Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Myrhial Arkenath was born and raised on Saisio III? Read more here

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: What's on horizon for EVE?  (Read 3767 times)

Aelisha Montenagre

Re: What's on horizon for EVE?
« Reply #30 on: 18 Sep 2013, 05:27 »

Shitstorms are always on the horizon.

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain
« Reply #31 on: 18 Sep 2013, 05:36 »

just wait for CSM minutes......

Also, you need to watch again the fanfest videos, the new executive producer CCP Seagull clearly explains she is creating a framework to "from now on", have a little of "old-issue fixes" and a little of "new content". on every cycle.

Aelisha Montenagre

« Reply #32 on: 18 Sep 2013, 05:44 »

Not to be too much of a damp squib, but CCP's inherent schizophrenia when it comes to making promises makes this feel like an emotionally abusive marriage. 

I'm not going to really trust much of what they way they will do, until they do it - this ten year ball and chain I love too much to leave has caused me a lot of disappointment by promising 5 star accommodation and delivering decrepit hostels instead.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #33 on: 18 Sep 2013, 08:01 »

New Player ALERT

Okay, so on one hand, everything is new to me in EVE so I can't say what I would like to see added or improved or what not (well, okay, free control flight would be neat, and all the clothes...)

From the sounds of things, and I've sort of seen it in the little time I've been in the game is there does seem to be a lack of content...there is a lot of things to do, but without really looking into it, the universe does not seem to have changed much or have expanded or altered.  Say what you will about WoW, at least the expansions expanded the game world and provided new content. Item and game balance tweaks seemed to always be done between actual expansions (some of these requiring an almost new game version build), but even without the expansions, there always was something 'new' appearing.

I keep hearing about the debacle of Incarna...and from what I understand, yeah there were some poor ideas. I don't want EVE to become a sci-fi WoW...but the fact of the matter is Blizzard did something right in order to essentially destroy the MMOs that came before it and become the juggernaut of the MMO market. CCP doesn't have to mimic, but they could take a moment and look at what Blizzard did in the early days (as much as I personally liked Mists of Panderia, I do admit that it could have been better content and the dumb-down of the classes sucked).

I do have a background in programming, though not in gaming, and have been involved in the tech industry for 13 years now (not counting the time spent teaching myself about computers) and I can understand the difficulty in creating new content as well as the time it can take to put out a product that doesn't immediately blow up. I also understand the tendency for a company to get hand-shy when something they put out receives a major backlash from the consumer market. Trust me...I see it at my workplace...we're still dealing with an application that was written in Access 97 and 'upgraded' to Access 2007 (read, tables and some queries converted to work properly) because everyone in management is afraid to build something new.

CCP, not knowing how large their team is or current priorities or staffing is like, does need to look at adding new content. Not simply new ship hulls, modules, interfaces or UI changes...the universe needs to change in some manner. From the sounds of it, if these jump gates and whatnot go through, that does seem like a step in the right direction.

Despite all the drama that recently went down, I do feel CCP does have a decent relationship with the RPing community within their game...small things can also appease players (i.e. just drop all the rest of those wonderful clothes into the universe :P ). I'm of two minds on how that can be done...looking at WoW with the virtual pets...sounds funny that someone would pay $5-30 for a pet or mount, yet just about everyone did. Done right, that's a good source of quick cash injection. I know there are some articles of clothing that I'd be willing to pay for...but it does need to be done right. On the flip side, they can also just shrug it off and simple seed the 'verse with these items...maybe making them available in missions, exploration, or other means. I know...sounds simple, but I realize it isn't as simple as switching a byte...testing needs to be done etc. Still, it would be something that I think most players would appreciate.

Other more complex content comes to mind...and it sort of ties in with DUST and getting us out of the captain's quarters and interacting with each other visually. But, and this steals from Star Trek...let's explore the concept of the 'away party'. Whether it is the actual pilot or we create another toon for land exploration, I think that would blow the game wide open (personal opinion, could be horribly off the mark). This might mean CCP drops the whole console DUST and make DUST for the PC...I don't know. And it would require a lot of work, but I think something like this could easily draw new players to EVE.

And that brings up the question of how to make EVE attractive to new players. How do you keep new players interested and wanting to do things with all these bittervets kicking around? Not sure...guess the first thing might be taking another look at Incursions and providing content there that newbies can sink their teeth into. It has bothered me that I could not do anything regarding an Incursion cause of skill and finances. They could also look at ways of making FW more meaningful and more interesting for new players. I wish I could say how, but I tend to be a little more on the idea and less on detail in some aspects.  I don't mind that it takes time to train skills and move up into larger hulls and more advanced modules, but any new content should take into consideration that you want to gain and keep new players.

And I think I shall end my stream of thought here.

The problem is that you propose things that a lot of people have proposed over the years, but as long as you pronounce the forbidden words like "newb friendly", avatar gameplay, and the likes, you will get a pitchfork-armed angry mob shouting "Don't you dare develop something else than internet spaceships".

This has always been like 2 people fighting for the same blanket. And the ones usually winning are the ones lobbying for CCP to continue to develop exclusively for their tastes. Incarna was the perfect casus belli for them, an example of failure when they dare to try something different or daring.

Eventually it's always a fight done by the privileged to keep their privileges.

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #34 on: 18 Sep 2013, 08:46 »

Winter expansion is being announced via TwitchTV by CCP Guard and the dev team on 26th September at 20:00 eve time.

This was announced ten minutes ago on Facebook.

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #35 on: 18 Sep 2013, 09:42 »

At the latest fanfest Hilmar was almost knocked on his ass by the roar of approval for more Incarna and WIS stuff. He was clearly not expecting it and he went on to say that not this year unfortunately. So sounds like up till that moment CCP was quite ready to bury it in the backyard.

Shiki

• Clonejack
« Reply #36 on: 18 Sep 2013, 11:21 »

I'm really hoping for more starbase iteration, and more scanning and hacking iterations. More stuff for wormholes plz plz.

Seemed like CCP were onto something with co-op PvE a la Incursions, but I'd also like to see co-op activities like those you mentioned: anomalies/sites that require co-operative scandowns, hacking/relics sites that require co-operative interfacing. This time, keep it out of highsec, though.

Not that I'd know how to implement such things... or if small groups would even enjoy them.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #37 on: 18 Sep 2013, 11:36 »

A basic thing (tm) that would help a ton of people would be group industry projects.

Make it easy for people to combine resources and manufacture things in a coop pve experience. 

In fact, make it so that the biggest and most expensive things require groups of people to construct cooperatively.

I'm not sure how it would work, but you'd have kind of a group pool of resources and various tasks that can be broken off to smaller groups or individuals for production goals or missions.

IE: Let's build a carrier!

teams 1 and 2 get minerals for x component
team 3 handles baking the part
team 4 assembles components

team 5 breaks campaign bottle on hull and launches ship

Shiori

« Reply #38 on: 18 Sep 2013, 11:38 »

team 5 breaks campaign bottle on hull and launches ship sells it and runs off with all the ISK.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #39 on: 18 Sep 2013, 11:47 »

Maybe, but you could use existing 'roles' architecture to ensure no one group has control unless corp ceo wishes

Shintoko Akahoshi

• Red Mom of War(?)
  • Pod Captain
  • Red Mom of War!
« Reply #40 on: 18 Sep 2013, 11:47 »

Not to be too much of a damp squib, but CCP's inherent schizophrenia when it comes to making promises makes this feel like an emotionally abusive marriage. 

I'm not going to really trust much of what they way they will do, until they do it - this ten year ball and chain I love too much to leave has caused me a lot of disappointment by promising 5 star accommodation and delivering decrepit hostels instead.

Amen to that. Not to sound too much like a bittervet, but this is probably why (as opposed to a decade ago, when I literally couldn't get enough time in-game to do everything that I wanted to do) my Eve time now is mostly made up of several month stints with 1+ years between them.

Funnily enough, it's interesting to compare Eve with Star Trek Online. Both are SF games with an interesting space component - Eve has far richer mechanics, but that's almost beside the point. Both also have an off-ship component. Where Eve went the route of trying to make Grey Poupon from scratch by assembling the component atoms (i.e.: their absolutely lovely character system and engine that they invented from scratch), STO uses a far more conservative engine that's shared with their other MMOs. The Cryptic Engine (STO's engine) isn't quite off-the-shelf, but it is fairly standard, and supports typical MMO levels of character customization. Looking at the two games side by side, Eve wins from both a beauty and a customization point of view, but STO has all the standard forms of character interaction that you'd expect: you can move around and emote and shoot things and the like.

To use Aelisha's metaphore, Eve promised a 5-star hotel and delivered a dive. Cryptic, in comparison, may only have a Holiday Inn, but at least you can leave your hotel room.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #41 on: 18 Sep 2013, 12:19 »

A basic thing (tm) that would help a ton of people would be group industry projects.

Make it easy for people to combine resources and manufacture things in a coop pve experience. 

In fact, make it so that the biggest and most expensive things require groups of people to construct cooperatively.

I'm not sure how it would work, but you'd have kind of a group pool of resources and various tasks that can be broken off to smaller groups or individuals for production goals or missions.

IE: Let's build a carrier!

team 5 breaks campaign bottle on hull and launches ship

/plays the devil.

BUT I CAN DO ALL THAT SOLO WITH ALL MY 298383 ALTS !

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #42 on: 18 Sep 2013, 18:22 »

Current rumor is that winter is more industry-focused, and that they have a nifty development arc that seems to include expanding the EVE cluster by allowing people to build stargates. So. Maybe they're making exploration more, y'know, exploratory?

Dex were are you! I have project! this might is what you need!

Current rumor is that winter is more industry-focused, and that they have a nifty development arc that seems to include expanding the EVE cluster by allowing people to build stargates. So. Maybe they're making exploration more, y'know, exploratory?

Don't tease me bro!
Pages: 1 2 [3]