Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

DioCore is a Gallentean research firm that survived a hostile takeover by its own start-up investors, MindChill, in the early days of the company.

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: 3D Printed Pistol  (Read 4701 times)

Iwan Terpalen

Re: 3D Printed Pistol
« Reply #30 on: 05 Nov 2013, 13:29 »

Obvious solution: issue every criminal Londoner a personalized firearm.

Vic Van Meter

• Omelette
« Reply #31 on: 05 Nov 2013, 13:36 »

Maybe.

In the UK anyway, the gun crime problem, there's far bigger issues with:
Replica conversions. Re-activation of defunct firearms. Smuggling of weapons from E.Europe.

Periodically, a newspaper will run a story about how it was "Easy to obtain a firearm from criminals, for low prices". Usually London crime gangs. Sometimes figures are quoted, often they are like "£50 to rent the gun, £400 if you shoot it". Which is not all that much compared to other things.
It's why some armed crimes are hard to solve - if the firearm is one that has been passed around in this manner, it may appear that the same people committed both crimes, which can send investigations in the wrong direction.

Jesus, that's cheap?  That's essentially 800 dollars to shoot someone.

I think here in the states, you can buy a .22 from the street for like 100 or 200 dollars.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #32 on: 05 Nov 2013, 13:58 »

I think those 3-D printed guns might get a lot more problematic for countries like in Western Europe, than in the US where guns are omnipresent and where the worst issue from what I read would more be an issue of traceability...

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!
« Reply #33 on: 05 Nov 2013, 14:35 »

Obvious solution: issue every criminal Londoner a personalized firearm.

Hell no.
The very model of a British Minmatarian

Vic Van Meter

• Omelette
« Reply #34 on: 05 Nov 2013, 14:52 »

I think those 3-D printed guns might get a lot more problematic for countries like in Western Europe, than in the US where guns are omnipresent and where the worst issue from what I read would more be an issue of traceability...

Might be.  Then again, the problems they'd be having in Europe are problems here stateside, we just kind of deal with it and keep our heads down (sometimes literally).

They may not be cheaper now, but they might be in the future.  To a 3d printer, there's no difference between making a spatula or a gun, just the cost of the raw resins and plastics.  So, essentially, a gun could end up being no more expensive than anything else.  That might put people in the same boat we're in here, where I think knife crime is still a more prevalent problem in Britain than gun crime.
Pages: 1 2 [3]