Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That, even on non-capsuleer vessels, ship command sections are designed to be sheared off and function as an escape capsule? (The Burning Life p. 85)

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Unusual RP angles: Sansha Edition  (Read 7006 times)

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
Re: Unusual RP angles: Sansha Edition
« Reply #15 on: 22 May 2010, 12:51 »

I think that the 'borg' comparison is an easy trap to fall into.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #16 on: 22 May 2010, 13:01 »

How about "space zombies"?

IzzyChan

• Omelette
  • 20% cooler in 10 seconds flat
    • IzzyBlog
« Reply #17 on: 22 May 2010, 13:30 »

I always treated the Sansha angle as epic cyberpunk and spikey robot styles.

:/

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #18 on: 22 May 2010, 13:35 »

Well you're a toaster now. Grats.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #19 on: 22 May 2010, 13:46 »

Agreed, but we have lots of cyberpunk fodder in this game. What do you like about Sansha over the cyberpunkish stuff? :)

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #20 on: 22 May 2010, 14:06 »

There are some important pieces of infomation which I think is often overlooked, which actually forms the basis of my Sansha RP. This comes from the Sansha chronicles:

... countless millions of followers were eventually attracted to Sansha's dream of a better way, a new Paradise where every citizen was free to pursue their dreams.

His dream was that these zombie-like True Slaves would free other more worthy people to pursue peaceful and productive lives.

I view Sansha as a Utopian visionary, so when I decided to move my RP in this direction for IC reasons, because in character I had been snubbed by the Amarr hardliners, I did a bit of research into real life Utopian ideals and read some real life research dissertation papers on the subject of how to achieve Utopia on earth.

Okay, cool, this is very helpful... :)

Re: Cyberpunk, Nation seems more akin to the Machines from the Matrix, in terms of aesthetic. Then again I'm pretty terrible at defining cyberpunk. Even the Federation has the capability for it, if an aspect of cyberpunk is futuristic megacorporations influencing futuristic democratic government.

I would say the Empire has the least scope for it, seeming to fall into "Generic fantasy empire in space". Or somethin'.
« Last Edit: 22 May 2010, 14:09 by Seriphyn »

IzzyChan

• Omelette
    • IzzyBlog
« Reply #21 on: 22 May 2010, 14:11 »

Agreed, but we have lots of cyberpunk fodder in this game. What do you like about Sansha over the cyberpunkish stuff? :)

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #22 on: 22 May 2010, 14:26 »

I would say the Empire has the least scope for it, seeming to fall into "Generic fantasy empire in space". Or somethin'.

Not for nothing, but I notice that sometimes you think that certain areas have lots of limits because you see them as mapped to some generic archetype plus "in space". I tend to see it slightly differently, where players find lots of ways to expand nooks and crannies in inventive ways. Who says that cyberpunk can't include theocratic elements? And Khanid cyberknights... well.

Anyway, yes, spiky ships FTW.

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain
« Reply #23 on: 22 May 2010, 15:38 »

The giant blade on the front of the Phantasm regularly makes me wish I could ram ships whenever I'm flying mine.

Vieve

« Reply #24 on: 22 May 2010, 16:19 »

Celeste has Sanshan tendencies.  They'd be more pronounced if the Sansha were just repurposing criminals or the terminally fucked-up for the greater good of humanity.1 Since they're not, there's zero risk of her joining the cause.

Not that she's a medical doctor, but as things are now, she'd be willing to assist in the vivisection2 of a capsuleer Sansha supporter in the effort to determine if they're controlled, or merely deluded/opportunistic.

1 E.g. Farscape, Season Two, Episode 18, "A Clockwork Nebari".
2 'Cause if you just kill the bastards, they'll come back.  There's also something to be said for having the opportunity to see if/how a Sansha can be separated from its "controller". 

Arvo Katsuya

• Noble Appliance
  • Egger
« Reply #25 on: 22 May 2010, 17:47 »

Arvo has some tendencies towards their viewpoint too, most particularly of all understanding the connection of "All for the good of many" ideal prevailant in Caldari culture that is linked to the Nation. That frame of thinking in sacrificing part of the individual for the whole is how his ancestors managed to survive on their homeworld long ago. He also has certain beliefs of his own that wouldn't mesh well with Caldari culture, kept hidden but feeling they would be welcome in the Nation.

However, he has at the same time trouble understanding with recent events why they're going around snatching civilians clusterwide at this magnitude and force. Kuvakei being a Deteis himself, should understand also from Caldari beliefs, the importance of not forcing your own idiologies onto other people.

So, if the Nation took a more subtle approach, he would be more prone to joining this side. I think the Nation needs a better PR campaign. :P
« Last Edit: 22 May 2010, 18:08 by Arvo Katsuya »

IzzyChan

• Omelette
    • IzzyBlog
« Reply #26 on: 22 May 2010, 18:35 »

Are you kidding? Naqam has some of the most hilarious PR campaigns evar.

And we're not even done yet. :E

Arvo Katsuya

• Noble Appliance
  • Egger
« Reply #27 on: 22 May 2010, 20:39 »

Is that so?

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #28 on: 22 May 2010, 21:07 »

That would be, your character's interpretations of Deteis beliefs?

Arvo Katsuya

• Noble Appliance
  • Egger
« Reply #29 on: 22 May 2010, 21:14 »

I thought that was more a canonical, general Caldari mindset. Not just Deteis. I apologize if specifying Kuvakei's race detracted from the direction I was going in for my post. But yes... from Arvo's perspective.
Pages: 1 [2] 3