Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Guristas co-founder Jirai Laitanen, also known as Fatal, was podded in YC106, but suffered from severe memory loss and motor impairment because he only had an inferior clone on standby.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Valkyrie not confirmed for PC or Oculus? The Fuck?  (Read 4079 times)

Repentence Tyrathlion

• Omelette
  • RIP?
Re: Valkyrie not confirmed for PC or Oculus? The Fuck?
« Reply #30 on: 27 Oct 2013, 03:10 »

I like how everyone calls me Anakin now. I just tell myself to remember who Anakin became and what he ended up leading : )

A bunch of doubting, incompetent nitwits?

Lyn Farel

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #32 on: 27 Oct 2013, 05:21 »

Day of the Tentacle.

:!:

One of the best games ever made.  :cube:

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #33 on: 27 Oct 2013, 11:02 »

That was the 'golden age' of Lucasarts, when they were just creating an amazing, amazing adventure game catalog within such a short span of time.

The Secret of Monkey Island
Loom
Maniac Mansion
Day of the Tentacle
Sam and Max Hit the Road

etc etc so much excellent humor and creative, genius writing.

I always like to compare/contract lucasarts during this period with SIERRA, who also made amazing and memorable adventure games (Space Quest, etc), but followed a much different game design philosophy.  In the lucasarts games it was basically impossible to 'lose' you would never die and there were generally no wrong answers. In games like 'space quest' you would die every 10 seconds, albeit hilariously.  I have a fond memory of Monkey Island 2 where there was a part in the game where you sort of 'died' and they were making fun of Space Quest death scenes

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #34 on: 27 Oct 2013, 11:30 »

This thread is now taken over by the Evil Purple Tentacle

Ollie

• Egger
« Reply #35 on: 27 Oct 2013, 17:02 »

I love how this topic went from "WTF CCP Rage!!?!" to "Hugs4UAll" through the power of old school Lucasarts and some light-hearted trolling of Anslol's Vader man-love. :)

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #36 on: 27 Oct 2013, 17:42 »

I approve of this transformation and derail from my OP :P

Anslol

« Reply #37 on: 28 Oct 2013, 08:07 »

Did anyone ever play those old DOS-launched sims?  F19 Stealth Fighter and things like that?  Everything's in block 3d graphics and the sound coming from your soundblaster to mimic engines sounded like your modem was connecting?

Top Gun baby \o/

Makoto Priano

« Reply #39 on: 31 Oct 2013, 22:58 »

Jetfighter 2! I, uh, didn't really understand the interface, so I mostly just took off and bombed random buildings in San Francisco....  :bear: By the way, did any of you guys play the original X-Wing or TIE Fighter games?

Also, that article-- good god.

Here's the problem. CCP's going, "Holy shi-! People love this! Let's get this IN FRONT OF EVERYONE." "Wait, how do we do that? Uh. VR's not going to be in everyone's hands..." "Alright. Console, no VR. It'll be great!"

Aie. CCP, the VR is precisely why we want it. If I have to buy some random console to play a random EVE-themed flight sim, I'm not getting it. Now, to fly an EVE fighter in VR...

Lyn Farel

« Reply #40 on: 01 Nov 2013, 14:48 »

Don't mention X-Wing and Tie-Fighter. And even less X-Wing alliance.

Nostalgia almost slaughters me everytime.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #41 on: 03 Nov 2013, 00:20 »

"TIE Fighter" was so, so much more my style than "X-Wing." The Rebel Alliance seems to have something against small, light fighters. The B-wing might as well have been a shuttle for all the dodging it could do.

The A-wing was the only rebel ship I really liked. I looked forward to A-wing missions so, so much.

TIE Interceptors and their descendants ... mmmmmm.

Okay, I could do with havin' me an Eve fighter. (Dragonfly, of course.)

Lyn Farel

« Reply #42 on: 03 Nov 2013, 02:34 »

I loved A-Wings but when it came to sheer firepower... Like to chainkill bombers... Capacitor always empty  :P

Fortunately there were those lovely concussion missiles...  :yar:

I have to admit that I was a X-G1 gunboat fanboy when I was younger (that ship was so sexy). It was totally OP in Tie Fighter, they nerfed it to death in the next series...

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #43 on: 19 Nov 2013, 08:47 »

http://www.pcgamesn.com/eve/new-new-eden-where-rubicon-fits-eve-onlines-grand-plan

Interesting quotes:
“The primary thing on the Dust team right now is growing the link between Dust and Eve, taking things like Faction Warfare and Planetary Conquest to another level and making it a bigger part of the game, ultimately continuing to grow the way Eve and Dust, and eventually Valkyrie, connect.”

[...]

“Ultimately Valkyrie will become a fully-fledged member of the Eve universe, where all three games will share an economy and will have members in corporations engaging in combined arms operations.” Envisaging Dust mercenaries as armour and infantry units, Valkyrie pilots as the air forces controlling the skies and Eve pilots the interstellar navy, Reid foresees a massive shift in not just how people play Eve, but how the universe is perceived and joined. Reid and his colleagues are however under no illusions that just as Eve had endured its shares of tough times and Dust has for most of 2013 been on rocky terrain, there will be turbulence ahead for Valkyrie: “The lessons of Eve and Dust are clear to us. VR is a nascent technology and there aren’t many signposts to tell us when we’re doing things well or breaking new ground. We have to make sure we get this right - that is the first priority for Valkyrie. Then we sort the connection to the broader Eve universe. It will happen.“
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #44 on: 19 Nov 2013, 13:41 »

The more and more they want all those games intermingled and their economies inter dependent, the more they risk that when one eventually fails, collapses, or closes due to lack of players or whatever, then it might severely cripple the other ones and make some kind of snowball effect...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4