Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Ammatars regard themselves as the true rulers of the Minmatars? Read more here.

Author Topic: Worldbuilt places by players  (Read 2426 times)

Lyn Farel

Worldbuilt places by players
« on: 08 Sep 2013, 06:27 »

+ Worldbuilding: Because we're seriously not in danger of running out of planets to build on any time soon.

I therefore had the idea to make a thread where we can all post our infamous world building efforts. It could create a nice library of ideas and concepts and worldbuilt places. If you have some links of various worldbuilding efforts made here and there, please do not hesitate !

Janus V [reworked]
Derelik - Mekashtad

Luminaire - Akahoshi Asteroid
Essence - Crux

Mormeon VII
Everyshore - Osnins

Skarkon II
Molden Heath - Eoldulf

I-MGAB II
Providence - Q-6LG1
« Last Edit: 05 Oct 2013, 04:31 by Lyn Farel »

Anslol

Re: Worldbuilt places by players
« Reply #1 on: 09 Sep 2013, 08:31 »

Someone tell Shin to put her Tierijev stuff in here!!!

Also, would it only be planets? Or cities and city sections too (i.e. Little Mishi, Deuvoaut Ave, etc)?

Lyn Farel

« Reply #2 on: 09 Sep 2013, 10:58 »

Whatever works. It's world building, not planet building. vOv

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #3 on: 09 Sep 2013, 11:36 »

I have a bunch of stuff for my settings in Origin half written up. I really need to finish that.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Shintoko Akahoshi

• Red Mom of War(?)
  • Pod Captain
  • Red Mom of War!
« Reply #4 on: 09 Sep 2013, 13:16 »

Someone tell Shin to put her Tierijev stuff in here!!!

Also, would it only be planets? Or cities and city sections too (i.e. Little Mishi, Deuvoaut Ave, etc)?

The Tierijev stuff suffered with the nerf bat. That which survived made it into my Akahoshi Asteroid evelopedia article.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #5 on: 09 Sep 2013, 15:33 »

I also wrote this article on Skarkon II a ways back. I have it mirrored on evelopedia as well.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Zsaryna Adrelana

• Clonejack
« Reply #6 on: 13 Sep 2013, 14:47 »

I wrote a bit about a military city I built on the Ni-Kunni homeworld of Mishi, and I also developed a bit about Imperial Naval dynasty politics, which I could reproduce here if people want to read it.

Jandice Ymladris

• Collector of Civilians!
  • Wetgraver
    • Aurora Arcology News
« Reply #7 on: 04 Oct 2013, 06:35 »

Currently into the start of a worldbuilding project, continuing an older project. The current info about the planet & wordlbuilding is credit to the 4TH District members. It's in providence, the I-MGAB system, planet II (Ayem):

[Planet/Colony] I-MGAB II (Ayem) in Providence
Edit: Decided to give it it's own thread, as not to let the discussion about it clog up this thread.

You can follow it on the Aurora Arcology Blog or the 4TH District forum. Note; not much has happened yet as I only recently got active in it.
« Last Edit: 05 Oct 2013, 01:34 by Jandice Ymladris »

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain
« Reply #8 on: 04 Oct 2013, 09:44 »

an example of worldbuilding here on backstage

http://backstage.eve-inspiracy.com/index.php?topic=1424.0

try to always use the evemaps info on planet attributes to describe atmospheric/geologic attributes on the planet.

For example, mean temperature is quite high, which would indicate a sort of "greenhouse" effect even though it sits 1.5au out of the its K5v star (a colder star and smaller than our sun).

Gravity is very low, less than half of earth, but size is exactly half.....which means is a little less dense (most likely because of a smaller rocky core and more water).

The "steppes" and land locations you explain should be quite unique....oceanic worlds in general do not have a solid surface....ice sheets would be plausible, atolls.....even floating man-made structures....but large locations should be extremely rare. Sub-surface cities though are interesting engineering concepts.

http://evemaps.dotlan.net/system/Janus/V
http://evemaps.dotlan.net/system/Janus/Star

Also i try to put the planet itself in context with the rest of the stellar system....in particular Janus has no other inhabitable planet, 2 lava, 3 barren, 2 gas giants and 1 plasma planet indicate the composition of the whole system is exotic.

Janus V might be a great planet for huge roaming ship-cities that receive workers coming from the other planets facilities (if any).

As ship cities goes, and given low-gravity, maybe huge mobile fisheries are good business.....oversized salmon yummy!

(note: for planet comparison i use these http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectral_classification )

good start though.

Jandice Ymladris

• Wetgraver
    • Aurora Arcology News
« Reply #9 on: 04 Oct 2013, 10:32 »

try to always use the evemaps info on planet attributes to describe atmospheric/geologic attributes on the planet.
Your worldbuilding about Mormoen is impressive! Doubt I'll ever be that good. The tips you give are indeed correct and are the ones I live by (no ignoring PF/ingame Lore)

The planet's data is a direct copy of the ingame ones  (with an added explanation if it's a 'normal' parameter or not) Of all the Temperate planets in the region, it was actually the only one that was habitable and without crazy physics going on.
I also take into consideration on how the planet looks ingame (it's very mountanious, will come in play later).

The I-MGAB solarsystem itself is weird tho... like many systems in Eve (planets get hotter the further away from the sun?) It has second temperate world at 10 AU out (that's pluto distance!) so that's practically impossible to explain(not even greenhouse can help here). But at least outside that it doesnt' have any physics defying stuff like foam-density planets, or planets whirring around their star at fractions of lightspeed. Stars themselves tend to defy physics as well, but to balance it, I usually take their spectral class as lore as that is a solid parameter (as you do it I guess). In this case, it's a K3 star (bit bigger & cooler then our sun)
For planet comparisions I usually use http://solarsystem.nasa.gov/planets/charchart.cfm

On the Industry, still in the info-gathering fase for that, I'm building on someone else project, so I go with what they had (and give it my own flavor as i expand on it, but your idea about the fishery is certainly a very good one!)

Lyn Farel

« Reply #10 on: 04 Oct 2013, 12:37 »

For example, mean temperature is quite high, which would indicate a sort of "greenhouse" effect even though it sits 1.5au out of the its K5v star (a colder star and smaller than our sun).

Gravity is very low, less than half of earth, but size is exactly half.....which means is a little less dense (most likely because of a smaller rocky core and more water).

The "steppes" and land locations you explain should be quite unique....oceanic worlds in general do not have a solid surface....ice sheets would be plausible, atolls.....even floating man-made structures....but large locations should be extremely rare. Sub-surface cities though are interesting engineering concepts.

http://evemaps.dotlan.net/system/Janus/V
http://evemaps.dotlan.net/system/Janus/Star

Also i try to put the planet itself in context with the rest of the stellar system....in particular Janus has no other inhabitable planet, 2 lava, 3 barren, 2 gas giants and 1 plasma planet indicate the composition of the whole system is exotic.

Janus V might be a great planet for huge roaming ship-cities that receive workers coming from the other planets facilities (if any).

As ship cities goes, and given low-gravity, maybe huge mobile fisheries are good business.....oversized salmon yummy!

(note: for planet comparison i use these http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectral_classification )

good start though.

Thanks for the feedback.

At first this was not intended at all to be an exhaustive description of the planet and world building. I also don't like making assumptions for planets in their entirety as it flirts with godmodding. Your ideas are good though, for the local region.

On the solid landmass, I took it several years ago at first like Harlan's World in Takeshi Kovacs novels, which is covered of archipelagos. It sounded oceanic enough, but apparently a true oceanic world is completely covered by water, which makes sense scientifically, so, maybe I will retcon a few things, and make something more exhaustive eventually, if I find the time...

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain
« Reply #11 on: 04 Oct 2013, 12:54 »

Your worldbuilding about Mormoen is impressive! Doubt I'll ever be that good. The tips you give are indeed correct and are the ones I live by (no ignoring PF/ingame Lore)

Thanks, and don't you can't write good stuff, i'm sure you will surprise us all  :D

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 04 Oct 2013, 21:49 »

like many systems in Eve (planets get hotter the further away from the sun?) It has second temperate world at 10 AU out (that's pluto distance!) so that's practically impossible to explain(not even greenhouse can help here). But at least outside that it doesnt' have any physics defying stuff like foam-density planets, or planets whirring around their star at fractions of lightspeed. Stars themselves tend to defy physics as well, but to balance it, I usually take their spectral class as lore as that is a solid parameter (as you do it I guess). In this case, it's a K3 star (bit bigger & cooler then our sun)
For planet comparisions I usually use http://solarsystem.nasa.gov/planets/charchart.cfm

10 AU is roughly Saturn and star brightness has a lot to do with habitable zone size.

Atmospheric thickness is important to achieving sufficient heat for liquid water, it might be possible to have internally generated heating.

Another option... (rabbit hole for LDIS archaeology division)  there may be some ancient terraforming mechanisms/artifacts that increase the total captured star light on the planet.

On the Industry, still in the info-gathering fase for that, I'm building on someone else project, so I go with what they had (and give it my own flavor as i expand on it, but your idea about the fishery is certainly a very good one!)

LDIS subsidiary is currently working to produce Polyarmids off of Ayem.   ;)

Edit: You can add Supercomputers!
« Last Edit: 04 Oct 2013, 22:05 by orange »

Jandice Ymladris

• Wetgraver
    • Aurora Arcology News
« Reply #13 on: 05 Oct 2013, 01:57 »

10 AU is roughly Saturn and star brightness has a lot to do with habitable zone size.
Atmospheric thickness is important to achieving sufficient heat for liquid water, it might be possible to have internally generated heating.
Another option... (rabbit hole for LDIS archaeology division)  there may be some ancient terraforming mechanisms/artifacts that increase the total captured star light on the planet.

Aha, indeed that was a error on my part!The star however is dimmer & cooler then our sun (albeit a bit larger) Still makes the second terrestrial hard to explain, as it's atmospheric pressure is far below earth's. Large internal heating process and high geologic activity would be an option and certainly a possibility as it has 3 moons so that'll provide some good internal heating. Would make the planet not very friendly to human habitation however.
The Alien tech did cross my mind, but using it as explanation can lead you to fall into logic/RP traps of the kind 'Aliens/Wizard did it!' Prefer to use a RL explanation when I can, untill it's to far fetched and alien tech/magic sounds more probable. Still doesn't rule out some ruins are left there from some previous settlement/civ.

LDIS subsidiary is currently working to produce Polyarmids off of Ayem.   ;)

Edit: You can add Supercomputers!
Aha good to know! Still gathering information about the Ayem industries so great to have this bit!

To readers: having a discussion with folks, making your worldbuilding an effort of multiple people helps in fleshing it out, but also helps with contributions, especially if you (like me!) only started recently and are prone to mistakes. People can also have idea's and suggestions you haven't tought of in the first place, enhancing the creative process.
It does depend of course on the nature of your worldbuilding project, in my case it's meant as a continious, expanding project over time.