Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the cocktail "Wild Rose" is created by Vincent Pryce and it is named after Ciarente Roth?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: CCP Soundwave Peacing (as in leaving)  (Read 5704 times)

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
Re: CCP Soundwave Peacing (as in leaving)
« Reply #15 on: 08 Sep 2013, 13:25 »

If only the Incarna launch hadn't been such a complete debacle.

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread
« Reply #16 on: 08 Sep 2013, 13:35 »

If only...
Anyway, when I read the link, ccp-soundwave-announces-departure-riot, at first I thought he was organizing a Jita Protest because he had to depart CCP.
-OOChé

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #17 on: 08 Sep 2013, 15:22 »

If only it had been resembling the prototype we saw video of way back, with all the minigames and shit. Like the EVE secon genesis card game stopped making RL, they were planning to put it ingame... It'd been win.

Instead... We got gfx card frying wankfest that both discarded the original visual style of EVE that I found very appealing ( my pink translucent gallente shirt motherfuckers, I want it back). As such we will never see the caldari admiral jacket and the Zorg hairstyle we got teased with... Or any of the bloodline variant designs which were pretty epic, instead we've gotten more wank clothing -in different colour.

Shame Soundwave is moving on though, he did fine job as a lead designer. I hope the chick who gave the presentation about building stargates ( CCP seagul? Dun remember ) and such gets a shot at leaddesign. I loved her ideas and future vision.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #18 on: 08 Sep 2013, 16:00 »

IIRC the deal there was that the demo'ed Incarna version ran on somebody else's proprietary engine. I'm not sure if there were issues with getting a distribution license to begin with, or the cost of getting it, or an insistence on thing being bleeding-edge tech...

Anyhow, yeah. Seagull's been bearing the bringer-of-actually-decent-ideas torch a bit lately.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #19 on: 08 Sep 2013, 16:32 »

Seagull already outranked Soundwave I think, she's Exec.Producer of EVE or something.

The ship balances have been good. They've been great actually. However, I do not believe they took a company of 2-300 people to do.

I think that EVE has been running on a much smaller staff than we've been led to believe.

I think that CCP has been putting a lot more work on other projects than we've thought.

I think that, perhaps, being in charge of EVE within CCP means that you are not working on the Flagship Product.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #20 on: 08 Sep 2013, 18:06 »

Seagull and Soundwave were totally different disciplines.

I'd be interested in knowing how much of our money goes to making Eve and how much of it goes to future product. Has DUST turned a profit? If it did, would any of that money be ploughed back into Eve or is Eve not going to attract that kind of investment now?

I'd also be interested in knowing how the teams stack up, numbers wise, what the projected goals are for Eve going forward. Can we look forward to iterative treatments of existing gameplay, such as Sov, Ratting, Mining, Industry and Faction Warfare? Is something new in the pipeline?

I hope these are all things that the CSM are asking and that they aren't wasting their access on campaigning for a rebalance of their favourite ships.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #21 on: 08 Sep 2013, 18:38 »

There are big things in the pipeline for EVE, folks.

Even Seagull has been giddy about them. You should read the CSM minutes for the past two years. There's a LOT coming up.

DeadRow

• Bit of a Dick
  • Omelette
  • Loyal to herself
« Reply #22 on: 08 Sep 2013, 18:47 »

We'll see.

[12:40:50] Kasuko Merin > He has this incredible talent for making posts at people that could be <i>literally</i> quoted straight back at him and still apply.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #23 on: 08 Sep 2013, 23:10 »

We'll see.

This so much.

EVE has been on autopilot so to speak for years.  Stat fixes, small changes.  The main resources are obviously being spent elsewhere.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #24 on: 09 Sep 2013, 00:39 »

IIRC the deal there was that the demo'ed Incarna version ran on somebody else's proprietary engine. I'm not sure if there were issues with getting a distribution license to begin with, or the cost of getting it, or an insistence on thing being bleeding-edge tech...

Usually it's a lot better to have your own tech when you can develop it and keep it up to date since you can tailor it precisely to your needs and make it evolve specifically for your game(s). And you don't have to pay for the license but that's not a big problem if you are able to afford the cost of development for your proprietary engine, to begin with. It costs a lot for very small studios that actually don't have the means to develop their own engine i'm guessing.

I think it was more the latter as a solution, imo. Don't know where they screwed though. Too ambitious and unable to make it work in the context they wanted ? Maybe.

Anabella Rella

• Not angry, just passionate dammit!
  • Wetgraver
« Reply #25 on: 09 Sep 2013, 01:34 »

I've seen players speculate on the Eve-O forums that CCP's taken resources from Eve and used them to develop other products like Dust, World of Darkness or some new unannounced property. I don't know whether that's happening or not but, if it is I have no problem with it. In order to grow CCP needs to diversify. They can't continue rely solely on a 10 year old niche game that has a reputation for being extremely difficult to learn and populated by a playerbase only slightly more friendly than a pissed off hungry lion. It's simply not realistic. It's like someone who just bought a Cadillac demanding that their money remain within that division for its sole development, not to be used to fund R & D for GM's other brands.

Having said that I totally agree that CCP needs to devote more time keeping Eve relevant by delivering something new. Stat tweaking, bug fixing, and iterating on neglected content are all very much needed but, hardly the kinds of things that will get excited new subscribers throwing them money or generating buzz in the gaming media. CCP seriously needs to get past its post-Incarna risk aversion and innovate.

Dammit, I want that CQ door opened! I want to gamble, plot with corpmates, run missions, get into bar brawls, visit stores, etc. I want to get out of the pod and interact with other players in ways beyond just shooting their flashy icons or typing into a text box. I've been having fun doing just that recently in STO but, I really want to be able to do that in Eve.
I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #26 on: 09 Sep 2013, 02:01 »

I heard rumours that their engine is unable to handle anything properly beyond a single avatar on screen. And that's also why they completely changed their minds and finally chose to use a commercial one for WoD... If Incarna was really the beta test for the engine before WoD, then it says nothing good about the possibility to see it expanded.

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #27 on: 09 Sep 2013, 06:43 »

I've been having fun doing just that recently in STO but, I really want to be able to do that in Eve.

Me too. :cube:

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #28 on: 09 Sep 2013, 08:38 »

They are missing a huge opportunity.

All of these other 'games' need to be the -same- game.

One client portal, one subscription.

Valkrie, walking in stations, planetary fighting, dust, Eve that we know, etc.

One client portal, log in, and to be able to do all of those things.  That is the thing to sell and the brand to push. One universe, one game, infinite possibilities.

Anslol

« Reply #29 on: 09 Sep 2013, 08:41 »

Programming says no, sadly. I work with a lot of IT people. I actually brought it up once in a convo and they basically said 'nope.' It MIGHT be possible, but the amount of work needed to put into it, the complicated coding, the amount of servers, etc...you'd see sub rates rise higher just to support the project before ever even seeing its first live implementations.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5