Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Imperial Human Resources is a well-known Amarrian slave company.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: For the Children  (Read 2662 times)

Steffanie Saissore

• Knight Commander (in training)
  • Omelette
  • Lawful Good Pirate
    • Ebon Rose Forum
For the Children
« on: 11 Sep 2013, 16:12 »

As most may have seen, I've started a 'little' rp project regarding providing aid to help establish three orphanage/community support shelter type projects in Minmatar.  I still have a bunch of things I need to write up and get ready for posting, to 'back up' what is being done, but I think I may need some pointers on certain things.

The first one, as I have really no clue how economies work that well and am not an accountant, I am trying to figure the best way to provide adequate details on how the ISK is being put to use.  Part of me wants to do the full blown spreadsheet thing showing as much detail as possible, but I'd just be happy with showing what has been spent to build the facilities and what remains in reserve to cover operations and other expenses.

On top of that, when I said I was going to pay 30m ISK to do this, at the time I simply took one of the wallets in the Corporation, named it "Minmatar Orphanage" and dumped the 30m in there with the plan to actually dump the 3m per year into the wallet.  When others came forward with statements of intent of donating, I the player, kind of freaked out a little...it was not something I expected and I don't really know what to do with it. From a purely RP perspective, I have no issue with someone saying "We donated X to the project", we agree that this happened, I make a note of it somewhere, then move on.  That said, one of the donors actually transferred X amount to my corp for this project.  I have moved that amount into the same wallet and am now trying to figure out what the heck to do.

There is no way I'm going to touch that ISK and right now kind of wish there was a way to make sure that it isn't touched as well as somehow putting it to the RP use it's supposed to be going to and have proof of that.

Any suggestions? And I mean suggestions that are not "sure, send me the ISK and I'll look after it" suggestions :P
"And if the music stops, there's only the sound of the rain.  All the hope and glory, all the sacrifice in vain.  And if love remains though everything is lost, we will pay the price, but we will not count the cost."

Shiki

• Clonejack
Re: For the Children
« Reply #1 on: 11 Sep 2013, 17:09 »

Just a couple ideas:
  • Set up a shell corporation to act as executor for the disbursement of funds associated with the project, or alternately, assign a reputable third party to perform this function. Issue private contracts for specific services and take screengrabs once the terms are 'accepted'. Issue monthly 'audits' including these for accountability.
  • As an example, there are ways for charities to secure federal listing as a certified charitable organization, and there may be government entities in the empires which perform the same function.
  • One way the above is done is by filing forms which publicly disclose the percentage of donated funds which are used to cover administrative costs. This would cover office and facility leases, utility and overhead, and employee salaries, etc. Ultimately the more money going to the intented goal of the charity, the better.
  • If construction is required for new facilities, then there will be larger initial expenditures for permits, contractors, materials, and inspection. Might not look good on the first year annual report.
  • Facilities could be named after major donors (get your capsuleer started on the road of philanthropy!)
  • Some potentially useful classification terms include 'crisis intervention', 'public safety', 'disaster relief', 'youth development', 'human services', 'social advocacy', 'community improvement'.
Hope this is somewhat helpful. Neat idea, btw. ;)

Lyn Farel

« Reply #2 on: 12 Sep 2013, 06:35 »

- Dump it on PI mockups.
- Transfer the funds to a republic NPC actor.

Hope you don't end up like Merdaneth though. Kind of surprised that nobody made the parallel yet.

Steffanie Saissore

• Omelette
  • Lawful Good Pirate
    • Ebon Rose Forum
« Reply #3 on: 12 Sep 2013, 09:06 »

Not sure what the reference to Merdaneth means.

I'm assuming the PI is Planetary Interface...that thought had occurred to me; could just purchase the modules and stuff and use them as 'proof' of activity.  Might actually delve into that aspect of the game at some point.

How would one get a hold of an actor?
"And if the music stops, there's only the sound of the rain.  All the hope and glory, all the sacrifice in vain.  And if love remains though everything is lost, we will pay the price, but we will not count the cost."

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #4 on: 12 Sep 2013, 10:00 »

There was an incident in the past in which Merdaneth claimed to be sponsoring (in a roundabout fashion, of course) a bunch of schools, orphanages, and whatnot in the Republic; obviously they were peaceful proselytizing positions as well, but ultimately quite similar.

Cue lots of people going "YOU'RE AMARR, YOU CAN'T BUILD IN THE REPUBLIC!", culminating in someone claiming to have arrested his staff (without, as best I know, consulting Merdaneth OOC first).

Issue others took with that response was that it seemed to be saying (OOC) "you can't do anything in the Republic, no matter how many shell corporations/false fronts/peaceful assurances/etc you use to make sense IC, you are forbidden from actually doing anything peaceful in the Republic."  The original opponents seemed to feel that the issue was he was implementing these without giving them any chance to respond or interact, which turned out to be kind of wrong - in the end, he decided to run with his staff being arrested and the operations closing up.

I'm assuming the PI is Planetary Interface...that thought had occurred to me; could just purchase the modules and stuff and use them as 'proof' of activity.  Might actually delve into that aspect of the game at some point.

How would one get a hold of an actor?

I'm not especially keen on the "PI alone = proof" thing; IMO, excellent worldbuilding outdoes PI for any planetside installations. PI in conjunction with worldbuilding, though, is not something I'd have any "issues" with. Admittedly, I am biased due to incidents in the past where I felt people misused installations alone to claim proof of (what I felt) ridiculous planetside facilities.

Regarding actors: You can try mailing one, but it's no guarantee of a response.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Steffanie Saissore

• Omelette
  • Lawful Good Pirate
    • Ebon Rose Forum
« Reply #5 on: 12 Sep 2013, 10:16 »

Ah, that makes sense...so far I haven't gotten anything like that...though Vincent did make a snide comment to the effect of why aid the aggressors and not the true victims.

As for the PI; even if I did make use of it, I would still want to do a bit of worldbuilding in conjunction with it. As it stands, I plan on focusing on the RP worldbuilding portion more.

Thanks for the pointers and information; I think I know what I need to do, but any further thoughts/opinions/suggestions/whatnot is more than welcome...been a long time since I did world-building stuff.

Repentence Tyrathlion

• Omelette
  • RIP?
« Reply #6 on: 12 Sep 2013, 10:35 »

Ah, that makes sense...so far I haven't gotten anything like that...though Vincent did make a snide comment to the effect of why aid the aggressors and not the true victims.

:Vince:

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #7 on: 12 Sep 2013, 16:38 »

Edit:

Well all said and done, I wouldn't godmode you as some folks did to Merdaneth. Vince just despises capsuleers who do the humanitarian thing, even more so ones who associate themselves even on polite conversation with the Nation. He's a nihilist, cynic and a misanthrope. Nietzsche would be proud.
« Last Edit: 12 Sep 2013, 16:42 by Vincent Pryce »

Galm Fae

• Wulver / Fury / Pixy
  • Clonejack
  • Yo buddy, still alive?
« Reply #8 on: 12 Sep 2013, 23:01 »

Ew. On one hand, this is totally moittaahn. On the other, who can deny orphans?
#CaldariProblems

Ollie

• Egger
« Reply #9 on: 13 Sep 2013, 07:47 »

#CaldariProblems

Mr Bumble can.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #10 on: 13 Sep 2013, 10:03 »

Unfortunately, actor interaction with player projects is now a thing of the past.  :(
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Repentence Tyrathlion

• Omelette
  • RIP?

Steffanie Saissore

• Omelette
  • Lawful Good Pirate
    • Ebon Rose Forum
« Reply #12 on: 13 Sep 2013, 14:59 »

Unfortunately, actor interaction with player projects is now a thing of the past.  :(
Yup, looks that way. Still, going to write something up...give a general overview of what the project is going to look like and possibly (though I'm not 100% sure of it yet) do a tour of one of the facilities.

Galm Fae

• Wulver / Fury / Pixy
  • Clonejack
  • Yo buddy, still alive?
« Reply #13 on: 13 Sep 2013, 20:01 »

#CaldariProblems

Mr Bumble can.

[spoiler][/spoiler]
Hmmm... House needy children AND get money out of it? Keep thinking like that soldier and you will be a CEO in no time!

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #14 on: 14 Sep 2013, 11:50 »

This seems like a potential opportunity for Havohej shenanigans.  As in, Havo makes ultra-nationalist/racist/inflammatory comments while also supporting the effort/project and donating ISK, thus doing a good deed for terribad reasons and casting a faint shadow of ebil over the whole thing by adding terrorist blood money to the pot.

Would that create a big problem for you?

EDIT:  I'm serious, by the way.  I don't want to shit up your thing by drawing hate and conflict into it if you're really not prepared for and/or open to that eventuality.
« Last Edit: 14 Sep 2013, 12:50 by Havohej »

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.
Pages: [1] 2