Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The CBD megacorporation is a major importer/exporter in the State?

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Slip or Legit use of Month?  (Read 2692 times)

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey
Slip or Legit use of Month?
« on: 11 Oct 2013, 03:53 »

From a recent news article:

"The Synchelle police have said they do not comment on ongoing legal cases, but announced a trial date is set for October 15th."

I've avoided the use of month names previously because I found it doubtful that they'd be still used in the far future, but this report is written in-setting.

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Gaven Lok ri

• Omelette
Re: Slip or Legit use of Month?
« Reply #1 on: 11 Oct 2013, 04:09 »

This is a hand wave issue, I think.

As far as I can remember the news has always been willing to use the modern month names. But presumably they don't match any one group's actual month systems, so its just a stand in.

CCP really should have just decided that their in game year was 2003 back when they released and saved us all headaches. :P

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #2 on: 11 Oct 2013, 06:53 »

It's been established through one of the old chronicles that the calendar system currently used by the interstellar community is a reconstructed Gregorian calendar.

The Big Four likely use their own 'master' calendars planetside that are tuned to the homeworlds, and each (inhabited) solar system likely has its own local calendar for regional holidays and such.

So, someone living on a habitable planet in the system of Ashab might have their own local Ashab calendar, an Empire-wide calendar, and the Gregorian calendar to keep aware of, depending on who they were working with.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #3 on: 11 Oct 2013, 09:47 »

Relevant chronicle link: Time and the Astrologer

The Traditionalists said the only way to go was to base the new calendar as much as possible on the 24-hour, 365-day calendar favored by early post-collapse settlers. All the races, especially the Jovians and the Amarrians, had some data on the old calendar and by combining the data it could be remade more or less in its original form.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Gaven Lok ri

• Omelette
« Reply #4 on: 11 Oct 2013, 13:23 »

There are days when I consider dating all of PIE's messages in Amarr years... but we would need to know how long an Amarr year was.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #5 on: 11 Oct 2013, 13:37 »

http://evemaps.dotlan.net/system/Amarr/III

Orbit Period   25.8 days
Orbit Radius   0.465 AU

... This is why we can't have science-y things.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Gaven Lok ri

• Omelette
« Reply #6 on: 11 Oct 2013, 13:41 »

Yep, Amarr is statistically unihabitable :P

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #7 on: 11 Oct 2013, 13:42 »

If I remember right, math says there's a moon in Eram going near the speed of light. :psyccp:

Ava would have the details.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:

Gaven Lok ri

• Omelette
« Reply #8 on: 11 Oct 2013, 14:10 »

We could probably make up a number and just use it till CCP goes along with us :P

Of course, keeping track of a rolling new year would be... really special. Would need a computer program for it I think.

Gabriel Darkefyre

• Clonejack
« Reply #9 on: 11 Oct 2013, 17:44 »

There are days when I consider dating all of PIE's messages in Amarr years... but we would need to know how long an Amarr year was.

I think it was the Egyptians who had a system where they decided the current year by how many years the Current Pharoah has reigned for. I could see some Amarrian World's using a similar system using the reigns of the Emperors as the determining Factor.

So, For most of the Cluster it's YC115, for those worlds, it's currently Year 5 (Jamyl I)

Probably wouldn't be a Universal thing for All Amarr though.

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey
« Reply #10 on: 11 Oct 2013, 17:49 »

Well, spank my bottom and call me the Empress, it is legit.
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #11 on: 11 Oct 2013, 17:49 »

Well, spank my bottom and call me the Empress, it is legit.

You stop hiding in RL or other games and you have yourself a deal. :P
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:

Ollie

• Egger
Slip or Legit use of Month?
« Reply #12 on: 11 Oct 2013, 18:14 »

We could probably make up a number and just use it till CCP goes along with us :P

Of course, keeping track of a rolling new year would be... really special. Would need a computer program for it I think.

Go with the Dragon Age system and name it via years since the last Reclaiming (or declaration of same).

Edit: which I just noticed is very similar to what Gabriel said a few posts ago :)
« Last Edit: 11 Oct 2013, 18:17 by Ollie »

Gaven Lok ri

• Omelette
« Reply #13 on: 11 Oct 2013, 21:29 »

The real issue isn't the metric, years since first emperor would be logical, but the question of how long an Amarrian year actually is. :)

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #14 on: 11 Oct 2013, 21:40 »

http://evemaps.dotlan.net/system/Amarr/III

Orbit Period   25.8 days
Orbit Radius   0.465 AU

... This is why we can't have science-y things.

So... I did the math and it is more like 130 days for an Amarr III revolution.

For other planetary calendars see Martian timekeeping and the Darian calendar.
Pages: [1] 2