Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ghost Festival is an Angel Cartel loyalist corporation? Read more here

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Last episode of Lost: Discuss.  (Read 4286 times)

Benjamin Shepherd

Last episode of Lost: Discuss.
« on: 23 May 2010, 21:53 »

SPOILERS, YOU'VE BEEN WARNED.

I think I know exactly what happened: The island is real life, and what the people did on there was real. Eventually, everyone died at one point in their lives, either on the island or after leaving the island, and were sent to the church to head to Heaven together.

« Last Edit: 24 May 2010, 11:15 by Benjamin Shepherd »

Wanoah

• Omelette
  • Sweating spinal fluid
    • Hello!
Re: Last episode of Lost: Discuss.
« Reply #1 on: 24 May 2010, 08:39 »

I think I know exactly what happened too: the writers didn't know what they were doing after about the fifth episode of the first season. :P
Nothing worth saying is inoffensive to everyone

Blog | Fiction

Kaldor Mintat

• Egger
« Reply #2 on: 24 May 2010, 08:47 »

Lost interest part of the way into season 2 and have not seen any episodes since. Perhaps one day when life in the oldfolks home is even more boring than usual i will try watching it again.

Benjamin Shepherd

« Reply #3 on: 24 May 2010, 11:15 »

It's confusing because there are so many subplots that it takes an active television viewer who can digest information well to understand it all. The series was amazing in that it was essentially full of literary elements and had some stellar cast pairings. As to the writing, I think season 5 was weird, but this season cleared up the big questions while leaving us guessing about the minuscule mythology questions that are remaining.

I recommend buying the DVDs if you have the money and patience.

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain
« Reply #4 on: 24 May 2010, 13:56 »

No, it's confusing because they started off the series with the express purpose of seeing what sort of theories people would come up with when they threw them random screwy things, then somewhere around season 4 went "Oh shit, we're going to have to end this at some point and tie some of this shit together..."

:)

Koronakesh

« Reply #5 on: 24 May 2010, 16:15 »

I have never watched a single episode of this series.  :oops:

Vieve

« Reply #6 on: 24 May 2010, 16:37 »

I have never watched a single episode of this series.  :oops:

Me either, man.  It's odd, because it's one of those shows that I should like.

I'll probably buy it on DvD five years from now, or catch up with it in syndication.

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 24 May 2010, 16:41 »

I have to agree with the OP.

Only problem that I perceive is the fact that the Island remained, so did the caretakers Linus and Hurley.

Because they churned so much money out of this, I think they might be dumb enough to revisit the whole thing.

But there are still things left unanswered, the meaning of the Numbers, what actually the black smokey thing was (it wasn't Jacobs brother), what were the Dharma initiative actually doing there, why the polar bears, why kidnap different kinds of people, what was special about the black kid, Jacobs mother was clearly of Greek origin and there was Egyptian and Babylonian stuff on the Island that predated her, who built the light tower, what the fuck was the whole series about anyway?

The final episode clearly showed that it was more about the people than about the Island.

So, if not next year, then 10 or 20 years from now, we will get a new bunch of clueless folk roaming the Island and see more fit Hurley and his counterpart Linus doing Gandalf kinds of shit there.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Nakatre Read

• Resident Angel
  • Wetgraver
« Reply #8 on: 25 May 2010, 02:57 »

Maybe the whole point of the series is to make you feel 'lost' at the end.

No I never watched it.

Nikilaiki Ruutarhara

« Reply #9 on: 25 May 2010, 05:39 »

There is a lot unanswered, but I think the main, overriding lesson of the series is that we're all Lost.  The entirety of the series has been Jack's "Hero's Journey".  From the beginning, Jack was forced into the role of leader and savior to the survivors of Oceanic 815.  He was always fighting that, living in his father's shadow.  He had never, ever, said goodbye to his father.  He lived in his shadow the entire series.

The last two episodes saw Jack realizing he had to finish his journey.  He had promised to get them all off of the island.  Though he didn't succeed (not in every way, but as much as he could), that final shot of him looking up and seeing the plane leaving, and knowing that everyone that was left that wanted off the island had finally, truly, escaped, was his point of acceptance.

He had come full circle.

The point that I knew what was happening was when he was bleeding in the same spot on his neck in both "realities".  I also started to realize that what was happening to the survivors in the "alternate reality" (for lack of a better term, let's call it "purgatory"), equated pretty closely to some ideas presented in Plato's Republic.  I knew they were all dead.

Light and Dark, the airplane, the "heart of the island"... it all made sense.

It didn't answer every question, but the Island never was the mystery to be unraveled.  There never was a mystery, just "shadows on the wall" that we, the viewers, were trying to decipher.  It was the journey of one man towards acceptance, so that he could let go and move on.

Sometimes, you just have to sit back and watch.  It's the journey that matters, not the destination, and it was a hell of a journey for me.

Benjamin Shepherd

« Reply #10 on: 25 May 2010, 16:14 »

Technically, the remaining people left on the Island (except for the few that remained to protect the Island) left on the plane, so they did escape. And Jack himself was "lost", and found his purpose in life that Locke told him was part of everyone. It was his destiny to do that, per se.

Although I am a bit pissed at how it ended, I expected Season 2-type writing. Still a good run, glad it's over. My TiVo is free.

Ashar Kor-Azor

• Banned
  • Pod Captain
  • Banned
« Reply #11 on: 26 May 2010, 06:05 »

Saddle up, Fonzie.
« Last Edit: 26 May 2010, 06:08 by Ashar Kor-Azor »

Indahar

• Stare Dad
  • Clonejack
« Reply #12 on: 27 May 2010, 00:24 »

SPOILERS

Yeah, Lost was always a character-centric story, yadda yadda. Season One established that pretty well. The series was never for want of character development. I want to believe that the writers of Lost figured they should emphasize this more with the final episode, but I can't, because do you know what was also constantly given to the audience? The mystery of the Island and the forces surrounding it. Through all of the explanations, the strong thematic imagery and subtle (or none-too-subtle) hints, the Island and its mythology had finally been explained enough, at least to me, for it to relate to the story as opposed to act as wallpaper for it. I didn't particularly like the Man in Black/Jacob story, but I didn't complain. By the time of the finale I thought Lost was going to tie everything together.

Well, it did. Behind a curtain. While the writers expected us to marvel at the tying of a knot. The story was completely downplayed to a point where it seemed the characters themselves didn't seem to know what they were doing. FrankenLocke wants to blow up the Island by taking a peg out of its hole. Jack wants to, too--it kills Locke. Somehow they're both right. Why wasn't this glowing font of electromagnetism not found before if all anyone had to do was head "past the bamboo"? We don't even know what all happens when the Source is unplugged. Since we're never given any idea of the threat posed by this situation except by hearsay, I can't help but feel detached from all the events on the Island. I literally went from brimming with anticipation to boredom.

Thematically, it was beautiful. Everything first seen in the pilot and first season, throughout the series, was reminded to the audience. Everyone came together, had their moments of rebirth, reflection, redemption, and they all died and went to heaven. The last scene made me sigh with contentment. It was worth watching the strangely unengaging story happening just minutes before. Everything was understandable, even if some of it was contrived. I just can't get past the fact that after six seasons, and so much plot in an epic arc, the story on the Island ended with a whimper, somehow.

One more thing: Michael Giacchino is God. I've listened to his music since I played Medal of Honor as a kid, and when I noticed that the submarine theme sounded just like the submarine level music from MoH, I came.
« Last Edit: 27 May 2010, 00:28 by Indahar »
Taylor Swift is My Goddess

Benjamin Shepherd

« Reply #13 on: 27 May 2010, 13:15 »

Yeah, the composer for Lost is one of the greatest I've heard in modern times. He did Finest Hour and the first Mercenaries game's music.

Myrhial Arkenath

• Omelette
  • One does not simply walk into Curse.
    • Diary of a Pod Pilot
« Reply #14 on: 27 May 2010, 17:11 »

I really enjoyed the series because there is so much symbolism in it. Aspects from all religions (summarized in the last episode by the stained glass window with the signs for each major religion) come together with the main theme of life and death.

I cried all through the final minutes of the last episode. It's just so beautiful that all these characters, who were lost and alone in their own ways, were able to come to a happy ending and move on. Brought up some memories of relatives who have passed away as well.

Lallara: Here's some wiki information on the numbers. And here about Smokey. The rest is probably in the wiki too.

CEO of Ghost Festival :: Executor of Naraka.
Diary of a Pod Pilot
Pages: [1] 2