Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Aldrith Shutaq was once court poet and author in the service of the Etranhi Holders on Mishi IV? Read more here.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: "Meh"  (Read 7408 times)

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
Re: "Meh"
« Reply #45 on: 14 Nov 2013, 12:06 »

From time to time, I've noticed a few characters turn up, whose reason for existence seems to be to put someone else down.
Not that there's anything intrinsically wrong with that. A character who has seen what capsuleers do, and is reviled by it or whatever, is a valid idea.

The thing I mean, are characters that appear to be the equivalent of a rookieship alt scout.

In say, "the summit" channel, two characters are having a heated argument. Suddenly one of them logs off, and a relative unknown character appears, insults the other party to the argument, then vanishes again. The character that had logged off, then returns.

It appears fairly transparent, that the relative unknown is someone's Insult Alt, used in order to make denigratory comments about someone else, without any consequence to the "main".

Kind of amusing once or twice, but when there's a pattern that emerges, I find it somehow depressing.

CharacterA: You
CharacterB: No you
CharacterB logs off
CharacterC: A, you are a loathsome cretin whose mother should have strangled you at birth.
CharacterC logs off
CharacterB: huh, comms glitch, had to reboot. Anyway, I think we'll just have to agree to disagree, even though you're wrong.
CharacterA: No you.

In times past, I get the impression such conversations would have led to RP wars, or assassinations.

Maybe improved skin cream means people's trigger fingers aren't as itchy? vOv
\o/

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #46 on: 14 Nov 2013, 12:49 »

From time to time, I've noticed a few characters turn up, whose reason for existence seems to be to put someone else down.
Not that there's anything intrinsically wrong with that. A character who has seen what capsuleers do, and is reviled by it or whatever, is a valid idea.

The thing I mean, are characters that appear to be the equivalent of a rookieship alt scout.

In say, "the summit" channel, two characters are having a heated argument. Suddenly one of them logs off, and a relative unknown character appears, insults the other party to the argument, then vanishes again. The character that had logged off, then returns.

It appears fairly transparent, that the relative unknown is someone's Insult Alt, used in order to make denigratory comments about someone else, without any consequence to the "main".

Kind of amusing once or twice, but when there's a pattern that emerges, I find it somehow depressing.

CharacterA: You
CharacterB: No you
CharacterB logs off
CharacterC: A, you are a loathsome cretin whose mother should have strangled you at birth.
CharacterC logs off
CharacterB: huh, comms glitch, had to reboot. Anyway, I think we'll just have to agree to disagree, even though you're wrong.
CharacterA: No you.

In times past, I get the impression such conversations would have led to RP wars, or assassinations.

Maybe improved skin cream means people's trigger fingers aren't as itchy? vOv

Players who do such things are risk-averse and wouldn't possibly be in a position to lose anything other than a text chat argument.

Still catching up on this thread, thanks all.

Isis Dea

• Radical Sebiestor Rebel
  • Clonejack
  • 327th Wing [Jaijii-Hnolku] - STPRO, Caldari State
    • Isis Dea's Posts
« Reply #47 on: 14 Nov 2013, 13:53 »

I hope we get more story though - like, who ordered the Coleile attack...

That'll never happen. I hate to quote that damn book but Gonzales does a great job articulating how Minmatar operate. There's an art to not holding a uniform attack like that which was witnessed at Coleile. A lot of people spite Coleile as being a terrible example of Minmatar battle tact. What should have been a series of terrorist attacks across Gallente space turned into a uniform single effort on the border which completely exposed led to being easily put down by "good guy gallente".

Mind you, it was also fitting of Minmatar believing in Midular. The same Minmatar who see the Federation and outside factions as great escape from their own. Who would rather adopt Gallente tact over use of hit-and-run/guerrilla tact that the Tribes have perfected over the ages fighting the slaver threat. The same tact that many argue is barbaric for its involvement of civilians.

(Also the same tact witnessed modern day by TRIAD in their strikes made deep inside Amarr space.)

Such a character would be duck hunting season for characters like Isis (TRIAD, or other followers of Minmatar as explained in Empyrean Age and typical lore), prone to not be the subject of public scrutiny (unless it's the Midular crowd outcry) but rather series of characters reaching out via private contact with Minmatar representatives demanding justice for defacing the Tribes and their name (key word: Tribes, as in not on behalf of the Republic). Such is the selfish, unable-to-unify Minmatar we've all come to know making appearance.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #48 on: 14 Nov 2013, 13:58 »

I... am confused and feel very dumb for not being able to understand... :|

Isis Dea

• Clonejack
    • Isis Dea's Posts
« Reply #49 on: 14 Nov 2013, 14:59 »

Minmatar. In a nutshell. You're not dumb, you probably are missing one or a few key details:

- Coleile is a recent event in where Minmatar-loyal forces performed a stand-off on the border of Gallente space and were pretty much slaughtered because of it.
- Tony Gonzales wrote the book EVE: Empyrean Age.
- Karin Midular is a key character of Minmatar, a woman who believes very firmly in the concept and prospect of the Minmatar Republic. Us as an entity which holds a seat at the CONCORD Assembly and has sought recognition from the Gallente/Caldari/Amarr (something in the past has never really happened). For this reason her administration was considered very corrupt for she could typically be put down by the Amarrian figure, who could quote the will of Minmatar people better than she could at times (with 40% of all Minmatar enslaved by Amarr, they do truly know us better than ourselves at times). For these reasons, she was ousted from power by Shakor (who is our present lead figure but also in his own ways corrupt) and later was assassinated (a recent event which led to Coleile).
- TRIAD is a Minmatar RP Alliance.
« Last Edit: 14 Nov 2013, 15:03 by Isis Dea »

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #50 on: 14 Nov 2013, 15:54 »

While the current live event situations do contribute to the topic at hand, I'm not sure all of that does.

Elsewhere with this?

Lyn Farel

« Reply #51 on: 14 Nov 2013, 16:11 »

Minmatar. In a nutshell. You're not dumb, you probably are missing one or a few key details:

- Coleile is a recent event in where Minmatar-loyal forces performed a stand-off on the border of Gallente space and were pretty much slaughtered because of it.
- Karin Midular is a key character of Minmatar, a woman who believes very firmly in the concept and prospect of the Minmatar Republic. Us as an entity which holds a seat at the CONCORD Assembly and has sought recognition from the Gallente/Caldari/Amarr (something in the past has never really happened). For this reason her administration was considered very corrupt for she could typically be put down by the Amarrian figure, who could quote the will of Minmatar people better than she could at times (with 40% of all Minmatar enslaved by Amarr, they do truly know us better than ourselves at times). For these reasons, she was ousted from power by Shakor (who is our present lead figure but also in his own ways corrupt) and later was assassinated (a recent event which led to Coleile).

I know that, i'm just either not sure what your point is, or just that I am struggling to understand your... way of speaking in the previous post, or your English. :/

Sorry, I'm not a native.

Isis Dea

• Clonejack
    • Isis Dea's Posts
« Reply #52 on: 15 Nov 2013, 07:11 »

I know that, i'm just either not sure what your point is, or just that I am struggling to understand your... way of speaking in the previous post, or your English. :/

Sorry, I'm not a native.

Just replying to Ava.  :ugh:

V. Gesakaarin

« Reply #53 on: 15 Nov 2013, 07:32 »

So people are getting all bitter waiting for the metaphorical Godot now?

The secret I've found to enjoying Eve is to just do your own thing with other people who think just like you do -- then ignore everyone else and/or tell them to politely fuck off because they're terribad.

Just like you'd do in the real world, no?

Ava Starfire

• Queen of Hashbrowns
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #54 on: 15 Nov 2013, 08:50 »

So its "Youre doing it wrong".

Got it.

Lasairiona

• Red
  • Omelette
« Reply #55 on: 15 Nov 2013, 08:57 »

I haven't read all the posts, but meh, can't be bothered.

I've been RPing since 2010 so I remember a lot of the "olden days." Frankly, I think RP is what you make of it. I have a good group of people that I RP with and we tend to stick within ourselves. I try to do interesting things with my channel ((L'Amore)), but it ebs and flows as it always has with RP in Eve. I think what's difficult is more and more people are starting to RP so you get these oddball characters that have no real background or history and the vanish just as quickly as they arrive. I can name on one hand the people that have been constants in Lasa's RP. I think I'm rambling now so I'm gonna stop.  :P

Isis Dea

• Clonejack
    • Isis Dea's Posts
« Reply #56 on: 15 Nov 2013, 09:05 »

So its "Youre doing it wrong".

Got it.

Nonsense. If anything just a walking great example about how we can't unify if our life depended on it. xD

Gaven Lok ri

• Omelette
« Reply #57 on: 15 Nov 2013, 14:19 »

So people are getting all bitter waiting for the metaphorical Godot now?

The secret I've found to enjoying Eve is to just do your own thing with other people who think just like you do -- then ignore everyone else and/or tell them to politely fuck off because they're terribad.

I pretty much have to agree with this. EVE works best when you have goals to achieve, and the only source for those goals has to be internal to your group.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]