Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Placid Reborn is a corporation dedicated to the self-determination and prosperity of the Intaki home system and its immediate surroundings? Read more here

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: [Chronicle] Valklears  (Read 5328 times)

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
Re: [Chronicle] Valklears
« Reply #15 on: 02 Jun 2010, 21:34 »

I wonder - and this is slightly tangential - how the Republic views different sorts of financial crimes.

I mean, here in the US, someone who embezzles a few million dollars - even from say a charity - is probably going to a minimum security prison. It isn't considered the same as a murder, say. Contrast this with China where people who seriously fuck up in their capacity as a corporate executive get executed with some regularity (though the ones I recall mostly had to do with negligently poisoning people with industrial waste etc., rather than strictly 'white collar' crime).

That isn't really constant, though, across societies, I think. In the Republic, where a lot of people struggle, and the money that is stolen might well have gone to Vitoxin treatment, or feeding refugees (depending on where it was stolen from) it might potentially rate up there with murder. 

Part of the differences in the way China and the U.S. conceive of money and property.  In China, when you embezzle a significant amount of money, you're most likely stealing from the government and breaking the trust of the Communist Party in some way.  So they would conceive of it differently.  A threat to national security or a traitor. 

I could see the Matari viewing the crime differently depending on who you stole from.  Steal billions from an foreign investment company, ok, youre going to jail for a bit.  Still hundreds from your Clan, and youre untouchable scum who is in jail for decades.  They might actually have a Chinese esque view of embezzlement, since its possible a lot of property is held in trust for your Clan, so embezzlement would involve a betrayal greater than mere white collar crime. 

And also, what you said Silver.  The Republic probably has a war footing view, since many still remember the horrors of slavery, they're in proxy war with their ancient enemies, theyre kinda the underdog, and frankly the world is a dark and horrible place.  They might take a dim view of someone trying to divert funds in that kinda an environment, where every isk is needed.
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #16 on: 09 Jun 2010, 23:29 »

Holy crap.  A Ginger sighting!  He reads blogs!  

http://www.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=1319941&page=2#49

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #17 on: 09 Jun 2010, 23:40 »

Nice, Gottii

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #18 on: 11 Jun 2010, 03:07 »

Since no one has mentioned the explanation for Mashtori, there's an NPC:
http://eveinfo.com/npcship/12392/eve-online-khanid-mashtori.html

According to a quick search, it appears in a five-part level four mission called In the Midst of Deadspace. I have never had that mission, so I do not have further information.

Mathra Hiede

• Omelette
« Reply #19 on: 11 Jun 2010, 05:05 »

Since no one has mentioned the explanation for Mashtori, there's an NPC:
http://eveinfo.com/npcship/12392/eve-online-khanid-mashtori.html

According to a quick search, it appears in a five-part level four mission called In the Midst of Deadspace. I have never had that mission, so I do not have further information.

Aye - that as much information on them that as far as my digging can tell, exists at all.

So, I may get around to writing some fiction for them, and overall putting them on the map, but I shan't de-rail this thread any further with my own concerns, on with the show!

Innocence prooves nothing - Solen Sean

Vieve

« Reply #20 on: 11 Jun 2010, 05:42 »

Holy crap.  A Ginger sighting!  He reads blogs!  

http://www.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=1319941&page=2#49

Nice!

(And it was a great story.)

Kaito Haakkainen

• Wetgraver
  • May have skimmed the Book of Emptiness
« Reply #21 on: 11 Jun 2010, 08:47 »

I like these infodumps...so far...the badass/shady/unscrupulous/amoral units for each of the factions are...

Gallente - Black Eagles
Minmatar - Valklears
Amarr - Kameiras
Caldari - ???

Cool to see. With this kinda info, there's no longer any need to assume factional, non-pirate RPers are the naive ones who aren't capable of being big hardass Guristas or Angels  ;)

The Caldari have the Provists, semi-secretly run by the Templis Dragonaurs a terrorist organization previously wanted by both the State and the Federation for war-crimes, terrorism, and general unpleasantness. While they do serve a role within "government" (seemingly an advisory role with clout due to mass popularity and underhand methods) they also remain a military force acting both openly and covertly.

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #22 on: 14 Jun 2010, 06:55 »

Like noted, the most megas would have their own teams. Not sure if these extend to capsuleers, but I'd bet that the Ishukone Watch team(s) that won the Haadoken Summit war games are nothing short of the best of the best.
Pages: 1 [2]