General Discussion > General Non-RP DUST 514 Discussion

Your opinion on DUST 514

(1/8) > >>

Denak Kalamari:
Since I noticed that there is a lack of threads where people can generally express their opinions on the state of DUST 514, I decided to go ahead and create one for your leisure.

So basically, what do you think of DUST 514 at its current state? Does it have potential to be the game it was promised to be? Is it going to be a huge flop and be the next Incarna disaster? Is it actually Godzilla that goes on a rampage to destroy EVE Online? And moreso, how woulf you improve DUST 514? Share your thoughts here!

My opinion is that it's good. While there are several features that could be improved greatly or they're missing entirely, I believe it has the potential to be the great game it aspires to be. 1.4 patch was a step in the right direction in terms of gameplay, and with my beloved scout suit getting some love in 1.5, I'll eagerly wait for next winter.

What I would like to see more is a greater connection between DUST 514 and EVE Online, in terms of gameplay and story, which would include making DUST markets available to EVE Online too, without breaking the economy preferably. Seeing more PvE content -- manufacturing, rogue drone missions etc.

Pieter Tuulinen:
I don't really see people talking about it in the industry press anymore. I don't even see many people discussing it within the Eve community.

I think that's a bad thing.

Havohej:

--- Quote from: Denak Kalamari on 14 Sep 2013, 13:26 ---What I would like to see more is a greater connection between DUST 514 and EVE Online, in terms of gameplay and story, which would include making DUST markets available to EVE Online too, without breaking the economy preferably. Seeing more PvE content -- manufacturing, rogue drone missions etc.

--- End quote ---
I think this is what it all comes down to right here.  The whole big thing about DUST 514 was that it was going to be A) an FPS that was B) on a console and C) interconnected with and taking place in the very same universe as an online MMO, on the very same server, and that D) (this is the biggest one) the actions of players in the two games would have an effect on the other game respectively.

A, B and C were delivered.  D... not really delivered - at least, not anywhere near to the extent that was promised.  I don't have a PS3 currently, but I've been logging into DUST 514 on a buddy's PS3 on the weekends from time to time.  I like it as a shooter, it's pretty good.  Gameplay is fair, graphically it's excellent, I love the whole thing (though the skill stuff could be laid out a little better imo, and I'd like it if the market had ISK stuff and AUR stuff separated so that those customers could find their stuff easily and I could find my stuff without having to sift through AUR shit).

But it isn't what we were promised, I don't think.  I'm looking forward to that game ever being delivered, but it hasn't been yet.

I wanna hire DUST mercs to go shit up PI installations of people I don't like.  Or just people who aren't me.  I wanna hire them to act as landing parties to attack POCOs and POSes (having the effect of shortening RF timers, perhaps).  I wanna be paid by them to take a Maelstrom with some 1400mm artillery and wtfpwn large areas of a battlefield from orbit (which requires the whole orbital bombardment thing to be expanded and improved from its current sort-of iteratation).

I want a lot :(

Alain Colcer:
uhm, if DUST514 survives with a small commited community and CCP starts making gradual improvements and expanding the game....then dust 514 will be fine..

the problem is the whole F2P + micro-transaction model does not support that, it actually goes against it, you cannot have success with an incomplete game under that framework.

Havohej:
Unfortunately, it's either that or charge up front for the thing (like, you know, normal console games), but with it being unfinished who's going to pay for it?  Probably would've been smarter to wait and complete the bloody thing but I suppose they're irrevocably committed to their chosen path at this point.

I remain optimistic, however.  It's usually not until years after the "Game X is dead/dying" starts that a game actually dies.  There's time to turn it around if they can figure out which side of their bread is buttered.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version