Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That high-orbit shuttle deployment is the most popular method of passenger and freight transportation from planets to space? Read more here.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 21

Author Topic: CCP Falcon: Live from OOC  (Read 39596 times)

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain
Re: CCP Falcon: Live from OOC
« Reply #135 on: 13 Sep 2013, 18:27 »

I tried to be a as good as possible without being a bootlicking pussy anbd get the answers I want.  I got them, I was satified, and told him so. vOv

Vikarion

« Reply #136 on: 13 Sep 2013, 18:29 »

To be honest, both of those logs make Falcon look quite reasonable in the face of less reasonable behaviour.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I got the distinct impression that we should be reading between the lines here and all is not well behind the scenes at CCP regarding staffing and resource allocation.

And yeah, this.

Well, yes. DUST 514 is a mess and almost certainly a complete flop, and CCP sunk way too much time and money into a PS3-only shooter. Eve is profitable, but so profitable that you can throw money away? Doubtful. So now they likely have to either take away resources from Eve, or bite the bullet and engage in big staff cuts of one sort or another.

Ollie

• Egger
« Reply #137 on: 13 Sep 2013, 18:56 »

Well, yes. DUST 514 is a mess and almost certainly a complete flop, and CCP sunk way too much time and money into a PS3-only shooter. Eve is profitable, but so profitable that you can throw money away? Doubtful. So now they likely have to either take away resources from Eve, or bite the bullet and engage in big staff cuts of one sort or another.

Yeah I agree. I think the two recent CCP staff resignations might have been related too but that's all speculative of course. A recent post Reyd Karris made in either in this thread or another (can't remember, sorry Reyd) kind of crystallised it all.

CCP's sort of backed themselves into a position where they'll either need to stick their head in the sand and persist with a business model and format (PS3-only) that doesn't appear to be working to the level they were expecting it would or they'll need to make some hard decisions which might be better for both company and their games in the long term but will inevitably anger and alienate some of its player base. And I get the feeling there's still a lot of anxiety about triggering another summer of discontent reaction.

Which might explain the need to appear as transparent and all-inclusive as possible.

Anyway, that's all only marginally topical if at all. Back to your programmed viewing :)

Reyd Karris

« Reply #138 on: 13 Sep 2013, 19:47 »

CCP's sort of backed themselves into a position where they'll either need to stick their head in the sand and persist with a business model and format (PS3-only) that doesn't appear to be working to the level they were expecting it would or they'll need to make some hard decisions which might be better for both company and their games in the long term...
Well, truth be told I was under the impression they'd already doubled down on the Shanghai office and DUST, and they're still trying to play cards close to their chest. It may pay out in the long run, the question is can they ante up?

(sorry, poker analogies just seem to apply here)

I know a lot of people (not just at CCP, but the gaming community in general) are still hoping DUST will pay off, and pay off big. There wouldn't be so many disappointed reviewers if people weren't hungry for something like what DUST could be.

I think it's also a good indication of the quality of interaction that people expect from CCP Live Events that there was a reaction from the community as strong as it was. It's not necessarily a bad sign; it shows that the events team was appreciated, and the change of the status quo upset people, not just the change in venue.

As the saying goes, kids don't whine when you take away spinach; they whine when they can't get desert.

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #139 on: 13 Sep 2013, 22:48 »

CCP Falcon's response filters into what I expected to be the general case. Certain words and phrases used through the whole thing could've been done better but, it is what it is.

What I'm particularly interested in now is how the team feels about player events. The PIE ball is one example, and others like it will come in due time. Should they attend, even though being player moderated it will be gated by those players? I can't imagine Minmatar players will want loyal Amarrians attending a freedom celebration ... but if the Amarrians are stopped, do they have weight behind complaints of getting locked out?

It's a slippery eel to hold because it can go any which way and end up shocking the shit outta you.

Edit; perhaps gagging but allowing them to view would be the best compromise ... they can 'see what is said', but cannot influence the environment... HMMM.
« Last Edit: 13 Sep 2013, 22:52 by Ghost Hunter »
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Karmilla Strife

• Omelette
« Reply #140 on: 14 Sep 2013, 01:26 »

a better example could be Federation day which is typically more publicly announced than PIE events and almost always incorporates in space activity. I was under the impression that was player driven.

Also my experience with Amarr and Minmatar corps is they typically don't like sharing space with the more hardcore of their rivals. Often they try to ban members at some time or another from going places where baddies lurk.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #141 on: 14 Sep 2013, 01:46 »

a better example could be Federation day which is typically more publicly announced than PIE events and almost always incorporates in space activity. I was under the impression that was player driven.

Also my experience with Amarr and Minmatar corps is they typically don't like sharing space with the more hardcore of their rivals. Often they try to ban members at some time or another from going places where baddies lurk.

Previous Federation Days had actors turning up, this year did not. Unsure if even an ISD turned up this year.

At an earlier event, Mentas Blaque's SDII rally, the event actors only talked in Local, iirc.
\o/

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #142 on: 14 Sep 2013, 06:42 »

Previous Federation Days had actors turning up, this year did not. Unsure if even an ISD turned up this year.

I think you have that backwards. There was an SOE actor there this year.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #143 on: 14 Sep 2013, 06:58 »

I think you have that backwards. There was an SOE actor there this year.

Was there? oh. Did they talk in the Federation Day channel ? or only in local ?

In a previous Federation Day, there was like, the Federation Navy aerobatics team turning up and such.
\o/

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain
« Reply #144 on: 14 Sep 2013, 10:01 »

First, Federation Day is player driven, entirely created by the first fed-loyalists around, it became "canon", when it was mentioned in mission texts.

The First Federation day (YC109) had CCP actors show up, the Blazing Comets from Duripant Navy Academy, i remember at least 3-4 colored texts in local.

No other actors were present on any other Fed day celebrations until this year (YC115), where Anza Sagera of SoE (designated actor in the live events team) showed up for a very brief time (which was enough) and talked just in local.

Fed Day is a celebration made by players for players, a CCP actor is welcomed and certainly validates the efforts of fed loyalists, but its hardly a requirement.

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread
« Reply #145 on: 14 Sep 2013, 17:16 »

Ok, 3 types of channels of communication: Private, semi public, and public.

Private would be 1-on-1's convo's and mail exchanges. The new policy will not affect these (or at least not the mail exchanges), even though people can still complain about "they wrote something relevant to my RP that was in a mail I couldn't see".

Semi-public channels (fleet channels, player locations/events/channels) are obviously affected by the new policy, but it appears that CCP at this moment has no idea exactly how.
Personally, I see no reason why CCP actors can't go into these, as long as they are also present in the IGS so everyone can chat with them.
For one, EVE "rules" dictate that actions have consequences, so if your char has made itself the enemy of the host of a party where Shakor is going to be, and you want to be there but the host won't let you...too bad.
It also would not be realistic if members from the Caldari and Gallente militia's were allowed to visit eachother's intel channels during events, or that the goons would have the right to be present in a discussion concerning how to bypass the Goon gatecamp with the Ishukone freighters on the way to Caldari Prime.
In these semi-public channels things will likely be said that is relevant to someone's RP but that they can't see because they're on the wrong side.
Personally, if I was CCP, I would address any complaints in these situations with a polite "We appreciate your interest in EVE online's backstory and events, and while we understand you don't like missing out and not being able to see said comments, but we hope that you can understand that in order to create an immersive, enjoyable and somewhat realistic RP experience, it would not have been benificial for the event if everyone could attend, regardless of affiliation."

I actually think most roleplayers will understand these things, and that not many complaints will be made if CCP did let actors visit semi-public channels. In my eyes, the only place where exclusion is an issue is the IGS/Summit, where a single channel is the default place for interfactional actor/player interaction. This channel should ideally be 100% public.

TL;DR: I think everyone should be able to speak to/hear actors on the IGS channel, but they should not have the right to read all their messages in other places.
-OOChé

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #146 on: 15 Sep 2013, 04:17 »

I see no evidence has been presented to back up the pretty serious allegation of CCP favouring particular factions in their event actor participation in "the Summit".

Well, that's that then, I guess.
\o/

Desiderya

« Reply #147 on: 15 Sep 2013, 06:13 »

Mitara Newelle

• Omelette
« Reply #148 on: 15 Sep 2013, 20:21 »

We invited the actors via evemail to the PIE ball as a 'we should at least invite them even though they probably won't show' thing.  Obviously we were tickled pink when they did, and it gave us the feeling the Empire was saying 'good job guys, keep up the good work.'  On a larger scale I feel it showed all RPers that what we(RPers) are doing really does have meaning to our factions and to EVE as a whole.

I don't think having these new channels are bad in and of themselves...

...But, it would be a real shame if those were the only channels outside of Local we would be able to talk with these people from now on. It would really lose the realism of 'important people' showing up in player channels once in a while gives.  I hope they change their minds on this if they really are planning on not going any player channels anymore.

My $.02
Section 3) Shitposting. "The cluster would be a much better place if all Amarrians were set on fire"

Aelisha Montenagre

« Reply #149 on: 16 Sep 2013, 02:17 »

I'm not going to have much, if anything, to do with these channels, nor RP in general.  I'll still be hanging around with the OOC crew, fighting the pointless fight (internet philosophers club etc) and messing about, but the scene in general is pretty toxic outside our friendship groups. 

I could go all 'Nostradamus on a bad day' and prophecy doom and a thousand years of genital warts on the new 'initiative' that has been spearheaded under extremely dubious circumstances, but the simple truth is I do not know.  As a volcano may be the best place to grow crops, despite the risk of being burned out of your home once in a while, so may these new channels foster a productive environment, despite allowing those with a track history of base racism and frankly disturbing behavior to 'lead the charge'. 

Stretching the volcano metaphor to the limit, I guess I'm happy enough growing enough rp-esque elements in my game play for subsistence.  Getting burned for a surplus isn't my idea of a good time.

To those of you who do participate - hold yourselves to a high standard, and ensure that you bring the full force of the petition against those who enable or engage in prejudice, bigotry or anything of the sort.  And do try to have fun.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 21