Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The command division of the Angel Cartel is called the Dominations.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: The OOC/IC Divide, Corporate Security, and the Spy Metagame  (Read 7886 times)

Natalcya Katla

• Captain farkin' Cardboard
  • Omelette

To me, the "default mode" of a breach of trust in-game is entirely OOC. My reaction to having that happen to me will depend on several factors, such as the seriousness of the offense, just how good a friend I thought you were (some people's betrayals hurt worse than others, and there are a few friends I've gained through EVE who I do trust deeply), how likable I find you in general, how impressed I am with what you did, whether or not I had a bad day IRL, and several other things. I will react in any way I choose to, IC or OOC, within the limits of the EULA in-game and the law OOG. This may include such things as never allowing you or any of your known alts into any corp of mine ever again, naming and shaming, warning other people about you and limiting my interactions between any or all of your characters and any or all of my characters in whatever ways I damn well please. I may react completely differently toward two different people over the exact same offense, without feeling any particular compulsion to explain or to justify that bias to anyone.

If you break the trust of other people I know, I will also react in whichever way I please, which may very well be biased by my like or dislike for the victim(s) of the offense.

In short, a metagame break of trust is a social action and will invoke a social response, which may vary widely according to context and whim.
Ava Starfire > There is evil.
Ava Starfire > Outright evil.
Ruby Amatucci > Hello!

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist

To me, the "default mode" of a breach of trust in-game is entirely OOC. My reaction to having that happen to me will depend on several factors, such as the seriousness of the offense, just how good a friend I thought you were (some people's betrayals hurt worse than others, and there are a few friends I've gained through EVE who I do trust deeply), how likable I find you in general, how impressed I am with what you did, whether or not I had a bad day IRL, and several other things. I will react in any way I choose to, IC or OOC, within the limits of the EULA in-game and the law OOG. This may include such things as never allowing you or any of your known alts into any corp of mine ever again, naming and shaming, warning other people about you and limiting my interactions between any or all of your characters and any or all of my characters in whatever ways I damn well please. I may react completely differently toward two different people over the exact same offense, without feeling any particular compulsion to explain or to justify that bias to anyone.

If you break the trust of other people I know, I will also react in whichever way I please, which may very well be biased by my like or dislike for the victim(s) of the offense.

In short, a metagame break of trust is a social action and will invoke a social response, which may vary widely according to context and whim.

And here we have a response so perfectly simple, accurate and honest in comparison to my own views that I need not make mine known. "This_TBH.jpg"

I would also have to agree with other sentiment in here - it is absolutely foolish not to act on OOC gained information IC if the action blocks or hinders or somehow mitigates serious damage to self, corp or friends. If anyone tells you OOC they plan to rob your or a friend's corp, you would be quite... well, of questionable capacity if you did not act on it. If you plan to rob someone OOC, you keep you mouth shut about it until the deed is done and known. I see no reason why this is not the case IC - by all means rob the corp for IC reasons, you might even get IC responses, but they are likely to be just as aggressive as any OOC reactions would be, if not worse.

Gaven Lok ri

• Omelette

And here we have a response so perfectly simple, accurate and honest in comparison to my own views that I need not make mine known. "This_TBH.jpg"

I would also have to agree with other sentiment in here - it is absolutely foolish not to act on OOC gained information IC if the action blocks or hinders or somehow mitigates serious damage to self, corp or friends. If anyone tells you OOC they plan to rob your or a friend's corp, you would be quite... well, of questionable capacity if you did not act on it. If you plan to rob someone OOC, you keep you mouth shut about it until the deed is done and known. I see no reason why this is not the case IC - by all means rob the corp for IC reasons, you might even get IC responses, but they are likely to be just as aggressive as any OOC reactions would be, if not worse.

I think its worth pointing out the only people who I can recall seeing insisting that someone should not act if they find out OOC that someone else intends to infiltrate and or rob their corp are the people who are planning exactly that action and got found out OOC.

Everyone else seems to be on the same page that of course you act to prevent things like corp theft.
« Last Edit: 22 Jul 2013, 05:08 by Gaven Lok ri »

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran

This is actually one area where I have a bit of a problem with Eve as an RPG.

Ruthless rules set + high stakes + extensive metagame = busted immersion.

Left to my own devices, I would LIKE to believe I would be willing to let Awful Things happen to my character-- including getting my inventory looted, etc., if the character had not acted prudently in ways that would prevent the theft. Suffering makes a good story; endless series of "winwinwinwin" are not interesting and are not even very fun to play.

'Course, Eve tends to hand you misfortune even if it doesn't turn up like a metagame thief in the night.

I originally came to Eve because I was tired of playing in worlds where nothing we did mattered. Now I'm in one where everything matters unless it relates to permadeath or an NPC organization, and the very thing that drew me to Eve is also compromising my realism.

Irritating. Also one of those things that comes with the territory.

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread

If a player was infiltrating my corp IC and told me about it OOC in order to avoid breaking OOC trust, I would wish he had not told me. The knowledge could influence my IC behaviour, and I don't like that.

Does anyone else feel the same way?
-OOChé

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press

Frankly, I would immediately remove him, and be very glad that he told me.
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]