013, 09:32 »

So. uh.

As a member of JIHADASQUAD I would like to welcome all of our new NSA members.  Thanks for joining!

Vic Van Meter

• Omelette
« Reply #10 on: 10 Dec 2013, 10:00 »

So. uh.

As a member of JIHADASQUAD I would like to welcome all of our new NSA members.  Thanks for joining!

You could really mess with them.  Just every now and then, insert a couple things that you know will be keywords in their search.  Throw in a couple "infidels", "embassies", and "holy month of Ramadans" and you should have at least a few thousand people watching your battle.

Maybe you could be sponsored.  Get Jimmy Johns to advertise so that whenever you attract an NSA agent's attention, he wants a sandwich.

Ollie

• Egger
« Reply #11 on: 11 Dec 2013, 00:54 »

There were reports going back 5 years or more regarding various illegal groups using free to play games, particularly ones based overseas. I think Wired did an article on organised crime making use of them, to avoid phone taps and attempt to confound some of the laws specifically targeting them in the US for however long it took the authorities to catch up with technology.

Druur Monakh

• Wetgraver
    • Hazardous Goods
« Reply #12 on: 11 Dec 2013, 23:28 »

This, really.

That said, I get the feeling that any NSA staff assigned to EVE would very quickly label everyone as a potential terrorist. :lol:

Except members of the GIA - those would be invited to their Cross-Intelligence Agency coordination group. And to teach seminars.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #13 on: 12 Dec 2013, 05:46 »

So. uh.

May I introduce you our best undercover agent. Formed over the years on Second Life in the Gorean community and made his teeth on Argent Dawn before setting up a brothel project in Elwynn on a pve server. He oriented his investigation on the server Kirin Tor following rumours of a virtual training camp for a salafi 5th column that would answer to the name of Stormwind Guard...

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette
« Reply #14 on: 14 Dec 2013, 22:52 »

Gah, we knew this and if you didn't you haven't been paying attention. One thing I find a little surprising and I'm not sure if it's just because how it is reported, but the news is saying they were playing these games, posing as players. I mean sure, to make their sigint info pulls possible, but I really don't think they're spending much time talking to players, infiltrating raids/ops, etc.
Pages: [1] 2