Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Sebiestor has embraced the pet-name Sinister Ones, given to them by the Amarr? Read more here

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: FC Guide?  (Read 8635 times)

Anslol

FC Guide?
« on: 03 Sep 2013, 10:18 »

Is there a guide to help new FC's learn about different strategies for different fleet size? For instance:

Fleet=3-7 Members
1) Do this
2) Do that
3) Have this

Fleet=8-15 Members
1) Do this
2) Don't do that
2a) WHAT DID I JUST SAY?!
3) Have this to make up for ignoring number 2

Fleet=15-30
1) Do this
2) Don't do that (seriously)
2a) Good job
3) Have this
4) Watch for that

Fleet=30-50+
1) Welp...

My roams are uh...getting bigger now :S Could use some lessons.

Edit: Or would helping me be considered aiding the enemy for some?? OR IS IT?! IT'S A CONSPIRACY! I AM FOUND OUT!!! AAAAAH!!!
* Anslol flees
« Last Edit: 03 Sep 2013, 10:34 by Anslol »

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain
Re: FC Guide?
« Reply #1 on: 03 Sep 2013, 10:37 »

Anslol

« Reply #2 on: 03 Sep 2013, 10:54 »

....wooooow that's a lot....
I mean it helps cause it talks about logi, EWAR, etc but...wooooow.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #3 on: 03 Sep 2013, 12:09 »

A few here on backstage as well. Try using the research, too lazy to try it myself after that day tbh.

Anslol

« Reply #4 on: 03 Sep 2013, 12:14 »

What day?..

Lyn Farel

« Reply #5 on: 03 Sep 2013, 12:19 »

Today.

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain

Merdaneth

• Pod Captain
« Reply #7 on: 06 Sep 2013, 16:59 »

PvP strategies, I hope not. Besides, if you have decent PvP knowledge, that scales up excellently with larger gangs.

Communication however scales up very badly, and thus good communication becomes more important than good decisions.

Oddly enought, the bigger your fleet get the less your fleet members have to do while your job gets busier. This means the odds of people going off on their own, not paying attention or doing something stupid goes up while your ability to notice such stuff it goes down.

So, basically, the larger your fleet, the simpler your orders need to be, the more often you need to repeat them: KISS.

Some FCs do informal 'tests' where they see if everybody is aligning properly before they commit to a fight to judge the ability of their fleet to follow orders.

Also, the better you need to be at keeping the spirits up of those people in your fleet that often having nothing interesting to do for a 30 minute stretch at a time while you're juggling 10 tasks at the same time.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #8 on: 06 Sep 2013, 22:51 »

Keep it fun

Don't rage too hard for losing or people fucking up

Repeat your voice commands often in a clear, steady tone.

Everyone in the fleet can tell super fast if you are having a good time and keeping it breezy vs a stressball who is about to have a nervous breakdown.  Your emotional state will translate to how everyone else operates as well.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #9 on: 08 Sep 2013, 09:58 »

Also having a general idea of what to do in what situations ahead of time helps immensely.

A good little thought game is to have some of your friends give you random lists of 5 or 6 ships and for you to mentally figure out a target order as fast as you can.

Also having a good idea in your head about relative strengths of groups will save you a lot of pain and death.   Getting a rough number of enemies and their ship types, measuring it against your fleet, and knowing if you can have a good fight, die horribly, or wipe the floor with them, will be very useful. 

As you get to know your people better you'll start to know if you can push those odds up or down in either direction and make better decisions to fight or not.

The other super important thing, at least once the ships start getting bigger and more tanky for you, is making judgments on if enemy tanks are breaking, going to break, or is it time to switch targets.  Your most valuable resource is always TIME.  If you spend 30 seconds shooting the most tanky enemy ship and it's getting reps and you get nowhere, you are wasting your time and your people are dying.   You have to be able to kind of quickly figure out if you are shooting the wrong thing and if there is a better thing to shoot.

Many many fights that I've won have just been due to bad target calling by the badguys, going after big, tanky, or flashy ships instead of killing things and reducing incoming damage. 

Many fights I've lost have been for the same reason.

Anslol

« Reply #10 on: 09 Sep 2013, 07:39 »

OK, here's a situation I ran into and couldn't win cause well, we weren't in big enough ships. But still. The enemy composition was;

2x Vexors (armor tank)
1x Vexor (speed tank)
1x Thorax
1x Caracal
1x Exequror OR 2x Guardians (they switched)

In my mind, if we had an equivalent fleet with cruisers and logi, I would think to assault and neut their logi first. Reason being is that no matter how hard they hit us, it's pointless to hit back because they'll be repped, and deepsing through reps is time better spent deepsing the rep source.

So my priority would be the logi, focus on the exequror, or focus on disabling their chain (ewar 1 logi/neut 1, kill other). THEN, go after the caracal, then vexors, then thorax.

Logical?

If so...GIMME MORE TESTS.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #11 on: 09 Sep 2013, 08:15 »

Generally yea that's the way to go!

But occasionally you might have enough blap to just ignore their reps entirely.  You can always toss all your ewar/neuts onto one of the logis and then just work on your primaries since the chain will be dead and the logi's fairly useless. 

Sometimes especially with cruisers they just don't have the buffer to survive more than a handful of volleys and you can blap them out before logi gets to work on them very much.

Anslol

« Reply #12 on: 09 Sep 2013, 08:17 »

Fascinating...

....can I get another scenario/test? LOL

EDIT: I actually have one.

I had a fleet of 10-11 with logi, ewar, heavy destroyer count. We've torn through AFs before with minimal losses but were jumped by about 18 AF's/Faction frigates (enyos, hawks, IN slicer, comet, etc). I had has warp out cause I didn't think we could handle it...but in retrospect, we've demolished AFs before. Could I have taken them? They had no logi or ewar to speak of, but their deeps were like WHOA.
« Last Edit: 09 Sep 2013, 08:26 by Anslol »

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #13 on: 09 Sep 2013, 08:34 »

Ask Merd, my frig/destroyer meta is fairly shite :P

I mean on paper if you are all shooting the right stuff at the same time you should be able to pop all those guys in like 1 or 2 volleys each?  Just alpha, next, alpha, next, alpha, next all the way down the line.

Anslol

« Reply #14 on: 09 Sep 2013, 08:35 »

Speed tank says no...I think.
Pages: [1] 2